iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A question about tree species

Started by Quebecnewf, March 13, 2018, 07:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Ok now this is going to be a bit of a strange question.

A friend of mine who has started cutting a bit of firewood in a region about 300 miles west of where we live has spoken about a tree the the local guys in that region call ( Cyprus) . We are talking about the boreal forest of Canada , northern Quebec. 

The tree is a conifer .

We have discussed this and I am saying there are no Cyprus in Quebec. I am thinking it is a ( slang ) ( French / English ) thing .

As an example eastern larch is called (  eppinette rouge ) in French  in some regions , which if you translate into English is ( red spruce ) . 
I am thinking this is the same type of issue .

Have done a lot of poking around but no closer to finding the answer.

So I am putting it out there. I am sure the answer is to be found on this site . 

Quebecnewf 

Jeff

Northern white cedar would be the closest thing to cypress I can think of.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dgdrls

Jeff

Other than he is east. Way east. ;)

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Quebecnewf

Scrub pine 

This grows in northern Quebec , Canada .?

Not sure that is the answer 

Quebecnewf 

Jeff

My property in the u.p. Is boreal forest  the species there are black spruce, northern white cedar, balsam fir and then some hemlock but that is on the border edge of the boreal and hardwoods. No chance for photos?

Quebecnewf

Sorry no pics yet . I am leaning towards Jack pine but still trying to find out for sure .

I am quite sure it is a local ( slang) name . 

Quebecnewf 

47sawdust

I quote from the above link,

The Eastern species of jack pine sometimes called grey and scrub pine or in Quebec,cypress, is known to botanists as Pinus Banksiana.

Of course, there is no accounting for local slang.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jeff

We have jack pine in lower michigan but not in the boreal forest.  You can tell the jackpine by the cones. The cones are tight and hard.  They are a scruffy looking tree for sure. Smallish, probably never over twenty something feet tall. I don't know how they would get a local name like cypress. Jackpine cones need fire to open and propagate.

Don P

It is one of the common names for jack pine;
https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/TechSheets/SoftwoodNA/htmlDocs/pinusbanksian.html

I also found it in multiple old references from Quebec, I'm guessing 47sawdust has it pegged. 

Thank You Sponsors!