iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

272 husqvarna

Started by NCLogger, January 16, 2014, 09:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCLogger

Picked up a real nice 272 husq saw today at a deal, anybody used one like this much good/bad?

Maine logger88

I have a 272xp I bought 4 years ago used it as my main saw for a year and it gets used off and on ever since there a good saw decent power and easy to work on
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

sawguy21

Very popular out here with a 24" b&c. Clean fresh gas with a quality oil, clean air filter, sharp chain it will give you good service. Oh, and DON'T lend it to your cousin's buddy. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NCLogger

Thats just what i wanted to hear! Thanks guys

weimedog

Quote from: NCLogger on January 16, 2014, 09:37:21 PM
Picked up a real nice 272 husq saw today at a deal, anybody used one like this much good/bad?

I've used them here. A good solid pro level saw. Not quite a 372 in power or RPM's but who cares! They are real easy to work on. If you do a muffler mod and take out the base gasket, (assuming "squish" is OK w/o base gasket! Replace with three bond 1194 or equivalent gasket replacer) they pick up torque. Not an earth shattering difference, (still not a 372!) but enough to make the project worth while for some. Lot's of Asian aftermarket support to supplement the OEM parts for things like bar oil pumps, cover's and filters. Actually every part of that saw has an aftermarket option. Just do a search on eBay to get a sense. Since many are still out there and running, they have passed the test of time reliability legacy.

If you have a collector/tinker side to you, that series of saws will become addicting. A great way of blending things that need to happen if you cut a lot with a hobby! They are part of a family of saw that include Husqvarna 61, 266, 268's and Jonsered 625, 630, 670's...a few more. That family of saws where built from the late 1970's until the 1990's. Guess some are still built in South America and copies are built in Asia. A mark of a great design...

I've had fun finding old dead version's of the various models and building them with 268 or 272 top ends. The mixing of parts is a mechanical puzzle...that helps put firewood in the shed and timber on the landing! Right now have a Jonsered 625 and 630 on the work bench doing just that...one will be built with an aftermarket 268 top end and the other a stock 268 top end. Working around the difference in carb/choke/intake filters etc. is the puzzle & therefore challenge/fun. :)  A hobby that pays for itself.... 8)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

I own both the 272XP and 372XP and the power of the  2 are closer then most people think.
My 272 is not fully broke in with only 5 tanks thru it versus my well broke in 372. Torque wise bucking big wood the 272 is right up there close with the 372.
I don't have the #s in front of me (maybe SawTroll can help me out here) but from what I see is the 272 XP models still made today in the southern hemisphere are detumned to rate them at a lower h.p. level. They also manufacture the 372XP alongside but its not detuned.

My thinking is 372 sales would have dropped big time  if they hadn't slowed  the 272 a little.
Heres my 272XP with upgrades to the HD air filter and put on a little weight reduction diet.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

NCLogger

Im used the 372xp's i did notice my 272 wouldnt turn up like the 372s but it did seem very torqie.

Knute

Got a real nice used 272 a couple of months ago. Great saw in my opinion.

Maine logger88

I didn't know that they still make the 272 for other countries is there any other 2 series saws made

HolmenTree

Here are the specs of the detuned 272XP made in Brazil versus the original 272XP like my 1993 model.
272XP [detuned]:  3.6kw/4.9hp [72.2cm]
272XP original :  3.8kw/5.2hp    [72.2cm]

372XP:  3.9kw/5.3hp [70.7cm]

The 372 is bulkier in size . The 272 is as compact as the 562XP [wider but shorter and lower then the 562XP]

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 18, 2014, 05:18:14 PM
I didn't know that they still make the 272 for other countries is there any other 2 series saws made
They also still make the 281XP

DDDfarmer

Saw an add for a 272xp couple months back for $200 with no bar/chain.  Add was pulled about 6 hours later..... and he never called me  >:(
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

jwilly3879

I've had a 272xp since 1995, it's a 1993 model I bought from a friend for $300.00. I've cut down with it, but mostly bucked on the landing, no idea how bf I've cut but it's a lot! I've rebuilt the carb twice, new p+c , new coil and aftermarket clutch cover and chainbrake. It can be a little cranky the first start of the day but after that it's 1 pull and it will idle till it runs out of gas. I think it is even with my 2003 372xp, especially in softwood but the saw I usually go for is my 670, they are all about the same to me.

