iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your first job...what job and pay.

Started by timberlinetree, November 12, 2016, 04:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Freed

I made $1.50 - $2.00/ hr putting up hay for several farmers when I was 11 or 12. I got my first steady job working for a farmer for $1.50/hr at 15.

Kbeitz

First job was in 1968 and I started work at Magee Carpet Co.
chasing the girls around... At least that what I remember doing
most of the time... I think my pay was $1.65 hr.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

My dad had a business making wrought iron railings. When I was small, I would help him on installations on weekends. Later my parents had a kitchen and bath business. Same thing doing installations on Saturdays. When I got my drivers license, I got a job pumping gas for around $1.50 per hour. The station also housed the area ambulance. One of my jobs was keeping it clean which was sometimes an ugly job after a traffic accident. When I was in college, I got a job at a sports car shop pulling and replacing engines and transmissions. My specialty was British cars. I moved to Phoenix and started pumping gas again. I think I got around $1.90 per hour even if I worked 90 hours per week. I went back to PA and got a temporary job in manufacturing. After 6 weeks, the production department offered me a job as a supervisor but the engineering department offered a job as an engineering technician. I took the job with engineering. After a couple years, a guy who was president of a manufacturing company that built scientific instruments offered me a job. I took it and was their production manager for 10 years. Feeling restless, I decided to start my own company. That led me to vacuum kilns that I have been working with for about 30+ years.

glassman_48

My uncle had a large construction business in Plymouth Michigan.  When I was 10 he paid me $1.00 per hour to come and pull weeds out of their garden.  I was so excited, I couldn't sleep the night before, skipped breakfast rode my bike over to their house and got there early.  It was about 95 degrees that day and just before noon I almost passed out.  Years later I found out about being hypoglycemic, I hadn't had any sleep, no food and don't remember drinking any water.  My cousin threw my bike in the back of his pickup and took me home.  I was devastated, never thought anyone would ever ask me to work for them again. I went back the next day after a good breakfast and finished the job.  I will never forget the look on my cousins face when he had to take me home.  My other uncle had a greenhouse business also in Plymouth, all my older brothers worked there during junior high helping him.  I started there when I was 11 and got paid 2 dollars an hour.  My aunt and uncle always made me a good lunch and made me drink plenty of water it easily got over 100 in the greenhouses during the summer. I worked there until I was 18 every summer.

terrifictimbersllc

Mid 60's, paper route don't remember maybe $2 per day. Painting in the summer, $1.50/hr.  First job punching clock at 17 unloading lumber by hand from boxcars, $1.65/hr
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawguy21

That brings some painful memories. At 17 I was a skinny kid, a good wind would have blown me away. The first day on the job was spent with old Ed unloading a rail car of bagged cement with hand trucks onto a 1 ton flat deck. We then had to hand bomb into the warehouse because they didn't have a fork lift. I could hardly lift a fork to eat my supper. :D Last day on the job same thing, I was happy to go back to school.
I spent most of that summer hauling grain with an overloaded under powered 1946 Maple Leaf (Canadian GMC) with a four speed 'crash box' and vacuum two speed. That thing was a real education.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

timberlinetree

It is so neat to hear all the different jobs and what they paid and the experience and life time learning lessons. One thing for sure , lot of hard working kids back then! Thanks for sharing your stories!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!