iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pile of logs sitting for two years

Started by stickbilt, December 16, 2001, 10:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickbilt

I had a timber trespass on my woodlot. There are two piles of logs left behind that were cut in the summer of 2000. I estimate that there are about 70-80 logs roughly 10"-20" in diameter. Most if the logs are 16-20 feet long. The species range from white pine to fir and spruce to yellow birch and soft maple. Is there any value left in these logs? I was thinking about buying a middle-of-the-road bandmill (I have wanted one for the last 15 years) and sawing them into lumber for a camp on the property. Will the logs be too far gone by the spring from sitting out in the weather? I realize that the yellow birch will last but how about the softwoods?
I don't know what else to do with them short of burning or burying them. I had a guy come and look at them to see if he could chip them and he said he didn't want to run them through his chipper. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.                    Stickbilt,
p.s. my very first post

Kevin

Welcome sticky.
You might consider having them skidded out to be milled by a portable mill or buying an Alaskan mill if you have a large enough chainsaw and mill them there yourself on the spot.
I would cut the ends and see how much rot is present and if they looked ok get them up off the ground on some poles to prevent any further rot.
I`m going after a large pine next weekend that I can`t move without heavy equipment so I`ll tackle it with the Alaskan  then finish milling it with my bandsaw after I get it home.

timberbeast

I'd mill them,  were it me.  You have lots of length to cut the ends off,  where most of the rot will be.  The pine will most likely be stained,  but that doesn't affect the strength.  Also depends where they are.  If they are on high ground or low ground,  etc.  Welcome,  and good luck!
Where the heck is my axe???

Tom

Stickbilt,

If money isn't a big problem then I think getting a mill of some sort is the way to go.  You can buy new from 4-40 thousand.
Getting a mill might be like having children.  If you wait till you can afford it or till you get all your ducks in a row, then you're too old.

Your comment (I have wanted one for the last 15 years) tells me that you are real close to being over the hump and just need a little push.

Make sure of what you would do with it to determine the size and GO FOR IT !

Oh yeah, welcome..................

but one post won't hack it.(sorry Jeff) you gotta update your profile real good and start getting trees.  :) :D

Ron Wenrich

If you're going to wait until spring, then there wouldn't be much point in getting them any further off the ground.  You won't get any rot this time of year, since it is too cold.

The logs that will be in the worst shape are those laying directly on the ground.  This will be especially true of the softwoods.  They will have rotted at least to the heartwood by this time.  The softwoods will probably be stained through the sapwood.

On the softwoods, you will find rot, and bluestain in the sapwood.  The bluestain is damaging as a cosmetic factor.  

I've cut some old pine logs.  It ain't pretty, but the wood should be functional.  

I sure hope you caught the trespasser and got paid for the damages.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

stickbilt

The logs are on high ground now. I have cut up some of the smaller stuff for cordwood and it's pretty solid. Staining in the wood won't be a problem for building a camp. I haven't gotten any compensation yet for the timber trespass but I'm working on it. These things take time, or so I am told. I am hoping to buy a mill with the compensation. I will probably put half down and finance half on a Wood-mizer. I have my eyes open for a 4x4 backhoe as well.
Thanks for the welcome, this place is awesome!

woodmills1

cut them up, i have.  pine gets blue stain after a week or so in the summer but it doesn't hurt its strength.  thousands of feet of no bark pine i have cut, with good results.  sometimes the middle is nice and yellow.  i cut some maple and birch over two years old and it makes nice paneling with a little spalt in it.  make sure the bark comes off white birch, it will rot.  i have cut some very old red oak and cherry.  the only problem is it is hard and dusty.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ron Wenrich

If you want a real treat, try sawing old hickory or black locust.  You can almost see the sparks as you saw into those.  

A real dusty favorite is old ash.  Sawdust off of the black locust will keep you hacking for several days.  Must be that natural creosote in the logs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!