iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buncha newbie questions

Started by UncleMoustache, November 21, 2020, 07:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleMoustache

Hey all,

So I've put about 5 hours on my new mill and have learned much just through the experience, not to mention what I've learned searching through the forum here and watching Youtube vids.

So here are my questions:

1.  What spare/extra parts should I have on hand all the time?  I have plenty of blades, but that's it.  What else is likely to be needed fairly often?

2.  Metal in a log.  I see that some of you use a detector, but if you detect some, what do you do?  Skip the log, or try and work around it or dig it out?  And how do you dig it out?  Is your detector good enough to pinpoint within an inch or so?

3.  Where do I learn about what logs are best for different kind of uses?  And what kinds of logs have different kinds of issues with milling (warp, twist, drying, hard on blades, etc)

3a.  One of my needs is for floor boards for a deck and tree house, and also boards for a wood fence.  I'm currently cutting 1x5's out of any spare parts of the log that aren't used for other purposes for these needs.  We have a LOT of ailanthus on the property, but I'm not sure if that's good for anything at all.  I haven't milled any of it (yet).  Any use for that stuff?

4.  Sawdust.  I saw a few threads on what to do with it.  What about using it on walking trails through the woods.  Think that would be a good use?

5.  Anybody sell firewood from the fall off?

Thanks!

Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

WV Sawmiller

Welcome. I see you posted your mill type and location which is an excellent start. I will copy and reply to your different points below.
Quote from: UncleMoustache on November 21, 2020, 07:52:00 PM
Hey all,

So I've put about 5 hours on my new mill and have learned much just through the experience, not to mention what I've learned searching through the forum here and watching Youtube vids.

So here are my questions:

1.  What spare/extra parts should I have on hand all the time?  I have plenty of blades, but that's it.  What else is likely to be needed fairly often? There are lots of threads listing spares and such and I do mobile sawing which might affect my list vs stationary sawyers but mine includes: LogRite and an El Cheapo cant hook (until Santa brings me a second LogRite) and since I am hydraulic my Magic Hook and chain to use it, spare belts including Drive, B-57s, & power feed, spare roller guide, tools including complete tool chest with every socket and end wrench, hex bits, screwdrivers, etc., blade tilt and belt tension tool that came with my mill from WM, shovel, short ax and wedges (In case I need to back out of a cut), leafblower, chainsaw, spare fuel for them and mill, chainsaw tools, old bumper jack, 4 way lug wrench, spare tire, spud bar, bark remover (4" wide scraper on 5' handle), 12" drywall knife, shop brushes, ATV in spray bottle, assorted short scrap boards to put under mill jacks/feet and some 3' 1X6's to drive the low side wheel up on to help level it side to side, fire extinguisher, cheap nylon tarp to cover equipment and tools and to catch sawdust if needed, spare tire, TP, cooler with water and drinks, user's manual and cell phone with various WM number, trash sacks, dishwasher detergent for lube tank, first aid kit, spare gloves, ear muffs, etc.

2.  Metal in a log.  I see that some of you use a detector, but if you detect some, what do you do?  Skip the log, or try and work around it or dig it out?  And how do you dig it out?  Is your detector good enough to pinpoint within an inch or so? I don't use one. That would make me liable. Metal is the customer responsibility and I have a blade fee he pays if I hit any. The obvious answer if you find it is remove it or cut off that part of the log. In some cases if you find an old fence in a log you can saw parallel to it and (maybe) miss any additional metal present. Some sawyers carry cordless drills and bits, nail pullers, pliers, etc.

3.  Where do I learn about what logs are best for different kind of uses?  And what kinds of logs have different kinds of issues with milling (warp, twist, drying, hard on blades, etc) Read the old threads here for that. You can google any type wood and find the characteristics as to durability, strength, etc but reading here will tell you about users experiences with common woods.

