iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Memorial Day wishes

Started by sparks, May 27, 2005, 08:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

I want to wish everyone a safe Memorial day weekend. Keep all our service men in your prayers and if you see a veteran, thank them for what the've done to keep us free. Those of us who have served (NAVY) always appreciate it. God Bless.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Kirk_Allen

Thanks Sparks and back at you! (Air Force)

DanG

Thanks for posting this, and for serving our country. (Army)

Any Jarheads out there? :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DR_Buck

Thanks to all who serve or served.

GO NAVY

Navy / Navy Reserve  Retired (25 years)
Daughter - Navy 1991-92
Son  - Navy, currently Nuc sub driver
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ARKANSAWYER

Back in the mid 80's (I believe for Veterns Day) I heard President Reagan talk about the lives these men and women in uniform gave for their contry.  But it was two lives that were given,  The one that they have lived up to that point and what they would have lived had they not given their life for their country.  The lives they would have brought into this world as Fathers and Mothers and the lives they would have influnced as Uncles, Aunts, brother, sister, Grand Mother and Grand Fathers.  
 Take time out from the lake and cook outs this weekend and go to any cemetery and look for a small flag.  Read the stone and know the name of one who gave all or atleast offered it.  I can go and look upon GrandPa's, Great Uncle Williams, and Great Grand Pa Hines who fought in the War Between the States and know I came from a long line of Men.  Honor is due and should be given for no greater gift can be given.

SGT U.S. ARMY
ARKANSAWYER

Doc

I will be listening to war stories from WWII this weekend at my grandfathers, and soaking up all of them. I have heard them all before, but he likes telling them, and I get a kick out of his enthusiasm in the tellin'. My girlfriend works in an assisted living facility, and you can bet I will be over there as well. I have considered taking a tape recorder withme so I can try to get some of these stories on tape.....from the widows, and the old soldiers.

To those who have served or had family serve I thank you! You do your family, and your country proud both in service and in retirement!

Doc

tnlogger

Thanks Sparks for brimg this up. heres to all our veterans and those that are far for home serving at this time. Thanks
   (airforce 1969-1973)
gene

Haytrader

United States Army
Republic of Viet Nam 69-70

All gave some
Some gave all

Thanks to all that serve
Haytrader

Roxie

Enjoy your Memorial Day, and remember those that have fallen.  
Widow of a Jarhead (And don't you guys get sad on me here, that Jarhead wouldn't have had it any other way!)   :)

In Memory ~   Charles E. Anderson
                    Staff Sargeant E6 Combat Engineer
                    USMC

I sure do miss ya buddy
Say when

beenthere

I just read where we are losing WWII vets at the rate of about 1500 per day, as age is not on their side.

All the more reason to go to a Veterans service on Monday and shake a few hands before those few left are gone, as well as those who served after WWII.

When I attended the Oshkosh air show the last time, and stood by the planes that flew in WWII, old pilots and ground crews would come by and be telling stories of when they were in and around those planes. I thought then, it won't be long that all that is left will be the planes, and our memories that have been passed down, for us to pass down.

I have great respect for those who have served their country for us all. They have much to be proud of. I fell through the cracks as either too young or too old (seems like it has always been like that, even when getting my drivers license - once I was too young, and now comes the time when I possibly will be 'too old').  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

My Dad was Army, Omaha Beach, D-Day. I was Air Force, '69 - '73.  He told me once he was happy I didn't have to live through what he did. I miss him.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Norm

Thank you to all of the present and former veterans. You will certainly be remembered this weekend. :)

Makes me proud to be the father of an Air Force Lieutenant. Thank you Joel. :)

Buzz-sawyer

Haytrader
Thought about ya when Kirk and I fired my SKS the other day ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

karl

1970- Scared 18 year old signing up for the draft.

Scared because I had seen my best friends BIL buried with military honor,
because I had seen another friends brother duck and cover at every loud noise, break into a sweat at the sound of a chopper, and sleep on the floor for a month before he could sleep in bed.
because I had watched TV- news, protests, saw that returning vets were seen as the enemy.
because I was a kid.
because I couldn't understand why we were there.

My History studies had included previous wars and "Conflicts"(??? )and their reasons- didn't mean much at the time.

My "Grampa" had often told of what he saw and did in WW1 and how he was treated with Honor and was proud to have served but how he didn't want anyone else to have to do it.

