iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boiled Peanuts

Started by StimW, November 08, 2014, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 18, 2016, 08:17:23 PM
I have never tried the canned boiled peanuts, so I do not know if/how they compare with the "real  thing".

They're not to bad....but there is a difference.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

I think I was 18 the first time I had boiled peanuts. My thought upon hearing about them for the first time (twas at the Sunbelt Ag Expo in southern Georgia, fall of '96) was-- that's a novel idea, but why in the world would anybody want to do such a thing to peanuts when they're perfectly good the normal way (roasted). I reminded myself I was in Georgia, and figured peanuts probably are to Georgia what blueberries, cranberries, and potatoes are to Maine, so I figured just like people in The County in northern Maine go crazy with potato stuff, probably the jimmy carter types carried on for Mr. Peanut the same way-- meaning, they would go to great lengths to try to come up with every single cotton-picking way that somebody could possibly do up peanuts for consumption. So I figured that boiled peanuts thing must me some current local fad at the time, a novelty item they were peddling out to the crowd as "the thing for '96 among the peanut promoting folks."

:o  :o  :o

I was wrong. It was nearly as ancient and established a "thing" as Mud Season in Maine.

So. I figured. Fine. I'll bite. I'll take the bait. I'll be the perfect consumer. I'll go me over there and try me some of them there red-neck cotton-pickin' specialty fluke tourist-trappin gimmick-gotcha foolish-fad "boy-el'd peanuts."  ;D  :D

So I got me a bag. It was rather mushy.

I didn't like them.

Another day, somebody told me I should of taken them out of the shells.  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Sometimes I think that you ain't right.  The rest of the time.....I know it.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on August 18, 2016, 09:32:43 PM
Sometimes I think that you ain't right.  The rest of the time.....I know it.   :D

I been told it's a Davis thing. . . .  but then. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Hey-- grits are great, and okra's spectacular-- 2 out of 3 ain't bad for not having cut my teeth on this stuff.  ;D

starmac

I have to say I loves me some peanuts, valencia, salted and roasted, or raw. I tried boiled peanuts in Georgia, I guess I should say I tried a boiled peanut and spit it right back out.

I used to haul 48,000 pounds of real eatin peanuts to georgia every week, so undoubtedly I was not the only one that didn't go for boiled nuts. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: starmac on August 18, 2016, 11:43:43 PM
I have to say I loves me some peanuts, valencia, salted and roasted, or raw. I tried boiled peanuts in Georgia, I guess I should say I tried a boiled peanut and spit it right back out.

I used to haul 48,000 pounds of real eatin peanuts to georgia every week, so undoubtedly I was not the only one that didn't go for boiled nuts. lol

--- yeah, what he said.

Mooseherder

21incher

Found some in the can at Walmart this morning. Going to be my afternoon snack today.

digin_2
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

I find that the ones in the can are not very good compared to freshly boiled green peanuts.  If you like those, you will love the fresh ones.  If you don't like them, you still need to try the fresh ones before you pass judgement. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

I will have to check in Wal Mart the next time I am there and see if our store sells them. They aren't as good as fresh but better than nothing.

Sort of like comparing Sabra hummus with the real stuff made in the local souks in the Mideast (which kind of reminds me of spiced up boiled peanuts now that I think about it. And fresh dates reminds me of wild persimmons).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

Opened the can and they didn't look to bad. Tried one cold and survived.

Put them in a pot and heated for a couple of minutes untill they were just about to boil.

Drained them and proceeded to eat about 1/2 the can. They were not to bad. They did have that canned taste and were quite salty. The flavor and texture of them is quite similar to the edamame beans that we used to grow, boil, & suck from the shell. Once I started peeling the membrane off the nut they were less salty. I think I would really like the fresh ones. whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Okrafarmer

Hmm, looks like you took them out of the shells. . . .  :-\

21incher

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 22, 2016, 09:09:34 PM
Hmm, looks like you took them out of the shells. . . .  :-\
I have my limits.  ;D ;D

WV Sawmiller

I have a batch cooking thanks to WDH, my new best friend, who sent me a big bag that arrived a few hours ago. They need about 15 more minutes cooking then cool down in the salt water to add to the flavor. I had to cook the quick or my wife was going to finish eating the raw. She's at a quilting meeting and they will done by the time she gets home. I chose to cook them outside on the porch using my outdoor fish cooker to keep the house cooler. Also it cooks a lot faster.

I went fishing today and caught plenty of bait for some catfish lines I may put out tomorrow. I know what I will be munching on while fishing (Note to self- remember to wash hands well between baiting with gooey nightcrawlers and snacking on boiled peanuts).

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Okrafarmer

Or just use the bo'led peanuts for bait.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 23, 2016, 10:00:54 PM

Would probably work. My granddaddy used to use shrimp for catfish bait and he discovered they'd bite the boiled ones just as good as the raw ones so he'd sit there on the banks or in the boat on the Suannee River. If the fish were biting he stayed busy baiting hooks and taking fish off. If they weren't biting he'd eat up his bait and go home.
Howard Green

Mooseherder

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Mooseherder on August 24, 2016, 09:08:38 AM
Peanut harvest must be right around the corner.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68667.0/all.html

Actually, I find shrimp works great for bait. Just buy a bag of the cheap shrimp at W@llm&r+ (or other retailer) and have at it. Problem is, I forgot and left my bait in the car a few days. Something smelled almost as bad as a goat when I opened the door.  >:(

Okrafarmer

OOPS, I meant to quote this instead:

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 24, 2016, 08:36:00 AM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 23, 2016, 10:00:54 PM

Would probably work. My granddaddy used to use shrimp for catfish bait and he discovered they'd bite the boiled ones just as good as the raw ones so he'd sit there on the banks or in the boat on the Suannee River. If the fish were biting he stayed busy baiting hooks and taking fish off. If they weren't biting he'd eat up his bait and go home.

Actually, I find shrimp works great for bait. Just buy a bag of the cheap shrimp at W@llm&r+ (or other retailer) and have at it. Problem is, I forgot and left my bait in the car a few days. Something smelled almost as bad as a goat when I opened the door.  >:(

shop guy

Good boiled pnuts take forever to cook.... salt the hell out of the brine.

I use bonnets for my Cajun kick along with old bay.

*DanG good!!!
2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: shop guy on November 13, 2016, 01:01:38 AM
Good boiled pnuts take forever to cook.... salt the hell out of the brine.

I use bonnets for my Cajun kick along with old bay.

*DanG good!!!

SG,

I don't think my last batch took but about 90 minutes using my fish cooker. To get more salt flavor I think the ticket is to let them soak longer after they cook. I took mine up pretty quick as I am not as big a fan of the high salt flavor like some prefer. To each his own - its just important we all recognize they are good eating.

I understand anyone may not like the same things I do - my only heartburn is with people who adamantly despise certain foods then readily admit they have never tried them and insist they never will. I guess some of my favorite people as a group are Cajuns as it is well known they will try anything. :D :D :D
Howard Green

WDH

I boil mine on a very low boil for 5 hours. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WDH on November 13, 2016, 08:24:17 PM
I boil mine on a very low boil for 5 hours. 

I'm not sure you could overboil them if you don't run them dry. I just followed the directions on the bag you sent me and they were perfect. They did mention to leave them soak longer if you wanted more salt but their instruction were spot on.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!