iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice!

Started by woodmills1, November 23, 2003, 04:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

One of my friends from around the corner called yesterday to say he had 2 trees cut and saved me two logs.  Well, when I got there he had saved me both trees.  Nice red and white oaks that had their roots chopped during his driveway rebuild.  Filled the trailer with some prime logs.  Had to go down to second low gear to pull the hill on my street on the way home.  Now if my cooper customer wants some quartersawn maybe I can pay my taxes this month. :D :D

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

oakiemac

Now that's the way to haul logs. Sure beats the side loading on a utility trailer. Can you hook that thing up to a truck so you can go down the highway?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

woodmills1

I havent done it, but one local tree service has the same metavic behind one of their trucks.  I talked to the owner and he said all he did was upgrade the stubb axels cause he was constantly overloading it.  This load was really heavy, I can't wait to see how many board feet I get.  The most I have loaded and then cut so far in one trip is a little over 800 feet.  Most times I get 600 or so.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

Looks like my cooper customer will take these quartersawn, will be a nice change from the low dollar pallet wood.  the but logs are both 20 inch at the tops and the second logs only taper to 18,  NICE!

Frank_Pender

Nice whack of logs, Woodmills. :)   Those kinds of loads are sometimes a fellas margin for profit for the month.  :-/
Frank Pender

solidwoods

That's why "log haul capability" pays.
He can also:
Use it as a forklift
Hang trusses
Install septic tank
Remove tree stumps
Get himself and tow vehicle unstuck
Winch trees by chain
Set equipment in place
Load a log deck
Harvest rock
Place rock for retaining walls

JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

woodmills1

Multi purpose for sure.  It is way to easy to get a little tippy trying to lift big rocks though.  Don't know if you can tell from these pictures but there is also a hydraulic winch at the top of the head board.

Just got a call from ron the cooper and he wants the white oak quartered for him. cool! 8)

woodmills1

Just today got done with cutting these logs, a mix of 2x trailer decking and 4/4 quarter sawn.  Ended up with 729 bd ft sawn, though I did include 2 red oaks I had cut earlier for a total over 1000 feet.  One of the white oak logs i really wanted to put into the quartered order but it was showing signs of two trunks near the top so I didn't.  Realized nearly $1,200 on the neighbors logs and over $1600 on the whole 2 orders. 18 hours involved including hauling them home and to the mill along with charging off an hour and a half for pushing snow around.  Once again I learned that the modified quarter sawing method is way faster than true quartering with out much loss of good quarters stock, at least with logs under 20 inches.

Fla._Deadheader

Good going. Them were some purty logs.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

cluckerplucker

I am a real dumbey  But what is meant by Quarter sawing  ?    /  cecil
cecil

woodmills1

It refers to a cutting method.  The log is actually cut into quarters, then each section is set on the mill in such a way as to maximize the number of boards that will be produced with the growth rings perpendicular to the board face.  Also this metod will minimize the amount of boards that include any pith.  For cabinets quarter sawn oak, and i think sycamore, will show the ray flecks and it is prized material.  My customer makes barrels so is interested in this type of lumber so it doesn't split or delaminate when he bends it.  I think there are posts on quartering in the archives.

Fla._Deadheader

James, maybe ya need to set up a stave mill. Strangest blade I ever seen. Looks like a giant hole saw ??? ??? ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

Fla.
Have never heard of a "stave mill", if you got time, tell me about it.

Fla._Deadheader

OK "D".  Hope ya get the picture in yer mind while I splain it.

You have this mill, that's got a carriage a little over 40" long. You have this blade that looks just like a giant hole saw???

The mill carriage sits about 3 feet off the ground and the saw sits along side of the carriage, not over or under it.

You take White Oak, that is split just like firewood,. It has to have a minimum of 4"? of wood at the bark side. The split piece, (bolt), is fastened down on the carriage, so when the carriage goes by the saw, a curved barrel stave is cut that is exactly vertical grain because of the curve of the saw.

NOW, the weird part is, after the piece is cut free from the bolt, it is INSIDE the barrel shaped blade. It falls out the bottom of the mill, into a slide chute, and the offbearer gets it and runs it through an "Edger", to true up the sides. They are stacked on pallets, with the staves on their edges.

Damdest thing I ever did see. ::) ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodmills1

I just cut the quarter sawn and Ron the cooper makes the barrels.  Last time he was here he hand split a few sections of firewood white oak.  I said what do you do next, he says plane them.  Hand plane was what he meant. :D

Buzz-sawyer

Hey woodmills1
 I am curious ...you cut cooperage...round here we sell logs to the big coopers in Missouri....but I dont know anyone who cuts for em...believe they all have thier own spec mills.....sounds interesting is it a large production mill?
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

woodmills1

No I use a Woodmizer HD 40.  Ron the cooper uses mostly material he rives by hand but for some orders he wants well cut quartered oak.  I guess in the grand scale he doesn't use much lumber but to me he is a valuable customer.  a thousand or 2 bd ft every year.  I would have to cut a lot more pallet or farmer wood to make the same as I do from him.

Bro. Noble

Don,

Independant Stave Co at Lebanon Mo.  is probably the largest barrel maker going.  They been in business for ages and their equipment is ancient and facinating.  They buy WO logs rather than bolts like they used to.  When loggers get enough good stave logs,  they take them to one of Indepentant Stave's sawmills.  The local mills set aside stave logs that their loggers bring in and sell them to the stave co rather than saw them.

They used to take tours throughthe barrel factory but I don't know if they do now.  If you're ever in Lebanon (you can see the factory from I-44)  it would be worthwhile to check it out.

They send cants from their outlying mills to Lebanon where they are run through barrel saws like Harold mentioned.  I can't remember how they edged them so that the staves were narrower at the ends than in the middle.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Bro. Noble, I would think the staves are edged after drying. At the stave mill, the staves are edged as a normal board, no taper. They only clean up the edges for a full width.

Just spent over 45 minutes on the "net" and can't find 1 stinkin picture of a Stave Mill ??? ??? ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

I foound one in our local junkyard several years ago,maybe 15 -20,couldn't figure out what it was. Liked to have worried me to death,finallyfigured it out but by then it was but by then it was all gone
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

AtLast

:oWOW..wadda haul!!!.....dem tires er lookin a tad bet stressed though....Im thinkin ya gilded the lilly a tad bit dare.... :D

Buzz-sawyer

Noble
Recently the price we are gettin for white oak has really increased....primarily do to the price the coopers are payin for white oak on the average $.90
Really good money for logs that arent all that great....I also believe the floorin market for grade 2 has pushed prices up on saw logs ....
I yarsd up walnut, cherry, and white oak...I seperate out stuff that I think I can peddle for a better price
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

beenthere

Fla_D
I found an old B&W picture of a stave mill (called portable!) taken in Arkansas in the 30's or 40's. Cannot see the barrel saw very well, or the edger. But the split quarters are on the right, then the barrel saw (circular image), a pile of staves, and someone loading the staves in a two-wheel donkey cart.

There are 11 men working this mill when the picture was taken.

I cannot find a schematic of the stave 'barrel' saw either (yet).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

That's closer than I got. All I found was maps of old locations or aerial photos. ::)

Those stave mills are very interesting.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Norm

One of the things that is driving up white oak prices here is the demand for q-sawn. Seems we get 3 times the requests for q-sawn white oak to all the other varieties we sell. Mission, Stickley, and Arts and Craft style all call for it. I priced some veneer quality butt logs that had to be a min. of 28" on the small end from two different loggers. Price was 85-100 per mbf. :o

Thank You Sponsors!