iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer lt40 set up

Started by wormy, September 05, 2011, 06:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wormy

hey guys got my first ? for you. i was setting up my 1995 lt 40 sup hy. leveled the head to the log clap rail. leveled bed rails to the head and got to the stops to set them square and ran out of adjustment adjusted it all it would go and still out a 1/6 AT THE TOP. thought they may be bent but the ones you flip up were the same way anyone else ran into this?

pineywoods

Wormy, them backstops aren't that difficult to bend. Have a friend who has bent a couple of his. Bad, part, they ain't that easy to un-bend. Not saying that's what your problem is, but it might be.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

If you have been doing much "bed leveling", then you may very well have "leveled" it beyond the adjustment capabilities of other components.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wormy

yes i thought they were bent  but cant see all of them being bent about the same the flip up ones also. and i leveled every thing from  the log clap rail the bed rails seem to all be adjusted about the same from the frame and looks to be about center of the adjustment bolt so this has got me scratching my head. i thought about setting the adjustment in the center on the stops and welding a peice of steel to each one to make it square. does that sound like a good idea?

Magicman

Personally, I would not.  Not at this point anyway.

What is the "log clap rail" ?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,
I think you need to align the mill as described in the operator manual. Maybe you are? All adjustments are made from the blade (when tightned). I have seen one back support bent, but question all four bent.
Hope this helps. Did you adjust the bed rails?
I am not sure how to help. I need more information.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

pineywoods

I'm with Marty, I would question all four backstops being bent. The ones I have seen bent, lost an argument with a 6000 pound fork lift. My first thought would be the log bunks not level. Changing them would make it necessary to change the head support rollers, in other words the blade to bunk spacing. All these adjustments have to be done in a specific sequence. Follow the steps in the manual in the same order...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Absolutely, I would bet something is out of alignment, not bent.

Get the manual out and start at the very beginning of the mill alignment section, then go step-by-step all the way through the complete alignment.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdtuttle

Wormy, welcome to the forum.
When I bought my 92 woodmizer I took it up to Hanibal & had a complete tune up done. They let me help with all the alignments & part replacements. The information gained was well worth the investment. Call woodmizer to see if they ever get close to you. They know their equipment & only a phone call away too.
Good Luck,
jim
Have a great day

wormy

i did go by the manual step by step and everything went smooth all ajustments looked good until the stops. i was just meaning the log clamp i dont know why i said clamp rail. i am just a weekend warior so it will be saterday before i can get back over to  the mill i will take some pics and see if that helps.

MartyParsons

We have owner day here at our location Spring and Fall. Fall is scheduled for October 14. We do an alignment on a mill and encourage you to ask questions. You are a little far from Pennsylvania. You would always be welcome!
We had over 62 Wood Mizer owners here on Spring day in April.  :o It worked out real well.
There have been a few changes to the hardware for the back supports since 95. Do you have a 3/8 square dive to help with adjustment? Did you change the location of the bed rails when you completed the alignment?
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!