iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone know about yanmar tractors?

Started by semologger, October 02, 2011, 05:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

I bought one from a guy for 6 hundred bucks. Its not the best shape in the world but its 4wd and has a front end loader on it a bucket. The motor is bad on it and he just never did anything with it. The tractor model is a 1820D I think its 20 or 21 horse power. He said he knew a guy that has some motors possibly for it for around 500 dollars. Will get pitchures sometime. I paid him half down and will pick it up when i pay it off the rest. I am not a tractor man and have hardly ran one. But i need one around bad.

Taylortractornut

Yanmar tractors   are good  basic tractor Im not sure about the motor in and 1820 but it will be a 2 cylinder.   the 2500 is the lowest  number you can get  i nthe older range with a 3 cylinder.   We ve had a 3000  since 97.   Dad bought it off the boat with a cracked block and ordered a used low hour from Japan.     We finish mowed 17 acres  every week with it  feild mowed and tilled about 25 acres per year.   

I let water get in the hydraulics and  the pump froze and twisted the shaft off last winter.  Johndeere wanted  1 000 dollars for a new pump.    I called Hoye tractor and  they got me a new one for 400.   

http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HTE&Category_Code=1820
My overload permit starts after sunset

woodmills1

most of the early john deere compact tractors were yanmars or at least had yanmar engines
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

semologger

Thanks for the info. The motor in this is a 3T80U-NB. Its a 3 cylinder. I have rebuilt my own motors in before. Never anything so little though. This motor is tiny compared to the 6 cylinder in my john deere skidder and the 453 detroits on my old skidder.  I was hoping to just buy a used motor fairly cheap. And i can rebuild the one i take out of it. What size bush hog can i put on it? Will it handle a 5 foot or should i find a 4 foot?

25 acres probly took a bit of time tilling up with small tractor didnt it.

Kcwoodbutcher

That motor sounds like the one I have in my JD 855. I rebuilt it at about 7500 hours at a cost of about 2500 dollars.  The only place I could find parts was JD and you know they're expensive. It's a great motor and worth the cost.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Taylortractornut

Not too long at  5 foot tiller and 30 hp .  It wasnt at one time   just acre lots here and there.
I m not familar with the 1820 .   why I put it as a 2 cylinder.       Hoye sells  rebuild kits, Deere  wont sell many kits for a yanmar serial number.    A s friend has a 2500 with a 3t80 in it and they wouldnt sell a part nore would  Yanmar USA.    We  did order  one from yanmar usa  going on the principle that the cost of retooling  to make a nother part. sure enough we got the right parts.  One thing  I like to run in my   Yanmars cooling system is Luberfiner to keep the wet liners from corroding.

Ironwood

I have no less than 4 Yanmar motors here now, one in a tractor (JD755), Gator (HPX), and two Yanmar crawler off road dumps. I also have had two small single cylinder diesel military gensets here with Yanmars. I had a 655 JD tractor that I sold, it had a Yanmar. I like them.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Brucer

My John Deere 750 is a Yanmar, painted green and branded JD. It was supposedly built to JD specs -- as far as I can tell it was designed to allow JD accessories to be mounted with inch-size bolts.

Mine's a 3-cylinder diesel -- I'll check the engine model number tomorrow.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

dutchman

I have a 5' hog on a JD750, 4wd, with front loader.
Mow mostly up and down hill, it pulls fine in 3rd gear.
Moves logs at the sawmill when needed.

thecfarm

I would more be in line to think a 4 foot bush hog would suit it better. I run a 6 foot on my 40 hp and the tall grass and weeds will slow it down in 3rd. But this is stuff 3-4 feet tall too. Now we keep it all mowed with a 30hp and a mid mount mower. But just don't take the full 5 foot with it.In my eyes a 20 hp tractor is not much. I had an 18hp once,it gets things done,but kinda slow and can't do alot with it. I replaced with a 30hp and what a difference. I haul a lot of dirt and rocks with it. There is a small hill going to the woods road and I could feel that little tractor kinda light on the back end with a load on. The 30hp don't even know it's there and hauling more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

My 755 is hydrostat so it kills some horsepower (although I love it). I has a FEL as well.

