iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yanmar Crawler w/ crane, what'da think?

Started by Ironwood, September 13, 2009, 06:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Been out of the loop for a while. Anyone had experience w/ one of these? 1000 hours in great shape. 

1000 lb crane, yanmar diesel (20 hp or so). hydrostat to tracks. Thinking hard 'bout it

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Mr Mom

Seen them on e-bay and they look very useful.
hook a trailer on and you could get logs and firewood all in one shot.
If i had extra money i would buy it.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Ironwood

I know of only one other one, Dangerous Dan (FF member)has, always liked to see his though I never drove it.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Gary_C

I'm not sure where you would use it.

For me it would be far too slow for transporting material and a lot of work (slow too) for moving logs without a grapple. It would be mostly good for lifting at one spot but how much would it lift and how high? Also if you lower the boom to gain reach you rapidly lose lifting capacity.

Can't see a lot of use for it but looks to be in good shape.

Are those outriggers on the side?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Chico

You could put a cable grapple on it and use it a lot I would think and the footprint isn't as bad as a wheeled loader/skidder and when weather gets worst and the ground gets bad it might be just the ticket imo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

ScottAR

Seems like Jim King has a couple of em... No crane I remember. 

Seems a little small but that may be better for your operation.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ironwood

Well thanks, I think it would be GREAT to use to extricate stumps for table bases, and urban yard usage. Slow, yes, but I plan on making a reciever system to mount my backhoe to it, that coupled w/ an on board pressure washer and tank should really help get stumps out. Kind of excited about it.

Yes, outriggers, and the one on the drivers side is able to extended outward. The crane is REALLY nice and it is likely I would not even consider it w/out it.

I am interested in the "Cable Grapple" if someone could direct me on where to find one, I get the concept just need a direction.

Price is VERY good, and would never have a problem moving it should I decide it is not for me. I plan on an extensive amount of operator protection, racks, ROPS, etc..... Last week I moved 20,000 lbs of ironwood w/ my Gator, and this came into my "sphere", I thought lets get something alittle more heavy duty.

Ironwood

sjfarkas

it looks pretty cool, but I would think that it would be more useful if it had a knuckle boom and grapple instead of the crane.  I'm sure it would come in very handy for the right purpose.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Ed

Looks like it could be usefull, BUT, 1000lb capacity on the crane isn't much. You really don't want to be pushing the limits there.
I wouldn't consider it for dragging logs with the crane either, they are designed for a vertical lift, it's not a yarder.

Undercarriage parts and replacement tracks will be big $$$ also.

Ed

Ironwood

Thanks, I am thinking of a couple removable "horse shoe" arches facing upward w/ rollers on the bottom and sides to help get the logs up on the unit further and that should help wieght the tracks (for logs up to 24" or so) the crane is really beefy for 1000lb capacity, I have a feeling it is fairly well "over designed", or engineered.

I agree that the track stuff could get pricey. At least that is my impression. With only a thousand hours they look to be in very good condition. It looks like the idlers and drive sprockets are in pristine condition.

I have had a number of cranes (knuckle and tele) in various capacities. The smallest knuckle I had is now in Oregon in a FF memebers hands. It was an IMT w/ a 2600lb rating. I tend to like the tele's for my use. I am curious about a cable grapple, I may need to build my own if I start moving more material (logs). I only do that occasionally and the tongs work fine for now.

I will put a blade on the front and hydraulic winches front and back. This going to be fun!

Ironwood

Well after putting some new top idlers (actually HD kiln wheels), and complete preventive maintanence change over, I finally got it into the woods near home where a buddy is cutting. I was going to run my Gator in until this thing came along. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera along, but here are some pics after I got home. I had it slung just like this in the woods and when I made the final cut it JUMPED off the stump 10" or so (kind let me know I had cut through :D) Awsome, the whole crew shut down to come over and see "WHAT the heck is that?" their jaws were on the ground. PERFECT machine for the task. We would have had to hand load the trunk onto the Gator and would not have had it jump off the stump, which is nice as otherwise you are just pinching the bar at the end.

Ironwood

Chico

Look at Iron mart for a grapple or Look around for an old buckeeye or other dragline most had grapples if they had the dragline Building one wouldn't be that big a deal with the right equip imo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

beenthere

Ironwood
Following you around for a day would be both very interesting and probably very exhausting.  And I think a whole lot of fun.  ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frickman

I can speak from personal experience that following Ironwood around is very interesting. And quite entertaining as well. And he has a treasure collection that many here would die for.