Maine logger88

I wonder if one could be bought in Brazil and shipped here?

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 18, 2014, 09:55:31 PM
Its possible to buy them in Mexico, can't say for sure though. I've spent many a winter holiday down there but the language barrier is tough.
I've seen a lot of Stihl dealership signs down there and one Husqvarna but I didn't have any luck checking them out ..... my wife and kids had me by the coat tails preventing me from even getting close to them. :D

Maine logger88

It would be cool to buy a brand new 272 or 281! Man that 272 of yours looks great did someone buy it and just not use it

HolmenTree

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 19, 2014, 12:49:47 AM
It would be cool to buy a brand new 272 or 281! Man that 272 of yours looks great did someone buy it and just not use it
A older timber faller bought it brand new in January 1994 but never got to use it he died of natural causes shortly after, then his brother inlaw took ownership of it and had it sitting in his garage ever since, only starting it up to idle every spring for a few minutes to loosen it up.
I was doing treework for this fellow and he asked if I wanted to see his Husqvarna that he was thinking of selling. I was in a hurry at the moment but agreed to take a look at it thinking its probably just a little homeowner saw.....boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. I gave him $300 and even got the original owners Jan. 1994 bill of sale from the dealer.

Spike60

272 and 288 are both still built in Brazil. In fact, current OEM 272 cylinder assemblies are from the Brazil, as are a few for older models. Quality is as good as Mahle on those I've seen. As far as the detuning goes, I've got a couple guesses. One, could simply be a different rating for an identicle saw. Possibly due to the strange fuel they use in Brazil. Two, I suspect that they might use a thicker gasket to lower the compression, again because of the range of fuels one might encounter in South America. It's certainly not the jug itself as those that I've used have serious compression and plenty of power.

If China could figure out how to ship all of those strange saws to the US, why not Brazil? You can go on the dealer locater for Brazil just like the US. And then you can vist each dealer's landing page with phone and e-mail contact info. And there are lot's of dealers down there.  :) I suppose if this was pursued something might turn up. I have two 272's in about the same shape as HT's, plus a couple 288's so I haven't looked into this further myself. IF, I was going to pursue it, I'd try and narrow the search by going through corporate channels. I'd want to have a Husky rep for Brazil select a dealer that would be a good interested candidate. Of course, no one involved could do so in any official capacity. Intriguing, huh?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

Good post Spike 60
But I'm puzzled why the Brazilian 372XP's kw/hp wasn't lowered like the 272's.

Spike60

Well, if guess #2 of mine is correct, the 372 is already running at a little less compression than the 272 normally would. So reducing it would not be as necessary?? Other than that, I'm all out of guesses.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

brettl

I'm looking at a 272XP and an older 268 a man has. Both are in very good cosmetic and great running condition. This thread has answered questions I was going to start in my own thread about strengths of these models. My question is what price range should I be looking at on these? I know it's very subjective but I just need some kind of starting point. The 272XP for instance, shows signs of use but not abuse so is not quite as nice as HT's in his above post. The 268 has a 1 inch square of plastic knocked out on the pull start cover and is the only cosmetic damage to that saw. Thanks for any input.

