iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for information in building home made electric generator

Started by alsayyed, August 09, 2007, 08:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Hello there I have searched the internet I could not come with this article. Build your own home made electric generator. I have a China made generator by looking at it looks simple only motor and regulator and starter unless there are some hidden components that cannot be seen, but the only things how to determine how much power you want what it is the factor in determine the power. What type manually starting I mean pull the rope or the starter switch. My question dose anybody run into article before or have you seen this somewhere regarding this building your own generator from scratch,

I appreciate your feedback in this matter.

Modat22

depends on what you want to do with it. I've seen small 10 amp 120v generators made with a 3.5hp briggs and a truck alternator.

If you want a serious machine 13kw or larger, find generator heads that have user replacable bearings and brushes. Stay away from inverter based machines. Why stay away from inverter based generator sets? User repair.

I should define inverter based gen set. An inverter based generator set uses a spinning generator and an electronic inverter to adjust the field strength within the generator. Its more complex.

The generator head you want is the old fasioned kind that relies on the RPM of the power engine to maintain the 60hz frequency of the electricity produced.

I researched building one of these a few years ago and prices I found for the gen head where around 900.00 for a 15kw generator head, about 400.00 for a used VW diesal engine and around 150.00 for a machine shop to make a bolt on shaft for the engine.

You'll find that most of the generator heads that fit what I'm talking about are made in china.

Found a link ST generator link
remember man that thy are dust.

Slabs

VOLTMASTER  has a good line of generator "blanks" to go with your engine of choice.  You can Google them up easier than I can post a link.  You need a way to maintain a constant engine speed for A C  generators.  If you come up with a good source for governors, let me know.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

sawguy21

Most stationary engines are equipped with governors. Automotive and truck engines can be used but are generally not designed for steady load, fixed speed operation. How many watts and what frequency do you need?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawhead

Pierce makes governors for almost every kind of engine . governors On their contact page they have a list of dist. through out the U.S.
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

Slabs

Thanx sawhead.  Pierce definately has a line of governors but the catalog listing seems to be "coming soon".  No hurry here.

Sawguy21, a Perkins 3 cylinder out of a Fergusen 135 would be my first choice of a fixed "standby" generator engine (not to be confused with the little "emergency" putt-putts) since it has a built in governor running directly off the crankshaft.  Engine coolant could be exchanged over to hot water and I wonder if anyone has marketed a marine manifold for that unit.

Thanks to all

Der Klugemeister
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Modat22

I thought about using a newer cruise control as a governor. It would need a holifect sensor placed on the damper and a signal divider to feed the pulses into the cruise control and I think it would give the cruise control enough resolution to hold the engine where it needs to be. Actually a person might put a divide by 100 frequency sensor on the generator itself and let the 60hz frequency of the generator provide the pulse needed by the cruise control.

Just thinking while typing  :D
remember man that thy are dust.

pineywoods

Modat the cruise control thingy works pretty well, just glue a magnet on something that rotates and mount the hall-effect pick-up somewhere close. just be sure to get one that has electric actuator to the throttle. Most of the cheaper ones use a vacuum actuator, don't work at all on a diesel, and not very well on small gas-burners.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Slabs

Modat

I think you might have a very good point on the 60 Hz for synchronization.  A full 60 Hz from a filament or doorbell step-down transformer and rectified down to the one-half cycle would be 3600 ppm or the equivalent of 3600 rpm. (single pickup cruise control) Those 3600 pulses might offer a higher resolution for the cruise control pickup input and give a finer control.

Just my idea to go with yours.

dail_h

Alsayyed,
   Check out listerengines.com. Slow speed diesel engines,based on the Lister CS series of engines. Simple reliable affordable,economical to operate,they'll burn most anything fuelwise that's pumpable.Hooked to an ST head they make a good genset.
   Most all brands are now made in India now,and they do have some issues with quality control,fit & finish ect,most will need some dissasembly and cleaning to be what we here in the U.S. call ready to run engines.
   Mr Autul Patel,(I think I spelled his name right) of "Power Ananad" is very helpful with question about these engines,and is usually quick to reply to emails.No financial interest etc yada,yada,your mileage may vary.
     VERY COOL ENGINES
   Our member RPG52 on here has one operating,I'm sure he would be glad to help also
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

low_48

Need a cheap 6.5 hp diesel for that generator? I got a bunch, even comes with a single axle trailer and a 40 gal fuel tank. Look in my photo albumn or drop me an email.

Thank You Sponsors!