Nice looking machine. I'm sure it will work better than the gator.

If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ironwood

Thanks fella's.

PS. I am sure someone will chime in about the load on the 8 bolt single axle trailer. It is at capacity and I am waiting for some 16"  "G" series Goodyear full steel cased tires to help with the sway issue, other than that the trailer works for now. I will likely construct a single axle 9,000 lbs GVW single tilt w/ 17.5" supers that are good for 4800# each. That trailer will likely also have a tarp system built to make it a "garage" for storage also. I want to add a detatchable hoe to the front of the Yanmar which will put me over capacity of the current trailer.

Here is a picture of the kiln cart wheel used an upper idler, perfect application as they are designed run slow, in dirty environs roller bearing is as big as your fingers!

Ironwood

customdave

Ironwood , slick looking unit , now I have to add one to my list, man that list is getting long! Looks like it could be useful around the yard, you get the right gapple you help the wife take the clothes off the line , earn brownie points? Just thinken out loud, anyways have fun & play safe !

Dave 8)
Love the smell of sawdust

Ironwood

For a minute I thought you were headed soemwhere else w/ that comment :D.

Yeah we had the whole gang in the dump bed yesterday at dusk, now the 1.5 and 2.5 years olds are saying "ride crawler daady" ;D   Ah, the memories we are creating. 7 year old wants to drive it, but that aint happening until I get rollbars, cages and harnesses.

Ironwood

timberfaller390

Atlanta Air Recovery has one similar to that, they call it Godzilla. I got to help them play with it when a Cessna decided to land upside down in a pine stand. I found an honest to goodness real life ghost town while cutting a path to get back to the plane but that is a whole nother story.  :D Thier site is www.atlantaairrecovery.com  click on photo gallery for pics of thier crawler/crane.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

stonebroke

With all the neat stuff you have ,You don't have a two axle trailer to haul it around?

Stonebroke

Ironwood

I saw one like that for sale online. It is a C30R w/ a two ton crane mounted on it. The crawler is a "platform" for just getting the crane where you need it. Neat. Thanks for sharing.

Stone,

Yes, many two axles and a few "in my head" w/ axles and decks waiting to be "married".
I like the simplicity and low to the ground nature of that single, especailly where I was headed that day, a logging job near home w/ very little manuvering space on the log loading deck area. I have a little "issue" w/ trailers, easy to maintain and cheap to own, I must have 8-9 various ones around, half singles, half duals ::). Kinda like cranes and forklifts, never met one I didn't like :D

Ironwood

logger444

Ironwood

Thanks for the reminder, my wife's small church back home lost one young father and nearly his bother as well, to a dump truck body being w/ in 10' or so of a line while dumping. The power arced across and killed the fella.

I have a number of cranes and ALWAYS try to keep that issue in the forefront of my mind.

Ironwood

Ironwood

Well, been using the crawler around the house. I was going to get some 1-2 yard self dumping boxes for the forklift to move matrerial around the property, but this unit supplanted that need. I hauled asphalt millings down the drive, 2 ton or so, 3/4 mile. and cleaned up a bunch of bark debris, hauling it over to my burn pit. I will be arching a BIG maple today from the neighbor's place, up the pretty good hill in the yard, so we'll se how it will do in the Urban Logging mode. I'll try to get some pics. Here is the best pic showing it in it's current state. I have been studying it trying to decide how to redo some of the "tin" in combination with the roll bar and cage weldments it needs. I feel a bit rushed w/ winter coming, but hopefullly I can get a few things done before the weather changes.

As for speed, it seems to be about the same as a tractor of similar HP. Only w/ tracks you rarely want to go "road gear" as it can be a little "rough" :D Seems to be a good combination of durability and  weight for what I do. I am curious what kind of luck I would have w/ skidding medium sized logs, I have feeling it will be more about having some weight on it to get traction than a HP/ gearing issue.  I just welded up a nice hitch on the rear for todays Urban endevor, we'll see how that goes.

Ironwood

Ironwood

Well, I love this rig. I moved this COMPLETELY curly soft maple out of my nieghbors yard yesterday. It was too steep and access limited to use anyother piece of equipment except a crane to lift it out of the yardover the garage/ house. I had to arch it out through the other nieghbors yard( and DOWN the road :o)  I grabbed all the smallish stuff as well due to density of curl. There are also some other tree trunks I hauled on the bed of the crawler just to see how it would do. Looks like the crane is a bit more powerful than tagged. 

Ironwood

stonebroke

Is a load like that a strain for the undercarriage?

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!