iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Tension when not using mill

Started by 123maxbars, March 25, 2012, 12:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutting Edge

Quote from: never finished on March 25, 2012, 09:44:16 PM
I let mine off at the end of the day. It might be tomorrow, or next month before I saw again. Okra I bought a pawn shop torque wrench to solve tightness problem. That was after a major problem of a broken shaft. The biggest part of the problem  was figuring out what the problem was.       

Excellent/Simple solution for us with non-hydro tensioners!!!   8)  That would take all the guess work and "fluttering" outta the equation...I will be adding this to the mill tools for sure!!  Just have to remember to back off the torque wrench now   ::)
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Brucer

Quote from: cutterboy on March 25, 2012, 09:05:15 PM
I know it is common practice to back off the tension on the blade when done sawing for the day. But I don't know why. In all these posts in this thread there is not one with a good reason why we do it. ...

Here's the one you missed ;D.

Quote from: Brucer on March 25, 2012, 02:18:40 AM
... In these parts the temperature change from early morning to afternoon will cause the fluid in the tensioner to expand. I've seen the tension go right off the gauge when I forgot to back off the tension during lunch.

To give you an idea of what can happen, my friend John bought a new hydraulic Wood-Mizer 3 years ago. A few days after he fired it up he noticed the blade was losing tension. Wood-Mizer told him to check the fluid level in the tensioner -- it was full. They had him try a couple of other troubleshooting tricks -- nothing.

Finally they told him to just keep tightening it. There must be a fluid leak somewhere and it would eventually show up. Well John was sawing and the pressure kept falling off so he just kept winding up the adjuster. Suddenly in the middle of a cut there was a loud bang and fluid sprayed straight up in the air from the tensioner. It turned out the guage was faulty and he had the pressure up around 4500 PSI. It blew the top right off the guage.

The point here is that rising air temperature or direct sunlight pushes the pressure up 'till you're off the guage, you really don't know how high it's gone.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ely

i take the pressure off my norwood each day or if i stop for lunch.
i also turn of the water and run the band until dry before i let it off.
i have been squirting oil on the blade guides too after the bands dries.seems to help the bearings.

Okrafarmer

I oil the bearings. They're too expensive not to.  >:(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Chuck White

It's also been said that in hot weather, that if you don't back the tension off when shutting down, that due to the heat, the band could snap.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tcsmpsi

I release all tension on my band at the end of the sawing day.  The torque wrench (for those to whom it might apply) works if you use the same type of blade.  Different bands work most efficiently with different tensions.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

bandmiller2

When I'am done sawing at the end of the day I usally remove the band for sharpening and install a sharp one might as well leave it slack til the next running.Prehaps theirs no real damage from leaving the band tensioned but it can't help it, bearings,springs and belts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fat olde elf

Cook's manual says to detension at the end of the day.  I rarely forget. Not worried about flatttening any belts on the mill as I have solid steel band wheels. Just trying to follow directions.........Say your prayers
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

starrtraveler

Quote from: dgdrls on March 25, 2012, 09:56:22 PM
Cutterboy,

See the link I posted from Suffolk Machine in this thread,

Item 3 page 6 of the online catalog answer's your question(s).

Best DGDrls

Just printing out your reference to Suffolks recommendations for de-tensioning blades after cutting.
ALWAYS DETENSION YOUR BANDS
When you are done cutting for the day, take the tension off your blade. Band saw blades, when warmed up from cutting, always stretch; and upon cooling shrink by tens of thousandths of an inch each cooling period. Therefore, blades, when left on the saw over tension themselves and leave the memory of the two wheels in the steel of the band, which will cause cracking in the gullet. When you leave the band on your saw under tension, not only do you distort the crown and flatten out the tires (which makes them very hard), but you also place undue stress on your bearings and shafts. Believe it or not; you can, and will damage your wheel geometry sooner or later and considerably shorten bearing life. You are also crushing your tires or V-belts.

Figured this would be a nice link to throw in: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six-rules-of-sawing/
In the process of gathering info to build a bandmill.  Going with the Linn design.

Knute

I have had my LT28 for 18 months and have never released the tension except when changing blades. Have never had any problems, but maybe should start to release when not in use. I don't remember seeing anything in the instructions regarding this, but I could have missed it.

cutterboy

Quote from: dgdrls on March 25, 2012, 09:56:22 PM
Cutterboy,

See the link I posted from Suffolk Machine in this thread,

Item 3 page 6 of the online catalog answer's your question(s).

Best DGDrls

Thanks dgdrls, that was very interesting. I guess I'll be more careful about backing of tension.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

cutterboy

Brucer, my Norwood has a different tensioner than your Woodmiser. There's no fluid in it. It has a large spring. However, thanks for your post..... there are so many woodmiser owners out there.

Starrtravler, thanks for posting the info that dgdrls brought to our attention. There is good information in there.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!