iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for Stickers

Started by SawyerTed, November 22, 2018, 10:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Yesterday I cut live edge slabs for a customer so there were no side boards or edgings to make stickers. At the end of the sawing she asked for dry stickers.  I sold some to her from my supply for what I thought was fair - $.40 each.

Now I'm wondering what price others charge for stickers?

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

TimGA

1x1x42   .25    I have 42 inch pallet forks so that's the length I have on hand dry.
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Lawg Dawg

danG, probably why 
I'm not getting rich...I just give them away! :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Ed_K

I was quoted $.55 a piece for 1"x1"x5'. and they are fluted hardwood.
Ed K

WV Sawmiller

Ed,

I'd be buying and reselling those for tomato stakes at that price. I list my stickers at $.25 each for 3-4 ft long. I sell hardwood 1"X1"X5' strips for tomato stakes for $10/dz.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kelLOGg

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on November 22, 2018, 11:04:00 AM
danG, probably why
I'm not getting rich...I just give them away! :D
I give them away, too and sometimes I get them back. But then I'm not trying to make a living sawing - just a hobby the pays for itself.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Chuck White

I saw purely mobile, but once in a while I'll saw some at home for myself!

When I'm sawing mobile and the customer asks for stickers, this is how I do it!

1. I'll take a log and saw it 4/4 through and through
2. When the log is completely sawn, I'll turn all of the flitches up on their sides, the 2 outside ones go to the slab pile!
3. Clamp the rest in position and start sawing 4/4 down through
4. As each edge gets clean, I unclamp and turn that board over, reclamp and continue sawing 4/4

If the log would square up to 12x12, then I would charge by the board foot for sawing 1x12, then when I turned the stack over, I would charge for sawing 1x12 again!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

If I saw mobile making edged lumber, sawing stickers is just included, I don't charge extra. If I saw from my logs, stickers are also just part of the job.

I use 1"x1 1/2"x48" stickers.  For outright sale $0.40 might be a bit high. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

Chuck White that would figure to .36 each for me.

terrifictimbersllc

3/4 x 1-1/4 x 4' stickers made from Home Depot furring strips (saw down the center, cut in half) are worth 40 cents apiece just for the wood itself,  if the customer had to go out and buy the furring strips at around $1.60 each. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

E-Tex

I give the customer a choice to go buy furring strips at home depot or I cut stickers from their logs at my hourly rate.  

I have sold some of my fluted stickers at $1 each.
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Southside

If it's a small amount (30-40) then I just give them to the customer, I know I am a lot more likely to return to a business if I don't leave feeling nickle and dimed. If it was a giant amount then probably a $.25 each, I figure make my profit on the product, not something that will be disposable to the customer.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PAmizerman

I'm in business to make money not give things away. If the customer doesn't like the price they can source their own stickers. Making sticks takes time.

I've had customers start just throwing the sticks in their truck as we load lumber. I promptly tell them I sell the sticks and they start pulling them out quickly. If I gave sticks to every customer that thought they could get them for free I wouldn't have enough to keep my own lumber sticked. 3 for a dollar.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

WV Sawmiller

I usually throw in a few stickers for customers who don't try to dicker too much. I had one customer who suggested I throw in 2-3 of my 6"X6" X 2' ash crib blocks to stack his lumber on. I told him "Fine, just throw in $6 each for them as I sell them for $1/bf". I found him some decent dunnage in the scrap pile.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

If the stickers come from edging, no charge.  If I have to saw a log for stickers, then sawing rate.  Gotta remember though that most of my sawing is SYP framing lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Magicman, I'm glad to see you describe your sawing that way.  So far the majority of my paying jobs have been barn framing and siding too.  There has been a steady stream of trailer decking.  Until I get a kiln operating regularly, I believe it will stay that way.   

Chuck White

I do just like Lynn does, edging stickers no charge, log sawn into stickers regular rate!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

PA_Walnut

Green stickers (edgings) are not prudent for high-grade, lighter and/or stain prone wood like maple, hickory, etc. This results in sticker-stain/shadow, etc.

I can't recount the times I've gone to look at "a big stack of 10 year old wide, clear lumber" that have penny-wise and pound-fooling stickering: Tobacco lathe, green stickers, 2x material, etc. and the entire pile is firewood.

Even walnut can be ruined with inadequate stickers.

Caveat emptor.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

customsawyer

I sell for $.025/ea. and offer to buy them back if they return them in good shape. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

PA_Walnut

Quote from: customsawyer on November 23, 2018, 08:40:18 PMI sell for $.025/ea. and offer to buy them back if they return them in good shape.

Hey, brilliant new business op: sticker rentals. I have thousands and they are the great Air-o-FLo versions. Maybe I could rent them out and make some residual income! ;)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

petefrom bearswamp

Me too Jake but I charge $.40 and $5.00 for my 4"x6"x4' bolsters
This way I get most back
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12