iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawhead Hydraulic Creep

Started by T4R11, May 05, 2024, 08:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T4R11

I have a Timber Harvester mill and when any of the hydraulic levers (taper, turner, log lift etc) are moved the head creeps toward the front/operators station. It moves maybe 6" or so.The hydraulic fluid level is where it should be and I have changed the filter. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

YellowHammer

I don't have a timber harvester but assume the head motor is hydraulic?

Many times this could indicate a loose hydraulic fitting (look for drips) in the return side of the head pump plumbing allowing flow, or a worn oring or seal on the valve body itself allowing flow, or a sticky valve allowing flow.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

rusticretreater

We need a hydraulic diagram to diagnose remotely.  Trace the line where the fluid needs to go to make the carriage move the direction it takes.  Follow that line back to the lever manifold.  That will take you right to the problem area.  Somehow, pressurized fluid gets in this line when other levers are moved.  Likely the carriage control manifold needs to be replaced.

Does the carriage move only when you extend a cylinder, when you retract or both?  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

fluidpowerpro

I would make sure the spool controlling the head is centering properly. There is likely a spring on the end of the spool. Make sure its not loose.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!