Uncle Bob was shot down in WW2 and held as a POW- he didn't like to talk about it- but it was easy to see the price he paid.

I was lucky- my lottery # was 362- meaning the VC would be coming up my driveway by the time I was drafted.
I remember feeling an incredible relief, but nothing like the understanding of how lucky I had been as my friends and future freinds came home. Some were dead, some were wounded, some were walking dead.

As I get older and see more and more of the suffering of Vets and their families that can be traced back to their experiences in the military the more I am thankful for what they gave up for my freedom and that of my family.

There are very few charities that I contribute to, but I always donate to help a Veteran and feel like it is only interest on my debt.

I don't need to agree with the reason "we" are fighting someplace to be thankful for the men and women doing the dirty work. Just knowing that they are ready to protect my sorry ass is enough.

Bless them all, past and present and future.

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

ohsoloco

Thank you all  :)   I have a couple great uncles that served in WWII, and one of my brothers served in Operation Desert Storm back in the nineties.  Wish I could thank him, but we lost him a little over a year ago at the age of 33.  I miss you Joe  :'(

Haytrader

::)

Buzz,  TY
Since ya mentioned the SKS.....think I will pull mine out and just let  a round or two go just for the hell of it.

:)
Haytrader

gary

Have a safe and happy weekend . Don't forget to thank a vet for your freedom . Not just this weekend but anytime you see one.

Fla._Deadheader

Anybody see "The Tunnels of Cu Chi" on History Channel??  Spent 1 year there. 25th Inf.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pigman

Haytrader's picture looks so normal. The yellow smoke, the O D green towel around his neck. Looked like a typical grunt to me. He must have  been waiting for DanG and his chopper. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ARKANSAWYER

It is the sound of an AK-47 that gets me.  I can hear a chopper and tell which one it is and if it is loaded or heading into the wind.   My Father-in-Law was a chopper pilot in "Nam.  He was a crew chief and the pilot was killed and the co-pilot was wounded so Earl brought it in.  He flew several more missions before they realized he was just an E-6.   Put some 2nd Leuy bars on him and he finished his second tour.  It was some time after he was back in the states and in chopper school when they realized that he dropped out of school in the 6th grade to train and ride race hourses.   Gave him a GED and some college and he retired after 20 years as a Major.  Not bad for a poor cotton picker from eastern Arkansas.  Men like him make me proud to be a Vet.
ARKANSAWYER

Haytrader

::)
pigman,

You are a smart man for a pig farmer........ ;)
Was on a recon off of Newie Ba Ra  (sp) in our "lights" and was in fact, waiting on a bird for a ride back to the top. May have got a lift from DanG at one time or another. Got many a pic from a chopper and my boots are in the pics. Last one in, first one out... ;)

Arkansawyer,

Taint always the "book smart" that know the most. Seen many a "shake and bake" 1st and 2nd lewees that was plum dangerous to have around. And on the other hand, an E-3 or 4 that had been in country for 8 to 10 months that knew way more and you could count on em when ya needed to.  Bet yer FIL could tell us a few stories. I watched those boys at the controls of the Hueys lots of times pull that colective and was just sure I could do it. I know they put us in some places that weren't big enough according to the manual. DanG, you wouldn't have done that, would you?
Haytrader

Tom_Averwater

We just buried a home town boy yesterday, Lance Corporal Nick Erdy from Owensville , Ohio. That was the biggest funeral pocession I have ever seen. He was killed in Iraq.  My dad was in WWll but he never talks about it .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

DanG

Yella smoke!  Haytrader, there's a little part of me that would like to come in and stir that up for ya.  Manual? ???  We din't have no steenking manual.  I don't think I ever went in too tight putting folks in, but I'll admit to trimming a few branches pulling them out.  Most all our slicks had grooves in the blades from limb strikes, some of them 2 and 3 feet in from the tips. :o  The big thing to worry about was the tail rotor.  Couldn't be dipping that into the leaves AT ALL!  We relied heavily on our "back-seaters" to guide us in. Those guys were the heart and soul of a chopper outfit.

As was already said, "All gave some, some gave all."  Roxie gave more than most.  Thanks for being among us, Darlin'.  You're as much a vet as anyone here. ;) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Patty

I am so very grateful to you all. Thank you, and God Bless each and every one of you.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

twoodward15

Thank you and Thanksto all that have served and are serving now
                                                                       Tsgt USAF NJANG 9for a couple more months)
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!