iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking at a used vacuum kiln

Started by Sawyerfortyish, September 04, 2013, 06:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Im looking at a used woodmizer vacuum kiln. What should I look at? Im thinking door seal and pump for starters but dont know much about them. It has all the blankets with it. A man near me passed away that had it and his daughter is trying to sell it. I was thinking about calling woodmizer to see what they think its worth. Anyone got any buying tips.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Can you tell how many hours it has been used?  If the usage is low over the past twenty or so years, why wasn't it used more?  I would think that if it was a really good machine for drying, then it should have a lot of use, especially because they were so expensive.  When you talk to WM, you might ask them if they know why they stopped making them. 

You might see if the person will rent it to you for two months so you can try it out.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

Look at the aluminum bead that holds the door seal and make sure it's not corroded. Check the construction of the vacuum pump. It needs to be stainless steel. Get an ohmmeter and make sure there are no blown fuses. Is it a 1000 or 2000?

Sawyerfortyish

I was told 1500ft would fit in it. She also said her dad was having trouble with some of the blankets. It was working but not like it should. My brother,my son and I will take a good look at it in the next week. 3 sets of eyes are better than one. Im not sure how much it got used this guy ran a small band mill and made cabinets. He was in a residential lake community probably not when he started but over the years things grew around him. So there was limits as to what he could do.

Den Socling

old3dogg

Sawyerfortyish

We decided to pass on this one I dont need to look for any more problems they just seem to find me on there own  :D

old3dogg

For what's it worth, Den did modify one of these kilns and it worked well.

Thank You Sponsors!