iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 372 XP

Started by D._Frederick, March 06, 2004, 08:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I thinking of buying the 372 with a 20 inch bar, and am  wondering what the power curve of this engine is. I want a saw that has good pulling power over a broad range, not just at maximum rpm. Will this do this?

qatanlison

Why is a broad powerband optimal in your case? How do you intend to use the saw? The XP engines tend to be of the more aggressive kind, with a max power on the higher end of the curve with a fast acceleration - where as the 365 is more wide. Now, the 372XP is usually looked upon as a quite competent saw, running bars up to 28" full comp with good results. I'd find it hard to believe you'd think of it as not powerful enough with a 20". Apart from delicate work like nipping corners and thinning hinge-wood, - don't you run your saws at full throttle anyway?
I have the big brother of the 372XP - the 385XP and I've learned the 372XP is not very far behind...

Ola

Kevin

D.;
The 372 is a good performer but a little on the heavy side if you aren't cutting big sticks with it all day long.
Saws should be run at full throttle, it helps to prevent kick back.

Oregon_Rob

I have a 372 and 95% of the time i run a 20" bar. Great firewood/felling/bucking saw. I too would be interested as to why you want to run at less then 100%. The only time i don't is when i am limbing, i might start to rev up and get the limbs removed as the saw is still reving up (on small stuff). But if i am cutting anything with any size (including limbs over about 2"), rev her up and make the cut.
Prior to my 372, I ran an old Jred that weighed about 4 lbs more, ran at 8,000 at WOT. The 372 was like a dream after that.
Chainsaw Nerd

Thank You Sponsors!