iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT15 Idle side rail scraped by idle side vertical mast

Started by Hunter1000, March 22, 2016, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter1000

New to sawing and to this forum - so thanks for patience in advance for newbe questions!

Purchased a new Woodmizer LT15 a few weeks ago.  Set it all up, sawing some siding from pine my first weekend and lumber was good dimensionally (nice and square vertical and horizontal cuts) which I assume means saw is all tuned up properly. 

However I noticed that the idle side rail was scratched by the idle side saw head mast ("floating" side obviously not floating) along the entire length of the rail. 

I assume this is not supposed to happen.  What have I done wrong here in setup or tuning?  Woodmizer guys (very helpful group by the way) say it's normal.  But I'm thinking that's probably not right.  Thoughts? 

Thanks much,

2016 Woodmizer LT15 19HP gas, WM 10deg blades
High Point NC (USA)

Jemclimber

It's normal.  The lt15 isn't a true cantilever and the idle side rail carries weight.  This weight on the bearing takes the paint away.  Just make sure your pads on either side are lubricated, and cleaning the rail as it runs back and forth.   I've smashed the felt pads with the clamp handles a few times and made an open box that holds atf saturated scotchbrite with a wooden block on top to keep the rails clean.

Welcome to the FF and show us some pics of what you're cutting. 
lt15

Hunter1000

elk42

Hunter and Jim   
  This is what I did to clean and lub. the rail.  It is 1/8x2" alum. w/felt material   and   lub. W/ ATF.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Hunter1000

rjwoelk

That is way better than the wm original set up, I will make that. Thanks
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Jemclimber

I'll try to get a pic this weekend. Mine is similar to elk42 but my holder lays flat instead of upright.  With a block of wood on top it adds a slight amount of "scrub".
lt15

Ga Mtn Man

What is on the end of the mast that makes the scraped path down the rail?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Hunter1000

GMM - from outside looks like it floats there so nothing. Could not figure out why scraping. But learned that there is a bearing under there that holds the weight and WM and other LT15 pro's on this site saying the wear/scratching is normal and removes the paint.  But seems a little strange but no complaints - having an absolute blast with this thing and the support from WM has been over the top great.  So glad did not go with the cheaper brands. 

stanwelch

Elk42 and Jemclimber. Thanks for the LT15 mod ideas and pictures. I'll be modifying my LT15 soon 👍  Will be watching for pictures from Jemclimber.
Elk42 - do you have a vertical adjustment slot in the aluminum or is it not necessary?
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Hunter1000, and congrats on the new sawmill.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hunter1000

Thanks MagicMan.  Have been reading in the forum for a few weeks now before joining and see you are a high value contributor with a lot of care taken in your replies and comments.  Very cool that you so freely share your expertise.  Thx much

sparks

Make sure the bearing is in the mast is tracking straight. If the bearing is cocked a bit it will walk the head toward the edge and starts scraping the paint off the rounded edge of the frame.

We went away from the wiper pads glued to an L bracket this is what we use now. Lot better system. Hunter1000 you should already have these on your mill.    Thanks all.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Hunter1000

Sparks - that sounds like exactly what is happening to my LT15.  idle side mast kind of shakes as it is advanced like it is catching somehow.  Does not appear to affect the cut, but does kind of shake the idle side mast and has stripped the paint. 

Sparks - how to adjust to get a smoother run?  In your experience normal for paint to be stripped?

Thanks much everyone - very helpful. 

elk42

Hunter1000
I made another set today for a friend.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Hunter1000

wesdor

Welcome to the Forum Hunter.  I have an LT15 and have observed the paint problem you describe.  It doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.  However, in three years of use, the right side of the mast has dropped a total of about 1/8 inch.  There is a bolt to adjust on the other side of the mill.  Not sure why mine has dropped, but adjustment is easy.

Hunter1000

thecfarm

Hunter1000,welcome to the forum. You will enjoy having a mill.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hunter1000

Thanks thecfarm. Already out there all day moth days over weekend. Covered in sawdust, exhausted. Wife and kids think crazy. Can't say enough nice things about Woodmizer too, the company, support, product, everything. And this forum is over the top helpful too. Thanks all.

Will look for other thread but wondering what accessories do the pros consider must have's.  Can't wait to research that in this forum.

thecfarm

Start researching Logrite,sponsor on the left.   ;D  You will need a cantdog or a peavey. Peavey has a point.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!