iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found a nice Old Log Cabin

Started by 123maxbars, January 27, 2016, 08:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

A friend notified me of a property for sale and it had an old "shack" on it. The owner told me I could have the wood if I would tare it down.
I went out Monday to look at it which turned out to be more than a "Shack". I figured this is sawmill related since it is logs/timber and I will
either saw them into boards on my LT35 or rebuild the cabin on a different site after I take it down.  I am leaning more toward taking it back to my property
and building it back into another work shop. Thought you guys would enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyTiSy9eCk
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Coffee_Creek

sawwood

On DIY there is a show called Barn Wood Builders. Great show where they take down old log buildings and them
rebuild them for a customer and if you get chance watch it. They also use a woodmizer to make lumber or to
cut a flat side on some of the logs.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

WV Sawmiller

Great find and great video. Keep us informed on your progress.

If the rest of the cabin is as sound as what you showed so far my vote is to keep it intact as is. You can always change your mind later and mill it any time but once milled it can never be restored to cabin status.

We moved here to WV 25+ years ago and had a big 2 story log barn in front of the house. The bottom logs were badly rotted and it later collapsed. I was working overseas at the time (fortunately as I likely would have burned it) and my then teen aged son and his buddy dismantled it and rebuilt it as a single story structure on an adjacent lot I had recently bought. it is now my tool shed. The boys did a very good job of rebuilding it.

Good luck and be real careful working on those project. Lots of hazards like collapsing, snakes, wasps, etc. Easy to get hurt if not super careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ocklawahaboy

Please don't mill that.  A piece of history like that deserves to stay around.  Those old things are almost non-existent here in subtropical FL most of those rotted away long ago and the few we have are in demand for "heritage" villages that get set up in public parks etc.  That would make for a great workshop.

123maxbars

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on January 27, 2016, 10:07:12 PM
Please don't mill that.  A piece of history like that deserves to stay around.  Those old things are almost non-existent here in subtropical FL most of those rotted away long ago and the few we have are in demand for "heritage" villages that get set up in public parks etc.  That would make for a great workshop.

thanks for watching and your input. I am leaning toward another workshop on my property. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

js2743

yes please dont mill the logs, label them and put it back up if you have a place to do it on.

fishfighter

Quote from: sawwood on January 27, 2016, 08:40:56 PM
On DIY there is a show called Barn Wood Builders. Great show where they take down old log buildings and them
rebuild them for a customer and if you get chance watch it. They also use a woodmizer to make lumber or to
cut a flat side on some of the logs.

Sawwood

I enjoy that show. Has me thinking. :D Like I need another project. :o

Nice video OP.

tomsteve

thats awesome!
i had the blessing of scavenging through an old collapsed barn about 8 years ago. it was a seriously leaning barn until 5 or so months prior as the owner had kids playin in it and he ws concerned with them getting hurt.
anyways, it wad built in 1886. lots of hand hewn beams ranging from 8" by 12" up to 14" by16". i was only ableto haul up to 8 footers and really eyed a 14 by 16 by 45' beam. thatsa lie..... i drooled on it.
anyways, i milled it up with my chainsaw and table saw which meant i only was able to get 6" wide boards, but absolutely beautiful. however, beings how the beams had a lot of cracks there was quite a bit if waste.

WV Sawmiller

Found a picture of the rebuilt barn I mentioned above. See below.

Was taken last year while I was towing the grandkids behind my 4 wheeler on snow racers we brought back from Norway. Don't know who had more fun - e or the girls.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!