iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plantations of unusual or threatened wood species

Started by asy, April 02, 2005, 05:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

We are looking at planting a farm forest on our farm (when it settles!!!) and I was thinking...

Now, I know it's a dangerous thing to do, and I've been warned before... 

But I kept thinking anyway...  ;D

We are looking at planting Native Rainforest species as a general rule in our main plantation, as these grow well in our area.

The climate is from a low of about 10C at night in winter, to around 20-25C during the day in winter  (Or, for us, the DRY season)
to a high of about 25C at night to 35C during the day, in Summer (or, for us, the WET season).

The rainfall on our farm is approximately 60" per year, the majority of which falls between December and March. We have negilgible frost.

Whilst we have plans to plant a couple of Hectares in what they call "Cabinet Timbers", I was thinking that there are so many timbers on earth which are threatened or being logged irresponsibly that I wondered whether we could plant just a half a dozen or so of several different species around the farm.  Maybe 50 trees in all? This may also include some trees which, whilst not threatened now, may well be and are sought after, or some trees which are simply high cost cabinet timber (as a form of superannuation or inheritance).

The types of trees I have primarilly thought of (without yet proper investigation) are the likes of:
Macassar Ebony,
Kewazinga Bubinga,
East Indian Rosewood,
African Cherry,
Purpleheart,
Teak, etc.

This is by NO! means an exhaustive list, it's simply the first ones that came to mind...

My criteria are:   (in order)

Must not be Cane Toads...  By this I mean, must not be able to become a pest in our area...
Must be able to live in our climate,
Medium to high end value timber,
Must be harvestable within ~ 50 years.
Not attract pests, and
Have negligible impact on our native species (although I understand this may be difficult to substantiate prior to planting).

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SwampDonkey

You might want to seek the help of a local forestry consultant on this or your Dept of Nat Resources. Someone who is knowledgeable with your climate and species and someone who understands the silvics of those exotics you wish to plant. The species your listing, I know what they are but have no knowledge of their silvics and requirements for growth or potential threat to your native species.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

Yeah, I had thought that.

But you know, I can't FIND a forester here.

Well, not one who's not already employed by a govt dept.

We don't seem to have any consulting foresters here :(

good idea though :)  Thanks

Bro. Noble

Those foresters that work for the govt. are paid using your taxes,  so they are working for you.  Are any of them accessable?  You might try through local universities.

I personally would stick to species that are native to your area although those are some mighty interesting trees thaat you mentioned.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ernie

Could you possibly convince some keen Uni department to fund a trial of the various species on your place.  Maybe with a view to the production of high value timbers for import substitution/ save the endangered species/ save the world sort of thing.

Just a thought but lets face it, free government money is the best kind to get. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

crtreedude

Asy,

If you want any details on Teak - I can give you some data, etc. I don't live in the same country as you, but I can tell you probably more than you want about teak.

I am doing a trial of purple heart this year too.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

asy

Thanks!

Will be interested to hear what your purple heart trial comes out at!

crtreedude

Purple Heart grows native on the Pacific side of Costa Rica, but our climate is similar on our side, so everyone is pretty sure it will be fine.

I am also looking at Almendro and a few others as well.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!