iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horned owl's demise..

Started by chain, July 03, 2010, 10:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Checking a field yesterday near the edge of a swamp-thicket, we came across very fresh severed parts of a Great Horned Owl. One wing found was severed off at the first joint of breast, the head was completely severed, all other remains[carcass] not found but many feathers about.

I'm assuming the owl either came down on its prey and was caught or, mistakenly dove down on a bobcat of which the 'cat made an easy meal of the owl.

'Cats hang out and hunt the area quite frequently, lots of rabbits and squirrels, birds to feed on.

Patty

Yikes! That must have been some fight. I have seen a horned owl that was angry and it was NOT a pretty sight. They get pretty large as well, must've been a BIG cat.

We had a group of geese enclosed in an outside pen. A great horned owl swooped in and killed everyone of them, ripping their heads off. I came out the next morning to find about 30 dead geese scattered around the pen. It looked like once the owl started killing them, it just couldn't stop  until the last one was dead. Kinda like a frenzy or something. Very strange.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

RynSmith

Just curious, Patty, how did you know it was an owl  ???

Patty

Just an educated guess on my part, Ryn. The geese were all beheaded, but not torn up much otherwise. I can't think of another predator that would kill in this manner.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

kenkayak

the N.E.Forestry Foundation lot I worked this early spring had four owls who carried on till late in the day [I dont know what kind]This lot that was severly dammaged by wind was/is filled with wild life and granite harvesting history.The tom turkeys were the largest ive seen./kenkayak

pineywoods

Quote from: Patty on July 03, 2010, 04:17:00 PM
Just an educated guess on my part, Ryn. The geese were all beheaded, but not torn up much otherwise. I can't think of another predator that would kill in this manner.

Otters, and sometimes mink will do just what you described.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

I'd say weasels too.  :)

They go after the head so they can then consume the blood. Don't usually go after the meat, etc. (googled to confirm that)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

seen coons and possums do it also. not 30 birds... but maybe because there was only 15 chickens.

Norm

On the farm I grew up on the neighbor raised domestic turkeys. After a certain size we'd move them out to a pasture with open shelters to finish them out. His number one killer was great horned owls so I've had plenty of experience with them. At first you could trap them but then the regs changed and all he could do was use a propane cannon to scare them off. Between the owls and foxes it didn't take long before he built barns to finish out in.

These were actually pekin ducks just about butcher size in a varmint proof wired enclosure. The only way in was from above. That was the last time we raised ducks for meat.

Thank You Sponsors!