iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nikasiled jugs

Started by olyman, March 17, 2007, 03:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olyman

whos the person that rode race bikes--and said that he had his bike jugs nikasiled by a company--and said he would get back to us on this forum??????????? thanks--oly

SawTroll

I have no idea, but I believe the first saw model to have Nikasil coated cylinders was theĀ  Jreds Raket 621............

Anyway, that model was far ahead of the competition, when introduced in 1970.

8) 8)
Information collector.

ehp

Oly. there are lots of companies that do this but the one I deal with will not do a jug unless it has a separate head on it

Jeff

I just searched the entire forum for the word "nikasiled" and the only place it appears is in this thread. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Jeff, nickasil is a very hard nickel/silica material used to coat cylinder walls among other things. It will not peel like chrome.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

He knows what it is, it has just never been mention on this forum.  The memory must be coming from somewhere else.

ehp

It is used in most snowmobile motors and bikes cause it is better for getting rid of heat and allows a tighter bore clearance than a sleeve so thats nice on high rpm motors as well the problem is most people that do the plating willnot do a stock chainsaw jug cause it has the head as part of the jug and is hard to get the plating correct up on top of the jug where the head starts for the rings to run on so most like the jug to have a seperate head on it, nikasil is alot harder than chrome that chainsaws use and will with stand blow ups alot better but will flake when porting cause it is so hard it breaks off in chunks so take your time when grinding

olyman

it was mentioned on another forum--u s chrome in fond-u-lac,wi---they got back about it---thanks---about 180.00 per cyl!!!!!!!!!

jokers

Quote from: olyman on March 19, 2007, 07:04:22 PM
it was mentioned on another forum--u s chrome in fond-u-lac,wi---they got back about it---thanks---about 180.00 per cyl!!!!!!!!!
I don`t know about the $180/cylinder figure, I personally got a quote from US Chrome and it was more like $280 back to me plus shipping there. It was far cheaper to buy the OEM top end KIT which included a new piston, rings, pin and bearing.

olyman

jokers--i wonder if different jugs--and configurations ---have diff prices????????? just question---like one said--i hope thats nik price--not chrome---

jokers

Yes, it was for nikasil and the cylinder wasn`t even that large, I think it was around a 67cc engine so the bore was probably around 50-52mm?? I know that Ken Dunn mentioned using US Chrome for a very interesting couple of saws that he built for some fallers from Idaho. I believe that he said that he had bored 372s to accept the 385 piston and the product was a huge success. Price may not have been a limiting factor in this case. I have found Ken to be an honest man of his word, unless it`s really Dennis Cahoon masquerading as Ken which he has done on several occassions in the past, then you never know what "Ken" may say. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!