iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5 week cross country trip

Started by DbltreeBelgians, May 20, 2023, 05:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DbltreeBelgians

@barbender ,
We'll be passing through Minnesota on our return trip heading for Wolverine Michigan for Father's Day weekend to do a trail ride in honor of my son-in-law's dad who passed away a few months back at the young age of 53.

Brent 

barbender

Darn it, that is way too young😢

What route are you taking across Minnesota?
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

Well there is plenty of time for the next trip and so many places to go.   
Liking Walnut

firefighter ontheside

We were happy to get stamps in our passports.  We got Germany, Bosnia and Croatia.  There is the potential for us to cross into Slovenia.  I'm not any anymore worried about my safety in the Mediterranean than I am in St. Louis.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

I haven't crossed in many years, is a passport now required at the Canadian border?

I'm pretty much the same, respectful of everyone's sovereignty but I haven't lost anything outside our borders I need. BC is beautiful tho'.

I know its in my genes but bagpipes sound about like running a bandsaw through a duck  :D.

barbender

FFOT, saying you feel as safe in the Mediterranean as you would in St. Louis doesn't have a positive connotation for me😁

firefighter ontheside

I know Barbender.  I don't go down there a lot, but when I do I keep an eye out.  I feel safer here actually.

Yes a passport is required for Canada now.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Is it required to get into Canada or back into the States? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

Probably both SS.
Funny how perspective changes it. I remember how passports became a thing, right after 911. 
Overnight, one was needed to get into the US. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

In 2019 a Passport was not required to get into Canada but it was required to get back into the US.  Personal identification was required to get into Canada i.e. drivers license, etc. but of course the Passport served as that which is what we used.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on May 31, 2023, 12:33:42 PM
In 2019 a Passport was not required to get into Canada but it was required to get back into the US.  Personal identification was required to get into Canada i.e. drivers license, etc. but of course the Passport served as that which is what we used.
Back around 2015 we traveled to Utica, NY for my niece's wedding.  Since my sister lives in Branford, Ontario, Canada, we swung up there for a visit.  I remember reading somewhere (here?) that you don't need a passport to get into Canada, just to get back into the US.  So, the passports were packed in the trunk when we crossed over.  Stopped on the Canadian side, she asked for passports.  So I repeated the above.  She didn't like that.  Said something about Canada being a foreign country (not our most norther state ;)).  I hopped out, dug through the bags and handed them over.  On the way back the US CBP just glanced at them and sent us through.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Yup the mind set of the official always must be obeyed.  I finally learned after more than a dozen crossings to keep my mouth shut and only answer the questions as asked. 

The snottiest agent that we have ever incurred was on the US side at Port Huron, MI.  I think that he had just discharged from the Army as a Buck Sergeant.

The above was an exception because all of our other crossings have been pleasant and uneventful.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Back in the day I had a permit that allowed me to cross the border at any point, not just Customs, but anywhere either way, and I had a permit to carry a handgun in Quebec, all because of my job. The Canadian Customs officials were always nice, even had one take me out to dinner with his wife and niece he wanted to set me up with. The US officials on the other hand, that was a different story some times. 

That issue was resolved one time when a power hungry officer went a bit too far and the port commander came out to see what was going on. When he realized we were the guys they call for help "Mr "Overcompensating" got a talking to. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

We travel across the border a fair bit, at least 10 to 12 times per year. It seems the most zealous border officials are the ones from your own country. Getting told that you have to "drive into garage number three due to a random search" is another way of saying that an hour of your life just evaporated. 
Resist the urge to question or talk back, because otherwise it'll turn into three hours of your life just evaporated. 🤦‍♂️
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: barbender on May 31, 2023, 06:56:45 AM
Darn it, that is way too young😢

What route are you taking across Minnesota?
Well I guess we're going to Fargo on 94 then something like Rt.75 to Rt.2 to Duluth according to my copilot and navigator. Then across Wisconsin to the U.P.
To be honest that's subject to change. I'm thinking of having a decal made for the back of the toy hauler that reads 
"No Agenda"  That way if I happen to veer of course "it ain't no big thang"
As long as we're in Wolverine Michigan by Wednesday or Thursday before Father's Day.

Brent

chet

As there are only 2 routes across the UP there is a 50/50 chance yer driving past my place.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

DbltreeBelgians

Got to Moab Monday evening and got set up. Didn't do much on Tuesday. Stayed in the trailer quite a bit because the mosquitoes are ferocious here. Now I know this area had dinosaurs roaming all around but I think some made through the ice age as these mosquitoes are the size of a pterodactyl and they show no mercy. Really surprised me to see them so bad here but they did have a wet winter and spring.
So I decided to plan a trail ride for Wednesday. Destination Hurrah pass and Chicken Corners via Kane creek road.

