iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loose chairs

Started by bandmiller2, February 08, 2010, 08:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

The backs of our kitchen chairs are loose especially with the dry winter air.Is there a glue that will wick into the joints without disassembling the chairs.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Fla._Deadheader

I used to live a mile from a factory that made "Chair Lok".  It swelled the pieces and glued., all in one shot.  Never used it, and, don't know if it is still produced. Ridgeway, New Jersey.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jasperfield

If they're pretty nice chairs (furniture you're keeping for the long haul) I believe I'd take them apart and properly glue them, if they're production chairs.

If they're post & rung or Windsor, they were assembled with the posts green and the rungs dry. In that case you'll need to separate the affected parts (if you can get them apart) and re-wet / dry the pieces, and then re-assemble.

Don_Papenburg

Might want to soat them in the bath tub.  My uncle said when the wagon wheels would dry out and get to loose they would take them off and soak em overnight in the cow tank.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

woodmills1

I have used chair lok and it will sometimes work.  Most chairs I see, the glue is so dry and set on the wood nothing can penetrate.  If you are going to reglue you have to find a way to open up the grain so the glue can work.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!