iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backyard tree removal question(s)

Started by 75Camaro4x4, September 22, 2014, 04:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmarch

Quote from: 75Camaro4x4 on September 25, 2014, 04:11:07 PM
Quote from: tmarch on September 22, 2014, 07:42:34 PM
IF you are gonna do this get a decent tow rope and at least 1 log chain.  Hook the tow rope to the pickup, next log chain, then a rope or cable that can be strung with a throw line or something to get it high enough to do some good.  Climbing a tree is with spikes or ladder is not necessary.  A nylon tow rope will have some stretch so you can basically use the pickup as a "deadman" until you've made you first chainsaw cuts and then inch it ahead as you add wedges and continue to cut.  The log chain is to protect damage from the towrope slapping into something if something goes wrong.

Question on this (for anyone):

Say all the trees are 60ft, and branches don't start to 40ft. Won't I still have to climb the tree to beable to tie off far enough?

Another question:

What if a big tree has a strong lean in the opposite direction that I want it to fall, What would a professonal do in that scenario? (Note: I am certainly not saying I am a professional, I just want to know what he would do lol)
No a throw line is a light line with a weight attached so you throw it as high as you want, attach a rope and pull it with the throw line up and the tie the rope off to itself and basically noose the tree.  I've done it with a bow and arrow if necessary.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

thenorthman

Quote from: John Mc on September 25, 2014, 08:50:30 AM
BY the way... welcome to the forum Yggdrasil.  Nice username. I knew I recognized it from somewhere, but it took me a while for it to register. Isn't Yggdrasil a giant tree that is central to Norse mythology? The tree that connects their different realms.  (My mom is a full blooded Swede, so I got a few books of Swedish legends to read when I was a kid.)

Yggdrasil, aka the world tree, all the 9 worlds of norse mythology reside in its branches, also a Yew tree, and Odin hung upside down from it to gain his wisdom and knowledge...

Just say'n...

Also I read once that a yew tree emits some gasses that can put one in a euphoric state, but unfortunately for us mortals, not nearly enough ppms to do anybody good unless you hang there for a week or so with no fud... and maybe carve yer own eye out first...
well that didn't work

Yggdrasil

Thanks John!

Lignator was taken and I couldn't think of another handle.  My moms grandparents are from Norway, so I googled Nordic Tree and went with it.

Northman, I lived up that way when I was younger and will back up for a long weekend at the end of October to hang out with my brother and catch a Seahawks game.  Can't wait to hit Staircase for a day hike!  Love getting back home and spending time in the Olympics!

75Camaro4x4

--Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/user/likedsubset32/media/20140927_142648_zps0b64bfa4.jpg.html][img width=650 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/t655/likedsubset32/20140927_142648_zps0b64bfa4.jpg[/img][/URL]
Devin Messer

75Camaro4x4

Thanks Everyone for the help!

I went and talked to the guy, David, that was helping me, and it was all just a big misunderstanding. He helped me again this weekend and we only have 15 left now.

I did the 3 strands of rope, and has worked perfect. No accidents.

I found out he had a hunting bow, and I bought a arrow and twine to fish the rope high enough. Long story short, it got stuck on the first tree. So I rented a 54ft ?boom? to do the job. That, worked fantastic.

I really appreciate all that I learned on back cuts, just wish the guy helping me would've taken the time to listen.
Devin Messer

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

75Camaro4x4

I bought some wedges and a sledge hammer yesterday. Looking forward to trying them out
Devin Messer

John Mc

Quote from: 75Camaro4x4 on October 17, 2014, 08:09:19 AM
I bought some wedges and a sledge hammer yesterday. Looking forward to trying them out

I use the back side of my axe w/25" handle. If I were doing a whole lot of big trees, I suppose I might want something heavier and longer, but this works OK for me. I've also been know to cut a piece of tree branch to use as a hammer when I forget where I last set my axe (something that happens all too often). I occasionally cut a wedge from a downed tree when I misplaced my wedges, but that didn't always work out so well. I now have a holster to carry a couple of wedges on a belt, which also carries a chainsaw multi-tool and a very limited first aid kit.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

QuoteI've also been know to cut a piece of tree branch to use as a hammer

Standard practice for me, to cut a "hammer" for tapping in wedges. The wedges just need to be snugged up, and a second wedge with alternate taps on each will put a powerful lift on a tree in the cut. A big heavy hammer isn't often necessary.  And less thing to keep track of while cutting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

luvmexfood

Quote from: John Mc on October 17, 2014, 10:20:28 AM
Quote from: 75Camaro4x4 on October 17, 2014, 08:09:19 AM

I use the back side of my axe w/25" handle. If I were doing a whole lot of big trees, I suppose I might want something heavier and longer, but this works OK for me. I've also been know to cut a piece of tree branch to use as a hammer when I forget where I last set my axe (something that happens all too often). I occasionally cut a wedge from a downed tree when I misplaced my wedges, but that didn't always work out so well. I now have a holster to carry a couple of wedges on a belt, which also carries a chainsaw multi-tool and a very limited first aid kit.

That used to happen to me all the time. Now all my axes etc. are painted bright blue. Even my skidding chains sometimes but it don't stay on them long. Best $3.99 can of spraypaint I ever bought. Course you have to answer the question everyone asks. Why is all your stuff painted blue?

John, we call the big stick of wood a womping stick down here.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

gimpy

I paint all my equipment and tools Hot Pink. I have Hot Pink dip for my handtool handles. I never seem to loose them in debris and no one ever "accidentally" walks off with one of mine.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

36 coupe

Just had a bad tree taken down.Pay the fellows who know their job and have 2 million insurance.A man has to know his limitations..Just had cataract surgery, not a do it yer self job.

75Camaro4x4

Still at where I was before. Hoping to finish either this weekend or next, depends on which day has the best weather.

1 of my chainsaws broke a ring or piston, and a buddy tuned the other one for me, so at least I have a working chainsaw again. Hopefully it lasts till the last tree is done, I'd hate to buy another one just to hardly use it.

Also, my wood pile was absolutely huge, and a few drunk neighbours came and burned it about 2 o'clock in the morning. I don't know if I should be concerned or not lol... flames were well above the powerlines, and left scorche marks on a tree 15ft away. But, at least I have the room again to pile on more wood.
Devin Messer

Thank You Sponsors!