iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what to charge for custom sawing

Started by Luckyfarmer, October 08, 2009, 10:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luckyfarmer

I bought my grandson a LT28 wood-mizer, to be delivered next week.  H already has 3 jobs to custom saw.  What would be a fair price for both  by the hour or board feet and what price

Papa1stuff

Has he ever milled before?
You can call around to the local mills in your area and see what they charge.
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

beenthere

Luckyfarmer
Is this to go with your TimberKing you were getting a few years ago?

And did you ever log that cottonwood on the Island? 

Haven't been keeping up with what you've been up to, but sounds like your grandson is getting set to do some milling. How did he come about being interested in sawing logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SamB

Luckyfarmer, I'd say you and your grandson are both lucky, you for having a grandson that would want a sawmill and him for having a grandpa that would buy him one. My grandsons are more interested in football and girls, but I'm hoping one day their interests will change [just a little].
Where I'm located and if it were my grandson just learning to saw, I'd start out just sawing by the bdft to be fair 25 to 30 cents per bdft. After he establishes some bench marks for productivity as it pertains to log size and customers wants he'll know what he needs to charge to cover expenses and hopefully make some money. I 'm sure others will have different opinions, but that's mine. Hope you both have an enjoyable time working the mill!  :)

Thank You Sponsors!