treechopper40

I ran the 266xp 268xp and the 272xp for around 12 years I bet I owned 10-15 of those models over the years they were a great saw the mounts wouldn't take a lot of abuse but that's the only weak point in the whole saw ive also had the 630 and 670 jonsereds and they were just as good as the huskys
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

nhlogga

First saw I ever bought was a well used 272xp. Loved that series of saws. You can swap parts from many different models.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

cutcut77

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 18, 2014, 09:55:31 PM
I recognize that it's 2019... but I'm living in Brasil wondering which Husqvarna I should buy; the 272 or 372. (Buying to put on a 24" Alaskan Mill). Not Cheap: the 372 (new in the box) is about $700 USD. The 272 (new in the box) is $600 USD. Funny how things are... I probably could ship it to you for another $400 USD -- AND NO I'm NOT a commercial entity wanting to actually do this, I just thought super cool that I am experiencing this 5 year old thread from this perspective and thought you might find it cool too, i.e. yup they're still making them down here and probably not worth it, unless you got a spare grand socked away for just such a thing.

ChrisRoss

If the price matters a lot you can buy a used chainsaw. 

yetti462

I had my 272 hopped up.  The local saw shop ports the muffler, ports the cylinder and advances the timing and tunes to AV gas.  One of my favorite saws to run. 

Air Lad

Recently purchased my own one of these(272xp)
Not having access to a 372 for comparison its hard to compare
The saw was well used and therefore I stripped it down a bit and replaced Piston ring/carb kit/removed base gasket and machined upper cylinder to get 25 thou squish/handle was from something else but I got an aftermarket one /muffler/crank seals/new Stihl chain.
Happy with how this saw feels and starts and runs
Yet to do some serious work as we are in bushfire season right now
It seems an impressive beast considering it was built in 92 tho

twobears

I have a 272 and a 268 they both cut a ton of wood but need rebuilding..is it worth it and if so wheres the best place to buy parts? on the outside there in good shape but there very tired.

Pine Ridge

Twobears both the 268 and 272 are well worth the money and effort to rebuild, good saws. I don't know about the best place to buy parts from, but Oem and aftermarket parts are not hard to find for them. 
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

twobears

thanks pine ridge...being old saws I wondered how hard new parts would be to find.i,ll have to do some searching.

Pine Ridge

HL supply sells oem and aftermarket parts for them, you might check them out.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

twobears

thanks pine ridge..i looked at that site and I see a lot of 272 parts at good prices it just might turn out to be my snowed in winter project.is there any good posts or webpages on rebuilding a chainsaw?? youtube I,am guessing is one place to look.

twobears

i have my 272 torn down and It has a bad bearing on the chain side and a gouge on the carb side of the piston.i think I,ll tear down my 268 and see what that looks like too.i,ve been watching a bunch of videos on youtube and trying to educate myself on chainsaw rebuilding.i,ve been looking up new parts too..it,s not cheap but looks better then paying for a new saw. 

sawguy21

The 272/372 is a very good saw, one of my favorites. I'm looking for one that doesn't cost a pension check ;D.Our friend @weimedog has very informative videos on rebuilding them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

twobears

where can I find his videos??

Sprinter

Google afleetcommand and you will be there.
I recently got a Meteor cylinder kit w, piston & Caber ring for my 272XP
It is a beauty of a casting nicely done and runs very well.

woodrat

I also just picked up a 272XP a couple of weeks ago for $300. I like it. Same chassis as my 61, which I also like. 
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

HolmenTree

I switched from Stihl to Husqvarna about 15-18 years ago because the best power production saw at the time was the 346XP NE, 372XP OE 390XP,  and the 395XP.
I was hanging onto and rebuilding my old 044 10mm and 066 red light saws as long as I could. The 440 and 660 then the 441 just didn't cut it for me.
While running my Huskies I did find a like new 272XP but it just seemed lazy compared to the 372.
You look at the 372 cylinder base it's easy to see where the power comes from with its open port quad A and B transfer ports.. Just like what you see on a dirt bike engine.

twar

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 13, 2022, 10:13:13 PMJust like what you see on a dirt bike engine.

And Husqvarna does make good dirt bikes too, IMO.

HolmenTree

Yes Husqvarna, KTM and Gas Gas are basically one company now making them the #1 off road motorcycles today.

Thank You Sponsors!