iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeans Manufacturer in Connecticut

Started by Tam-i-am, June 01, 2015, 06:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Last week we met Marshall Deming, co-owner of the Hartford Jean Co. and then paid his factory a little visit.  The are located in the basement of an old factory building in Hartford.  Their factory is full of antique sewing machines.  Every pair of jeans is made by hand.  The rivets are hand set too.

Their jeans also come with a lifetime repair policy.  They also make bags and different style aprons.  Currently, they are making carpenter aprons for Nick Offerman of Offerman Wood Shop. (also of Parks and Rec)

It is so exciting to see people excited and proud of what they do and of course to do it here in the USA and Connecticut none-the-less.
They use this  tag line "Our jeans are built to last." and that seems to sound so familiar.   ;D ;D

I found this video so you can check out their factory.  I'm pretty sure they must have moved because the basement they are in now is pretty dark in comparison to the shop in the video.

https://youtu.be/eTmBEReccWE
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

JohnM

That's really weird, Tammy, I was just thinking today that I need some new clothes and I'd like to start getting USA made stuff.  The clothes I need are mostly for work (carpentry, sawing, etc) so I went and checked out their website...those are NOT work clothes! :o ;D :D  $235 a pop!  Awesome that they are doing it though and would that I could afford them but not today. :( 
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Tam-i-am

I didn't say anyone should buy them I said it was exciting to see someone excited and proud of what they do.  The employees working on antique sewing machines, hand marking and stitch was amazing to see.

The jeans are rugged looking.  They felt different than the jeans you buy at the store.  And they have reinforced fronts like Arborwear does.  Also they come with a lifetime guarantee, they will repair or replace them for life!!!!! (all you have to do is stay the same size forever and one pair of jeans will last you a lifetime ;)) 

At the show they had a pair of jeans that was reinforced with leather.  Not just the front around the knee but the back of the front pocket too.  I can't imagine they would ever wear out.

He told me that the jeans you send back they sell to some Asian country which is how they can make the lifetime guarantee work.

It is like buying a good pair of boots.  I once heard the WESCO boot guy tell a customer "our boot is $400 but it will last 4 years while the other brand is $100 but will only last a year"

luvmexfood

John. Check out Pointer Brand jeans made in Bristol, TN. About a 100 year old company. Never wore their jeans but love their bibs.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

justallan1

Neat video and great to see folks trying.
If they were about half that price I might try out a pair with that guarantee, but that's a lot of money for me to put out on something that I may or may not like how they fit or I just didn't like. If they made shirts I'd look a little closer.
My problem would be that if they needed replaced they would sit with a camera, 2 Gerbers, a Leatherman and whatever else is in the pile waiting to get sent back. :D

Magicman

Quote from: Tamiam on June 02, 2015, 06:49:49 AM
I didn't say anyone should buy them I said it was exciting to see someone excited and proud of what they do.
No, but I still had to look.  I removed them from my shopping cart because they did not offer a 33" waist.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tam-i-am

I didn't buy them either mostly because my size changes.  Just liked the concept.  Little proud business with antique machines in basement of run-downed abandoned factory building.  I was on the phone with Jeff while we were looking for his place and I commented "we are not in a good part of town, looks like Detroit".  Thought it was interesting to see someone try to make a go of it and revitalize the factory buildings in Hartford.

They are branching out into other things.  They had canvas and leather bags, bib and carpenter aprons. They had a canvas raincoat that hasn't been tested yet. They even made their own shoes.  They had a bunch of hats that looked like conductor hats.

brendonv

Awesome

Im not into jeans but would surely give their shop apron a try. I dont mind paying for quality.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Bruno of NH

I think im going to try one of the shop aprons they look good .
If it lasts that's not a bad price .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!