iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 Govener

Started by furltech, April 03, 2012, 02:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

YEs the governor on my tj is revving up quite high under load and taking forever to idle back down after i let off the throttle i gave it a quick look did not see anything the matter with it just before i left but time was pressing to do an in depth look .any ideas before i head back in to the bush tomorrow morning thanks in advance if anyone has and thing i should try .

grassfed

You may have a sticky injector. disconnect the rack and work each injector by hand...if one is sticky then change it out. Also check the linkage for anything that might be binding.
Mike

furltech

Ok i will give that a shot tomorrow when i get in to the woods ,thanks 

bushmechanic

When you take the valve cover off look at the tube that connects all the injectors together and on the oppsite end from linkage to the govenor there is a return spring that brings the rack back.If the spring is unhooked or broken then the engine will rev longer when comming down off high rpms.Also if the rack is binding in the end bushings you will get the same problem,make sure they are free.The best way to seperate an engine problem from a govenor problem is to disconnect the rack from the govenor and manually use the rack.(take the small pin out).Let us know how you get on.

furltech

Ok did everything suggested but did not see anything wrong in there .but i did notice that if i run it with the shut off partially engaged it seems to smooth right out .now i noticed there is a set bolt on the side of the governor what exactly does it do .thanks again 

bushmechanic

That set bolt on the side as you call it is the buffer screw and it is there to take the roll out of the engine.If you snap the throttle,when the engine comes back to idle the buffer stops it from "hunting"for idle speed.It is not the idle screw,and do not use it for that.What govoner does that 353 have?Look on the govoner tag and see what it says.Usually it will either say S.W.V.S.-single weight variable speed or D.W.L.S.-double weight limiting speed.Did you do any other work on the engine recently?I have seen guys remove the cylinder head on those engines and bend the rod that connects the govoner to the fuel rack then you will get all kinds of problems from low rpms to high rpms. 

furltech

ok i will look tommorow i had the engine rebuilt about 8 or nine months ago .thanks for the help

furltech

Good day all, did not get a chance to look at the old beast today started cutting early and everything was going great hated to jinx it ,had one of those dandy everything working right nothing breaking down super productive days .Now i am home had a good supper and am laying on the couch content lol .hope everyones week went well also .i at least got one good'un this week

Tramp Bushler

Hi all . I'm new on this site . I already like it . I've been loggin since I was 11 yr old . Grew up in central Maine . Immigrated to Alaska when I was 18 . Started back in the brush 4 years later and still at it . Haven't been south in 29 years 10 months . Pre commercial tree thinning , tower loggin , rafting+ booming+ tug boating . But mainly falling timber in Southeast .

I know ALOT about timber and powersaws . But little anout deisel engines . I have my own business now . Mainly logging beattle killed spruce for firewood  I have a Terex L20 front end loader that I have been logging and loading with . It has a 3-71 in it and a 330 GP TimberJack that I need to get mobed up here that has a 3-53 in it . I'll probably be asking alot of Detroit questions  :P
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

beenthere

Welcome Tramp
I see you are located in Copper Valley. I did some work on Wrangle Island with dead AK yellow cedar. There were a lot of people looking for work at the time.
Beautiful country in the SE. Did a few trips up the Stikine River.
Look forward to hearing about your past almost 30 years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tramp Bushler

I don't want to hijack the thread so won't ask lots of ?  When were u there ?
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

bushmechanic

Hey Furltech a week has passed,just wondering how you got on?

furltech

Well due to being slack, and busy with the roads startin to open up trying to arrange the thousand things a fellow has to do ,i did not get to having another gander at the governor  i will get on it and get back to you sorry if i have tied up your time .i do appreciate the help .

furltech

ok i got a chance to look at the govenor finally when the operator wanted to see what she looked like upside down lol when i toook the hood off to check for damage i remembered to look it says sw-v on the side .is there some way of setting this or should i leave well enough alone .

Jamie_C

when she's upside down is also a good time to make sure all the bolts in the belly pans are tight  ;D

furltech

That is the same thing i told him jamie ,he did not see the humor in it, he is green and it kind of freaked him a little . :D

Jamie_C

Quote from: furltech on June 17, 2012, 04:48:19 AM
That is the same thing i told him jamie ,he did not see the humor in it, he is green and it kind of freaked him a little . :D

LOL ... first machine i ever rolled was a 230 Forwarder, down over the side of an old railway bed, when it laid on it's side the "top" of the machine was level with the top of the old railway bed .... oh they joys of running a forwarder with no breaks and a boss that didn't want to fix them

When you have been running forwarders as long as i have and in the ground i have worked on over the years then rolling one is just a matter of time. Let me take him to Windsor and show him the ground i was working on last time i rolled one ... tell him to bring diapers  :D

Thank You Sponsors!