iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: cutterboy on January 21, 2022, 07:42:58 AM
Quote from: newoodguy78 on January 20, 2022, 07:26:55 PM
That's the cleanest woodshed floor I've ever seen, didn't know they existed  :D  
It only takes a broom. ;)
I have a sign on my shop wall which reads:
IF YOU CAN'T OPERATE A BROOM, YOU CAN'T WORK HERE
 it seems to work...mostly.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

farmfromkansas

Cutterboy, that is a neat box you built for your tractor, looks like something I could slide my 3 pt bale carrier under and go pick up wood. When I split wood, seems like there is a huge mess of bark laying around afterwards.  What do you guys do with the bark?  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

cutterboy

ffkansas, you are right about splitting wood making a mess. I take all the bark and wood debris and dump it in the tractor paths in the woods. I'll fill in a low spot or put it on a bumpy-rocky section to smooth it out. In the end it all turns to dirt.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

I burn my bark.  it is nice this time a year to be able to warm the hands occasionally, and it smells like a wood yard.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Usually some dry moss in the bark or leaves to help start a fire in the stove. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Everybody has a little trick to fire up the fire .If it's all just a little bit of coals left come morning I toss in a few small splits and use the fan on an industrial heat gun .With a forced draft it doesn't take long and I believe about hot enough to forge  horse shoes .I don't have a horse though nor have I ever forged a shoe .

GRANITEstateMP

most of my bark gets pushed and piled with the tractor. I let it sit then turn it, maybe add some cow manure to it.  If I missed some bigger wood chunks, then it just becomes nice fill
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 21, 2022, 04:09:30 PM
With a forced draft it doesn't take long and I believe about hot enough to forge  horse shoes .I don't have a horse though nor have I ever forged a shoe .
They used to harvest sugar maple and beech in these parts to smelt iron from the local quarry. Was as good as anywhere in the world according to records. Mostly export to England. Near as I can tell, only thing here made from local iron was wood stoves at the Enterprise foundry. No car, locomotive, or factory from local stuff. Confederation of Canada killed any industrialization from local production this far east and sucked all the wealth for Toronto and Montreal and parts west.  Made us a welfare state then begrudge transfers from Ottawa. According to the 'new' history written by Trudeau's croanies, no permanent settlement here until after Montreal, Que. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

To get on that subject Ohio believe it or not has iron fields plus coal. Problem being they are not in the same location .So several centuries ago in the hanging rock iron deposits they cut down nearly every tree for miles around to burn into charcoal .It's a state park now replanted with pine trees by the 3c's during the great depression .One of the giant iron furnaces or what's left of it still stands .I cannot imagine how much oak it would take to fire that thing using nothing but axes and cross cut saws .

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 22, 2022, 09:57:59 AM
To get on that subject Ohio believe it or not has iron fields plus coal.
Oh, we've got coal here to. Hard not to, since this place was all submerged long ago along with all the bogs after that. :D There's a 300 year old coal mine in Minto. But with this climate action plan, they shut that down, can't have power by coal ya know. ;D

I posted in another thread already how many axe men, horse teams and charcoal shovellers where working to run the one in Woodstock, 30 miles from here. This operated just as the railroad was established. All rail road in these parts were after timber. The head office of the NB railroad was in Woodstock. Alexander "Boss" Gibson, who made his fortunes and lost it long before the depression, cotton mill and lumber. Got beat out by the Montreal syndicate on the cotton side of things. Never had to replant here, all grew back and has been cut twice again. :D  Seen old photos of over 100 years back. Sure a lot more cleared and than now. Where dad built a new house across the river from Woodstock, that used to be 250 acres cleared. All grew back and German's bought it and decided to subdivide into building lots in the last 30 years. Only when government has big hiring boon is there much building going on. $15/hr jobs don't stir housing boon around here. :D

newoodguy78

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 21, 2022, 08:28:46 AM
Quote from: cutterboy on January 21, 2022, 07:42:58 AM
Quote from: newoodguy78 on January 20, 2022, 07:26:55 PM
That's the cleanest woodshed floor I've ever seen, didn't know they existed  :D  
It only takes a broom. ;)
I have a sign on my shop wall which reads:
IF YOU CAN'T OPERATE A BROOM, YOU CAN'T WORK HERE
it seems to work...mostly.
I need a sign like that. 
I like a clean organized work area/shop gets away from me from time to time. Everyone else here works under the drop it and leave it for the next person motto. When it gets out of hand there's a six pack and an evening with the stove going to get it back on track. 

