iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer laying down

Started by Hilltop366, January 20, 2022, 12:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

I seem to see deer laying down out in the open instead of it the woods or tall grass and bushes more often in the last year or two, yesterday there were 5 laying down in front of the house at times I have seem more.

In the summer there would be 2 laying down on the lawn next to the driveway after dark about 75 feet from the house. I'm not sure why, could just feel safe here around the house or because there are just lots of deer. I have seen up to 16 at one time (not all laying down) in the small fields and on the lawn around my house.

Yesterday 

November 2021

Jeff

Predators.

I witnessed deer laying out on the ice on a twenty below night several years ago, rather than in the cedars at Lous place in the Eastern U.P.   Wolves.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

My experience has indicated deer bed down in places where they can detect a threat and usually have multiple escape paths. I've tracked in the snow and such to find their beds and find one preferred bedding area is on the points of ridges. The prevailing winds blow up the ridges so they can smell anything coming and they can run in multiple directions to escape. I see them in hay fields around here and they can see and smell something coming a long way off and have plenty of options to run away from any threats.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I often see that when it is windy, I guess because something might sneak up on them in the woods because their ears are sorta disabled.  Out in the open they don't need their ears but rely on their nose and eyes.  They are usually facing downwind
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

I too walk the farm in the snow just to get a feel for the patterns of the deer.  They often have preferred travel paths and bedding areas they use year to year and throughout the seasons.  Those walks are very educational in patterning the deer for hunting season.  

My observations are similar in that they don't usually bed in the most protected areas when it is windy or raining much.  On those very still frigid nights I find them in the thick stuff.  Where we live the biggest predators of deer, besides humans, are coyotes and dogs.  So I guess they can hear and/or smell one of us coming.   

Deer sometimes will bed within sight of my deer stand when I am hunting.  Unless there is a pretty good buck, I let them bed.  There's nothing like a real decoy acting relaxed to get one of the big boys to come in.  One of the largest bucks I have harvested, bedded in sight of my stand.  He came through in a slow trot, as I got my rifle up, I lost him in the scope.  It took several minutes before I realized he hadn't run off, he had bedded.  He stayed put for about 10 minutes and I couldn't stand it anymore and bleated like a doe.  He stood up, turned toward me and took a step which presented a proper zone for my shot.    
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

They lay down in the pasture right next to my yard frequently. Not bedding for the night - just dozing and waiting for the lights to go off so they can eat everything in my yard without fear of being interrupted. 

I do find beds out in the fields sometimes.  The middle of a bean field seems to be popular. 
HM126

K-Guy

About 20 feet in front of my house is my septic tank and leach field. I often find spots where they have bedded together overnight on it during the spring and fall, for the heat I guess.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Hilltop366

Thanks for the replies, there does not seem to be any noticeable extra predators other than the one bobcat we seen once last year, really don't see or hear the coyotes as much either however my nose and ears don't work nearly as well as theirs so what do I know. :D

brewdog

Hilltop366

Nope, I'm in Yarmouth County.

I did here some coyotes howling this evening, I haven't heard them for a while. There were a 100 or so geese in the field across the driveway the last few days, that may attract a coyote or two.

thecfarm

Nice pictures. 
I have never seen a deer lay down in my fields, but we keep them mowed too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

I've seen them and have pictures laying down many places. Several times in my stand Bowhunting having one to several lay under and around my tree stand but after two to three hours in the stand after several hours before they bedded down was time to spoil the party and get out 😂

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I think Jeff has the answer. I know that is part of the answer (and food) around towns and cities here.

That being said, no deer up here in winter, they migrate south of here to better shelter with forage. Like I showed in a video, there is next to zero forage in a stand of northern softwood with crowns touching. Can't eat dry sticks.  Seen 5 coyotes cross the neighbour's cow pasture the other day. I hear those yippers every night. Lately I have a fox or two around the yard at night to. I don't mind the fox.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

I concur with the idea that deer bed in the open to thwart coyotes. I have noticed that  very often deer and foxes stay close to the houses as coyotes try to avoid people.  A couple of times I saw where deer that were hit by cars went right up to within 5 feet of a house to die; one was a nice big 9 pointer. I also suspect that word got out to the deer that you can't shoot within so many feet of a house. So the deer stay within that distance. 

crazy4saws

Just like Btulloh mentioned, I find them in our bean and wheat fields. fields. This picture shows them blended in well, strange to see a pair of eyes staring at you while out walking.

HemlockKing

Quote from: brewdog on January 21, 2022, 08:27:54 PM
u must live around truro
Yeah I've been hearing about their deer problem...just deer everywhere all over the town, they need to reduce numbers. Pretty sure are they are gonna allow a way to capture/kill them in town and then the meat will be donated to the local food bank. 
A1

Thank You Sponsors!