3a.  One of my needs is for floor boards for a deck and tree house, and also boards for a wood fence.  I'm currently cutting 1x5's out of any spare parts of the log that aren't used for other purposes for these needs.  We have a LOT of ailanthus on the property, but I'm not sure if that's good for anything at all.  I haven't milled any of it (yet).  Any use for that stuff? I have Ailanthus and don't know of any common use for it. It stinks and is not even good firewood. In the East I would suggest locust or white oak for durability and strength for floor board if exposed to the weather. Same for wood fence. I don't know Western species  for similar uses.

4.  Sawdust.  I saw a few threads on what to do with it.  What about using it on walking trails through the woods.  Think that would be a good use?
It is comfortable but holds water like a sponge. Green sawdust will kill nearby trees and plants so be careful about that if an issue. Find a local Hippy commune and develop a market with them for composting toilets. I dump mine in a low spot. Mechanics like a little for oil sweeping. You can compost it and use for garden uses. Add manure and such. It does not burn easily.

5.  Anybody sell firewood from the fall off? I assume "fall off" is the outer slab wood. I used to pile mine up and burn as needed now I sell it for a pittance to a few neighbors for kindling and small wood heater use. If you are in the right area you might sell or give it away for campfire wood or such. I am not that good at marketing mine and am just glad to have someone else take it away. I give any local woodworker anything they can find and use in my slab pile. Be careful as to insurance liability about such but I do it anyway - I don't have a big call for that.

Thanks!
If you have specific questions you can use the search here and likely find it. If not post it and you will likely get a prompt response. Try to keep your questions in the right threads for better/quicker responses. Experience will be your best teacher but go to any workshop or sawing demo available in your area. I pick up some little tip that saves me time, money and shoe leather every time I go to one. The dumbest sawyer out there still probably has some tip or technique you will find useful. Stay safe and keep posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Since you "moustache" these questions I must answer!   8) Seeing as how I have a quite nicely cultivated cookie duster.

Belts are at the top of my spare parts list.  Blade guides/rollers and or bearings.  Spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter.  

I've tried metal detectors but have found handheld battery powered metal detectors just don't do the job in wood.  The cost of a metal detector that would perform sufficiently in wood will pay for a couple of boxes of blades.  I saw and if I hit metal I either dig it out or discard the log depending on how embedded the metal is.  My go to tools are a hatchet, a cats paw, channel locks and vice grips.  Lately, metal strike blades go to the recycle bin.

I'm not sure of a specific resource to point you to for woods, uses etc.  I typically have looked up specific species when I run across something I'm not familiar with.

The Tree of Heaven - ailanthus.  It can be a nice wood for cabinets or turning.  I hear it is hard to get it to dry without warping and splitting but don't have first hand experience.  I don't think it is very rot resistant.

No reason sawdust can't be used on walking trails except it is sticky and soft when wet.  I compost or give away most of mine.

Some sell the slabs in bundles for firewood - customer cuts to length.  Others saw them into firewood lengths and sell it.  I saw some of mine for my own stove, I give away a lot.  Rarely do I sell slabs.  In my area there's a firewood glut.  The guys that sell firewood have a surplus so I don't need to enter that competition.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

belts is the most likely to fail in the middle of a cut.  If i order a replacement part, like the spout that drips lube on my blade, I get two so I have a spare.  i have extra energy chain parts.  i have extra filters.  even for a routine change, should not have to run to the store.  i buy some online if they are rare.  and i can usually get 3 for the price of one.  i have a detector, but it usually comes out after i hit something.  often the blade is stuck in the cut, often broken and or bent.  so the slab has to be cut away anyway.  I saw this tool a @customsawyer place in Georgia.

made by crescent in this case, first use, still has the tag on it.  in this case it was a piece of wire, and the blade made it through.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

we milled some tree of heaven.  it has twisted enough, that @Cardiodoc may use it for kindling.  the upper log had some stress during cutting.  it did not smell bad as had been advertised.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=108941.msg1752380#msg1752380
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!