mike_belben

i am a neat freak trapped in a slobs life.  it constantly gets away from me, and constantly drives me nuts.  sometimes i get so overwhelmed i cant fix anything until i stop, put away every single tool where it goes, and then go sort hardware into bins to calm down. i dont wanna say its anxiety but its something.  an irking, or discomfort.   im still moving and building so where stuff goes is constantly changing as i stuff 10lbs into a 2lb bag and always have more irons in the fire than i have dollars or hands or minutes. i come here to walk away from my own life as a pressure relief valve to regulate it all. 
Praise The Lord

upnut

Spent the morning helping out a neighbor who is battling cancer. He marked out the logs he wanted cut out of storm blowdown hard maple, we bucked them up and culled the firewood....

He sells the logs to a local amish pallet mill...

A week ago we cleaned up blowdown for another farmer neighbor, hard maple BTU's...

In between I was down a few days with covid...fever and throat on fire and no energy. Much better now. 

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

hilltopper46

Here's my little operation...

The firewood rack outisde the back door is almost empty. This is supposed to be about the warmest day in the next week or so, so I'll fill it up.

It takes two of these to fill it. This is number one.

And this is number two.

And that will last us about two weeks, so one loader bucket full is about one weeks worth, burning as supplemental heat in a fireplace insert.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Farmall 60A with Loader, Grapple and Forks

hilltopper46

Quote from: upnut on January 22, 2022, 02:11:58 PMSpent the morning helping out a neighbor who is battling cancer.

Good on ya', as our Australian friends say. This cutting will warm you in more than two ways.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Al_Smith

I go through about 1 face cord a week usually .Here of late about every two three days I get a couple of garden carts .I little good running 024 Stihl does just fine on those EAB killed small ash trees .Dry as a bone problem is they are right on the ground thus I have to file often .Doesn't take me very long .Cold doesn't bother me but the wind cuts right to the bone .11 was the high today with 15 MPH winds ,I stayed in the house  brrr . 

GRANITEstateMP

Around here, we call it "Next Guy's Problem Syndrome". As in, I will leave this tool, part, keys, truck, cow, here, then it's the Next Guy's Problem.
Haven't found a cure, but a good dressing down seems to help keep it at bay for a bit
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

It's probably 3/4 to 1 full face cord a week here. That's going to slow some now, I'm running the blower fan continuous and much smaller fires so I can supply heat to the grow tent continuously. There's times when a small bed of coals will supply lots of heat but may not trip the limit controls, this way I recover all the heat possible and keep the place in the mid to upper 70's pretty constant. ;D

cutterboy

hilltopper, I like that old Oliver. You don't see many of those around.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

beenthere

Quote from: hilltopper46 on January 22, 2022, 05:45:19 PM
Here's my little operation...

The firewood rack outisde the back door is almost empty. This is supposed to be about the warmest day in the next week or so, so I'll fill it up.

It takes two of these to fill it. This is number one.

And this is number two.

And that will last us about two weeks, so one loader bucket full is about one weeks worth, burning as supplemental heat in a fireplace insert.
Used to do that routine.. split, stack for drying, unstack to bucket, re-stack in rack in garage near indoor wood burner (main heat for 40 years).
Then decided to split, stack right on pallet, store pallet for 2-3 years drying, then weekly move pallet of dry wood to garage near wood burner.  
Helped to stack once, and unstack once.
Kids were not impressed that I waited to use pallets until they had moved their life away from home.  :D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

the old German saying, "to soon olt, to late smart".
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hilltopper46

Quote from: cutterboy on January 23, 2022, 07:27:14 AM
hilltopper, I like that old Oliver. You don't see many of those around.
It's due to be replaced this year - I have a new Farmall 60A on order. I'll miss the Oliver, though, it has done everything I ever wanted it to do. And I've been able to repair what broke, so far.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

hilltopper46

Quote from: beenthere on January 23, 2022, 11:26:43 AMsplit, stack right on pallet, store pallet for 2-3 years drying, then weekly move pallet of dry wood
That's the plan when I get the new tractor with the pallet forks for the loader.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

farmfromkansas

Like that firewood rack too.  We have a dealer that used to sell Oliver, then White, and now Vermeer, that seems to be able to track down parts, and get water pumps and such rebuilt for Olivers.  A neighbor has an oliver he uses still. They were way ahead of IH as far as transmissions go. IH just had a great engine. And then the last design of IH finally had a decent transmission.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!