iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To restore, or not to restore?

Started by Jeff, April 30, 2013, 09:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have another collectible here that I am trying to decide whether to try and do some restoration to or not.  It is a Forest Service First Aid Kit. The outside of the box is in rather rough condition, but the inside and contents are really pretty cool. I was wondering what the consensus might be to trying to refinish the outside of the box? It's not like it is some rare antique with a ton of value, in fact I would think the value is rather low other than to someone like me who treasures it for what is behind it. There is enough left of the original paint and labeling, that I should be able to do a pretty faithful restoration. If I did something, it would be only to the outside of the box.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Leave it alone.  That's what they always say on the Antique Roadshow, anyway.  :)

Compensation

That's a hard one. I would base it on the rust. If it only has a few dimples because of it, I might leave it. But if it needs a coat of body filler then why not. At least the inside gives you a great opportunity to color match.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Jeff on April 30, 2013, 09:32:54 AM
There is enough left of the original paint and labeling, that I should be able to do a pretty faithful restoration. If I did something, it would be only to the outside of the box.

This is the key. If you can do a good job (and I know you can), then go for it. You won't regret it. As you said, it's not valuable except to someone like you. So do what you want with it. I think it's great now, but it would look even better restored.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Since it's value is in your eyes, and a proper restoration would make you proud, then I would do the makeover. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

loggah

Jeff, i would leave it alone ,it has character(SP) as it is. Did you ever work for the forest service?  ;D I did one summer in the late 60,s during summer vacation, there i learned ,the right way,the wrong way, and the FS way !!!!! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Brad_bb

The amount of rust is what I don't like.  If it were me, I'd consider blasting the outside in a glass bead blast cabinet(I have one).  Bodywork to fill the rust pits.  Repaint as per original with markings....then....figure out how to distress the paint and markings on the outside to look like it's got some wear and tear, just no rust.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

red oaks lumber

leave it be, aging along like life :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Left Coast Chris

The minus about leaving it alone is it's condition is bad enough that a passer by cannot tell what it is.   It would be a better conversation piece if the outside where restored. 
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Al_Smith

That kit has probabley earned every battle scar it has .They all tell a secret if you stop and think about it .

thecfarm

If you are not going to sell it,restore it!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Seaman

I want to know what was used for insect repellant in the bottle?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Todd

Is there a way to preserve it as is..i.e.  keep the rust but stop it from rusting further?
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Jeff

I'm leaning towards leaving it. Mostly because the way I'm thinking on displaying it would be with the box open, sort of like in the last of the first posted photos, so you don't see the outside anyhow.

Here is a photo of the insect repellant. I'm not sure if this might be a later addition to the kit, but really have no way of knowing for sure.

The one inch square bottles contain: Oil of Cloves, Sprit of Ammonia, Boric Acid, Cascara Pills, Tincture of Merthiolate and one where I can't make out the label. There is a round tin of Antiseptic First-Aid Dressing and Surgical Powder (made by Sharp & Dohme)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WmFritz

My thoughts are if it were mine, I'd restore it. I looked up Ricks Restoration in Las Vegas. He does coke machines and such on The Discovery Channel. After seeing some sample prices of work he does, I think I'd leave it.  :-\

http://www.ricksrestorations.com/restoration-fees.php
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

RynSmith

Man-o-man you've got some stuff there!  75% DEET!  :o  Cascara pills!   :-X  Be sure not to spill the merthiolate...

Tim Lea

I don't know what I would do.. But man that is cool !!!

Ron Scott

I remember those old first aid kits well. Carried one in my FS vehicle.They also had rolled up wire splints in them. There was also another version about 1/2 the size or so to the one that you have. They were heavy duty metal boxes.
~Ron

Al_Smith

Quote from: WmFritz on May 06, 2013, 09:44:58 AM

My thoughts are if it were mine, I'd restore it. I looked up Ricks Restoration in Las Vegas. He does coke machines and such on The Discovery Channel. After seeing some sample prices of work he does, I think I'd leave it.  :-\
Typical reality type programing .Nice looking work ,fit for a kings or a kings ransome depending on how you look at it .Evidently some people have more dollars than they have sense .Old Rick must figure his labor rates at about 500 an hour or it's all for show on the program .Probabley pays the help about 9 bucks an hour .

js2743

I would restore it to the original specs inside and out. have the handle and the latch re chromed and a nice smooth paint job and it would look awesome sitting any wheres. 

tractormanNwv

Jeff,

I have learned dealing with these tractors and engines that you can paint them as many times as you want,......but they can only be "original" one time. Although hardly any paint remains, this engine is worth more the way it is, than it would be painted, but only to some, restore / don't restore, it's a double edged sword.

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!