iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oficial Clarification and Recomendation

Started by dail_h, February 01, 2004, 09:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

I thought about this at work the other night ,and like the Grinch, I've puzzeled and puzzeled until my puzzeler is sore. maybe you guys can help.
   If a guy buys a new sawmill, do boards sawn while testing and aligning the mill count,or is the official,historical first board counted after?
   If this same guy had a choice of large hickory,huge red oak,some eERC, one puny magnolia,or some SYP,Sorry Yard Pine,one small pecky cypress,what should be used for the "official" first log?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

woodmills1

I guess first board would be just that.  First board from first log that was cut after the mill was yours, that is testing somewhere else or before owning wouldnt count.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Captain

My first board came from a tulip poplar log at Revcant's place.  I think it is now nailed up to one of his barns.  I did not have the foresight in all of my exitement to even think about it  ::)

Captain

DanG

I think the "whack" rules apply here.  Whichever board you declare to be "First Board," is the one. I kept several boards from the little cedar log I cut when I went to Ft. White to check out the mill. The seller provided the log, but was gracious about sharing the wood. The honors went to a little 1/4"x2"x7' strip that my wife made a little knick-knack shelf from.  I recently gave my Dad another piece from that day, all dried and planed, so he could make a little something from it. So far, it is just standing in the corner where he can see it and appreciate where it came from. It is an uncommonly pretty piece of wood, though, so I hope he'll do something with it. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Only when one is older (and bigger) does one become brave enough to 'give' his Dad a DanG board with which he can just stand in the corner.   ;D ;D :o  I always tried to be sure there were no loose and handy boards laying around, and easy to get too.  :) :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeepWoods

My first board came from a red pine from our 40.  It is drying, and will find it's way back to the cabin when I think of a good use for it.  I am glad I was able to keep the first one.  I am thinking of making a sign to hang on the garage or cabin.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

DanG

:D :D  It's not so much that I'm older, but rather that he is older, and I can outrun him, even if he has a seven foot board. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

the cedar is real easy to saw and would look good in anything you might want to make for a keepsake 8)

I don't know anything about Magnolia

The large redoak might be best to save till you learn your saw a little.

Pine can sometimes be a problem if it's pitchy  and  the would wouldn't be as pretty as the oak or cedar if you want to make something from it.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

rbarshaw

My first board is a Sweet Gum 6' 2X4, it's purty and pure white and is setting in my shop to be made into a sign for my mill.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

mhasel

Lets see, the first official full board off was from a tulip popular Dad and I cut off the farm the day before. He marked it as it came off the mill and it is now setting inside drying and waiting to be made into something?? Maybe some sort of sign that I can mark the stump with for future generations :)

Mike

dail_h

Thanks guys,sorry not to get back,but been having trouble with boiler at work. 12 hr night shifts ain't no fun no way :'( :'( :'(
      Volume Discount At ER

LeeB

my first one came from a pecan log that i hauled to two different mills and left for them to get time. After 8-9 months I bought my own mill and did it myself. Couldn't tell which one it is now but pretty sure I still got it. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Tom

I wish I had the fore-sight to save my first board.  I was so excited that I cut a black gum up into a bunch of 1/2 inch thick boards that ended up stacked in a field which was later planted in pines.  The boards didn't rot for some reason but I discarded them because I could not think of anything to use a 1/2 inch thick black gum board for.  :-X   There is a chance I could find the remnants of one out there somewhere.....maybe. :D  but I doubt it. ::)

Mark M

Did you get a saw Dail?

My first log was a cottonwood. I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know it was a cottonwood for sure until I went over to a place where they had cut a bunch of big cottonwoods down for a housing development. On wif and I knew what I had. I have a hard time telling these ND trees apart when they don't have any leaves.

SwampDonkey

Tom

Lookout for the snakes skooten out from under the board pile.

;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dail_h

Mark,
   No mill yet,but I am starting to plan a trip to Buffalo,Routes,lodging,time off,a trailer as the guy at Norwood said a mill and edger and all the other stuff is too much for my truck :-/
      Volume Discount At ER

dail_h

Shoot,
   Think I'll start on a ceada Shoot can't spell neithe it'l make a purtier sign or whatever
      Volume Discount At ER

ARKANSAWYER

Don't know where my first board has gotten off to but it was red oak.  I am now trying to figure out my board count so when I cut the 1 million bdft board next month or so I can keep it.  I am now wishing I had kept my first board to go with the 1 million board.  Oh well.
   Do the cedar one as at least it will smell good no matter what it looks like. :D :D :D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!