iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green Menace TV Show

Started by MSU_Keith, March 29, 2005, 08:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSU_Keith

This past weekend on Sunday afternoon there was a show on Detroit Public TV called 'Green Menace' all about EAB.  It looked like it was filmed in the summer or early fall of 2004.  Some interesting discussion:
- Show implied that the initial infestation point was narrowed down to one neighborhood in Canton, MI adjacent to an industrial park that took delivery of many overseas shipments in 1997 or 98.
- They stressed over and over the importantance of not moving firewood and that this was biggest cause of the quick spread.
- Show implied that chipping all wood was the only viable defense with no mention of timber utilization.  :'(
- Displayed maps of possible infestation in future years with economic impact estimated in the billions (I thought I miss heard but they repeated billions with a b :o)
- An item I didn't know is the adults only live 3 weeks.  The larvea do all the damage and apparently they go through several lifecycles in a summer.
- Also it is very difficult to tell if a tree is infected until its to late.  Adults tend to lay eggs in the crown first where they hatch into larvea, the first sign of trouble is die off in  the crown and by then its to late.

I checked with the WTVS website and it doesn't list any other showtimes - kind of an odd time to have it on for its one and only performance - Easter afternoon.  Check your local PBS station to see if they plan to show it.

estiers

We do have DVD and VHS copies of the green Menace if anyone is interested. 
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

estiers

The show origianally aired last fall, so it might have been a filler for Easter afternoon.
Erin Stiers

Ron Scott

Yes, the infection usually starts in the crowns of the trees making it difficult to detect before the damage has gone too far.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Not to take anything away from the seriousness of the EAB, but when you guys mentioned Green and a menace on TV, I thought ya meant the Red Green Show on PBS. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

estiers

Erin Stiers

Jeff

Erin, what is the cost of obtaining a DVD?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

estiers

No cost, just send your name and mailing address.  I know that these will be going like hotcakes, so first come first served!! :D
Erin Stiers

pasbuild

Estiers  were do you send the request for a DVD?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

estiers

Just send me a personal message.
Erin Stiers

Thank You Sponsors!