iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Name that Tree?

Started by Kirk_Allen, February 22, 2005, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

I have been cutting about 60 pines today but dont know what species they are .  Any input would be appreciated.

Minnesota_boy

A close-up of the needles would be a big help, but those look a lot like spruce to me.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kirk_Allen

The needles are very short, aobut 1" long I think.

What is spruce good for?  Does it make good construction lumber?  That was my intent with this stuff.
Thanks

Minnesota_boy

In the lumber yard, studs have a marking of SPF meaning spruce, pine, or fir.  Spruce has plenty of knots but mostly smaller ones tha tretain much of the strength of the wood.  I use them for studs and rafters, but I choose carefully the ones I use for rafters to be sure they have the strength I need.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

The bark and limby boles look like white spruce to me (cones an inch- inch and 1/4 long). If ya crush the needles in your hand they remind you of skunk urine (skunk spruce). Spruce with small branch knots and clear butt logs are very valuable in my neck of the woods. Spruce logs with clear boles and 14 inch tops fetch upward of $1000 per thousand $$USD at the veneer mills. Currently for spruce sawlogs we get about $430 mbfm $$CND for 8 inch top min, $350 mbfm for 5 inch top minimum

The second picture looks like Norway spruce, does it have long cones about 5 inches long?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kirk_Allen

The cones are about 5 inches long.  The needles dont stink as described.  They smell like pine.

Thanks

Roxie

Note to SwampDonkey:

I can identify skunk droppings and skunk tracks, but I hope that I am never, EVER able to identify skunk urine.   smiley_roller
Say when

SwampDonkey

Yup, Norway spruce.

Roxie, what we have to do to get the job done.  I guess ya don't like skunks eh? :D :D ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kirk_Allen

I assume Norway Spruce is just as good as any other srpuce for lumber?  I plan on cutting all of it into 2X material for a new shop.

Of all the trees I got there are about 30 that measure 24-26" DIB.  After cutting those to 17 feet the small end is 18-20".  I was able to get two 17' sections out of most of the trees.  The plan is to get as big a 2X material as possible from 2X10 to 2X4.  I know I should be able to get at least 3- 2X4's froom the tops of the tree.  The smallest small end we kept was 6".  Most of them are around 8-10".

Thanks for the input on the species.  I really appreciate it. 

SwampDonkey

Kirk,

Norway is just as valuable as any native spruce. They don't differentiate the logs around here anyway, same price. You should be able to do very well with your sawn spruce. I just looked at a lumber report of the NE and Kiln dried 2 x4 studs fetch $480/thousand USD. For some reason our eastern spruce have a better price than they get in the west.

Madison Lumber Price Update

Kirk_Allen

maple flats

If some of that spruce happened to be clear it is very strong and is used for better extension ladder side rails and planks made from it are the only wooden planks I know of that meet OSHA specs for scaffold planks but they must be clear. ;D :) :)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!