iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me blade sharpener & setter

Started by Mt406, December 29, 2016, 12:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

I picked up this Moons ASM1 a few months ago and just parked it in my saw trailer.
Seeing how I will be out of sharp blades by spring I figured I better learn how to use it.
I ordered the manual and a dvd I have been threw them once still a little cloudy on how to use.
I got around 50 blades with it so I have some thing to practice  on.
My question is have any of you used this sharpener any pros cons  what to watch out for.

Thanks
Scott 

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/33427/IMAG0607.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1482987240
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/33427/IMAG0608.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1482987240
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/33427/IMAG0609.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1482987247

Mt406

ozarkgem

I have one just like it. Will give mine a try here pretty quick. This is the second one I have had. The setter part is kick butt for speed. the video was pretty much worthless. I don't think the guy in the video ever sharpened a blade with one. The one I have now is the same thing just a different sticker on it. It has a book with it so maybe it will be a little  more clear. If I get if figured out I will do a video. These will also sharpen circle blades. One of the nice things about these is you don't have to buy a cam for each kind of blade. I have a lot of 3/4 pitch blades I need to sharpen.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Mt406

I agree with you on the DVD not much info on it for 29$.
Do you think you could run a CBN wheel on it  they are 5 in and the factory stone is 6 in.
I may give WM a call and see what they think.
I have some time its runs on 220 power I have to get that run but if I don't plan ahead it wont happen

Thanks

ozarkgem

Not sure if the CBN wheels need to run in oil or not. Would be slick if they would work. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Mt406

Update  I talked to WM about there CBN wheels they had no idea if it would work on this Moon ASM1.
So I called Moons And talked to I think the owner he said they had built some CBN wheels but chose not to go that way because
to many different tooth profiles.
He said he could have one custom made if I had a pattern I liked. ($$$$$$$)
For now I am going with factory stone and learn how to dress it and use the unit.
Maybe down the road I will look into a CBN wheel for it.

Thanks Scott 

Bluejay27

I get some of my cbn wheels through Baltic Abrasives, and I know they'll do custom profiles, so they'd likely do custom diameters too. No idea on the added charge, but their wheels have worked as well as WM's for me; the biggest difference is the standard grit BA uses is a little coarser.

And cbn can be run without oil, but it won't last nearly as long and you have to take lighter grinds. But if you can fit a housing around the wheel to collect the oil spraying off, it can just drip into a large pan with a sump pump. 1/15hp is working well for me, the 1/200hp pump Wood-Mizer uses doesn't like cold oil.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Thank You Sponsors!