Something about a hanging rubber chicken makes ya wonder what you're in for.
We'll let's say I could've been hanging on that sign post too. Jill wasn't impressed with my driving skills. 

I thought my skills were fine. Hey I got it stopped.

Jill didn't see the humor and her and Duke walked until the view changed in her favor. The video on the GoPro will have to be edited after some of the things she called me.
On the return from Chicken Corners we came across a really cool memorial from way back in time.

This was a really nice memorial. There was live ammunition, coins, an old saddle and lariat. He died way to young but I don't know the circumstances.

Duke was having a blast but boy was he a filthy mess from the dust after swimming when we got back to camp. He got the garden hose treatment and he crashed all night long.
Looks like rain and possible thunderstorms today so I think we'll find something else to do today. I'm not keen on getting caught in a slot canyon or dry wash turned raging river. 

Brent

Old Greenhorn

Joseph Johnson was apparently and interesting fella.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/35095944/joseph-hills-johnson

Got this from a quick search:
"Joseph Hills Johnson was the 12th of the 14 children born to Joseph Horace and Julia Hills Eagar Johnson. He was born in Moab, Utah, December 2, 1895. He married Ruth Westwood December 31, 1916. They were the parents of six children. He was the sheriff in Moab. Joseph Hills Johnson died December 30, 1927, when his horse fell after stumbling into a hole near the Colorado River. His last child, Loren, was born a few months after his death."

He is buried in Grand Valley Cemetery in Moab.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

DbltreeBelgians

We'll that answers that. I figured he had a shoot 'em out with some cattle rustlers or something of that nature.
Thank you for the info Tom 

Brent 

Magicman

barbender

I would be very surprised to have mosquitoes attacking me out in that country. I plan on it in forested areas, kinda think I'm going to get a pass in dry country. 

DbltreeBelgians

I had to do a double take Lynn. I thought maybe you had video of Howard up behind the house going after another log.  ;D  Just messin with ya Howard.
And as for the mosquitoes I'm tellin ya they be bad nasty. Open the door to the RV and there's a whole platoon waiting to attack. This only seems to be in low areas. Get up on a plateau or away from water and no Skeeter's but the dog pecker gnats are just about as bad.

Brent

Walnut Beast

Great pictures. Glad your having a great trip! 

DbltreeBelgians

Got to meet Rory Irish and his crew Mike and Shawn from Trail Mater off-road recovery. These guys were as genuine as they come. Just regular Joe's that happen to have a great YouTube channel. Took time out of their busy day to talk with us. Couldn't be more pleased.

On Friday we hit Hells Revenge, Porcupine Rim 4x4 trail and Fins & Things trail. Did see a brand new 4 seat Can Am Maverick rolled over on its side. I got out to check on any possible injuries but the only thing hurt was mainly the guys pride. They flipped it back on its wheels and I left.

Ouch!!
Had a good ride and we were pretty much tuckered out when we got back to camp.

Today I decided to hit the Kane Creek 4x4 trail. Had no idea what lay ahead of us. Met a group of 3 machines a few miles in and stopped to chat. One of them asked Jill if we had ever been on this trail and she said NO!! They said you don't know about "Hamburger Hill"? Oh the look on her face!
On down the trail we stopped in the creek under an undercut formation to cool off and let Duke swim a bit.

The group of 3 came past us and they picked up another couple in a little Can Am. We all met up at the base of Hamburger Hill. Well this got interesting real fast. By the time it was over Jill and Duke along with another lady and a group of 6 kids walked about a mile to a swimming hole while I crawled and scratched my way up then winched 2 other machines up the boulder strewn trail. By the time we all made it to the swimming hole one Polaris RZR had broke both left side axle shafts and in the end broke a third one and I had to pull him to the end of the trail. Finesse on the skinny pedal wasn't in his manner.

We finally made it back to highway 191 and a half a mile down the road I blew a drive belt that I had smoked trying to pull the broken RZR. Made it into a rest area and changed out the belt. Only lost a few cogs but it sure made a racket when let go.

We're done riding in Moab and will spend Sunday cleaning things up and packing up and be ready to head to Idaho Monday morning.
Sorry for the long post but I was a bit behind on updates on our trip.

Brent

Machinebuilder

Great report Brent
I'm glad to see you're better at writing than I am :D
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Thank You Sponsors!