Five foot brush hogs are MUCH more common and available. I still have mine from an 8N, the tractor pulls it OK. A few strategies, cut when weeds are wet, helps lube the blade (keep it  sharp too), keeps down the dust/seeds as well.   Try to avoid climbs (hilly here) contour cut around the hills.  I only cut my two 4 acre fields twice a year, so a little extra time is no biggie and the tractor is reasonable enough sized to finish cut with a 72" belly mower. If someone offered me a 855 or 955 I would trade up, but it is what I found (had a 655 first). These older units suit me fine and my improvements (16.5" rims and R-4 tires are transferable to the next 855/955 ;)) as well as the tooth bar on the front bucket.

I will also add that a common misconception is that a flail mower may consume less horsepower, I bought a used one and found it did NOT work as well as a 5' brush hog. The stump jumper and blades create a sort of "momentum wheel" effect carrying it though sort bouts of thick tough cutting. I would still use the flail if it was needed but the brush hog seems to do just fine even in the woods and hilly terrain in the woods. I would NOT run such a big heavy brush hog without a FEL to balance the load in the steep woods where i clear underbrush.

I also just bought a Sweepster 72" rotary sweeper at an auction ($100 :o). I thought it mght be too much for the tractor, but MAN, works great! I priced one of these new and WOW :o stupid expensive. I have semi paved drives and man does it do a nice job. Here is my 9 year old cutting: 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

Ironwood
Nice rig.
I noticed your bent tension straps that run from the top arm to the rear of the deck. I replaced those with chain, and find the mower deck rides over the terrain much better. Leave the top arm long enough so there is some slack in the chain when mowing but will lift the rear wheel when the 3 ph is raised.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

I had a buddy on it TODAY in my one field and they finally broke. Chains are also what I have seen. That IS the plan . Good observation. Our terrain here plays hell with stuff like that.

Ironwood

ScottAR

Our 1050 deere is a green Yanmar and runs like a swiss watch.

There's a place in AL called fredricks equipment that sells parts for the yannies. 

Really like yanmar engines...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ironwood

Thanks for the link

http://www.fredricksequipment.com/yanmar/

It is good to know who is offering parts service other than JD. I need a starter for my Gator and DONT want to spend the $500 my JD dealer wants. It is likely Fredricks will have/can get what I need cheaper.

Ironwood

pineywoods

Scott tractor co in Jackson Miss has parts for yanmars, even the gray market ones.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Radar67

I have a Yanmar 2500 and I like it. I met the owner of Fredricks over at Moultrie a few years back. He seemed like a very nice man. my tractor just keeps working and working.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

semologger

Ive been to busy to try and run down a motor. But i am anxious to get this thing running. I keep on seeing many uses for it around the mill. Mostly when i am useing the scoop  shovel on the mulch and bark cleaning up around the mill. My back will feal alot better i am telling ya just to go in there with the front end loader and then dump it into the bucket i have on the other lift. Well to describe how much mulch we have to shovel a bucket full is. This little tractor will fit in the bucket. Its a bed off a full size dump truck 10 wheeler But cut in half. It works great.

whitepe

yanmar 3TNE84 in my John Deere CUT.   a lot of the commercial fishing boats in akashi / kobe Japan use yanmar engines.  At least I assume they did since a lot of them
had yanmar stickers on them while I was mosying around in the harbor.   Of course as you know, Yanmar made their own brand of tractor also (don't know if they still do) but they are " primarily" an engine company.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

snowstorm

didnt yanmar hook up with cub cadet? also quite a few yanmar marine engines up here in the northeast

Taylortractornut

Yanmar still makes a long list of equipment, Tractors  up to a  the  mid 80 Hp range,  tracked dumpers, wheeled dumpers, small wheeled loaders,  mini and  midi  excavators,  mini Tractor backoes and rice combines are a few things.   THey are  one of the largest family owned companies in the world.

THe tractors they  made for  JD in the  70's  were almost Identicle except for the  sheetmetal and some features like gearing.    THe Yanmars had a lot lower   top end speed than the  same equivelent in a  JD.     Multi speed PTOs  my 3000 has 4 speeds on the  pto.      THey also lacked a few  of our  extreme safety measures.      Also  the  lift capacity of the 3 point  is set a bit higher than the  JDs.      Where  most JD's  had  fixed wheel spacings my Yanmar s wheels can be set in and out for row crop work.

Thank You Sponsors!