iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Stain

Started by Horselog, March 26, 2016, 05:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

Does anyone have ideas for dealing with and/or preventing lumber stain in the summer?  Aside from just moving the lumber quickly.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

scsmith42

Depends upon the species, but the basics are:

1 - mill as soon as possible after felling
2 - use dry stickers
3 - dry under cover so that the stickers don't get rained on.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YoungStump

Moving it quick is generally the best option, you can put it on stickers if you have to but then you are limited where you can sell it, as many companies won't buy anything that has been on sticks.
There are sprays available that will help buy some time but in warm weather it still needs to move quick and some companies don't want the spray on some species such as hard maple.
Sawing grade in the summer can be a real challenge especially for lower production sawmills, if companies get a load of maple in on a Monday in hot weather they will reject it because they know it was sawed the week before. And they generally want the lumber delivered by Thursday so they can get it stickered before the weekend.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Horselog

I should have mentioned that the situation is that I'm looking at sawing and selling green lumber wholesale. I will not be drying.

What is the name and/or makeup of the spray that slows down sap stain?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

tmbrcruiser

To deal with stain from warm weather here we water our Loblolly pine, most mills set up a water yard for summer logs. This would be a lot of work for a few logs but dropping them in a pond should work too.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Ron Wenrich

We used Sta Brite P.  It comes dry, and you mix it with water and apply it with garden sprayer.  Wet a layer, then put the next layer on.  It will keep the blue stain away for a couple of weeks.  Rather expensive, but a little goes a long way.  We bought ours from a sawmill supply shop. 

You also have to check with your buyer.  Some buyers don't want any spray on certain species, as it interferes with other stains further in the mfg process. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scsmith42

Another product is Premier Fungicide sold by ISK Biocides.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!