iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chinese tallow

Started by limbrat, June 04, 2006, 04:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

I have been all over the web looking for info on them pesky tallow trees. I have found a lot about the seed oils, propagation, and the living tree. But almost nothing on the wood.
I am putting material together to build a cordwood home. In the outside wall im looking for woods with low denisty and moderate to good durabilty. Cypress is ideal but not easy to come across in these piney hills. Pine sapwood is also a good choice but is a favorite of powder post beatles. If tallow has a density of or less than pine sapwood and at least the durabilty of pine sapwood it may be a good choice for a cord wall. There is also the question of the poison in the sap, But since people have been turning bowls out of it for a long time it might not be a problem in the dried wood.

thanks
ben

Texas Ranger

Cypress is your best bet, and there is a world of it milled in Louisiana and Texas.  Tallow is a poor choice, the wood is light, but fiberous and not really strong.  That and the fact that it is usually short stemed and crooked, would seem to limit it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

limbrat

Yes cypress is my best bet and will make up the lower courses of the wall ( were it might catch wind blown rain)
But its comercial value makes it diffucult to get for some one who dont wont to pay for it. The 6 or 7 cords of it that i have picked up so far have come from tops and butts and will suit my needs fine.
What you say about tallow is all true and does make it a poor choice for lumber. But the dimention of wood that im looking for in this application is basicaly 16 inch firewood. Strength just dosent come into play as long as it will stack up like firewood. The end grains of the wood will be exposed to the air on both ends and will be protected by a 3' roof over hang it dosent need to be extremely durable but at least the durabilty of pine sapwood would be good. The fact that it is trash and a invasive pest makes it so much more avaible and desireable to use. I dont even mind spraying the stumps. ;)
ben

Texas Ranger

Don't waste your time bulding something out of material that will fail far to soon.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Riles

How 'bout some details on what a cordwood home looks like? I have this image of living inside a woodpile...
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!