iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2022

Started by Ianab, December 31, 2021, 11:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Its 10F here this morning.  I know that already because I was standing outside a house where a gentleman with covid had fallen and cut open his forehead.  We limit the number of guys that go inside unless more are needed.  The funny thing is that I felt colder than I did yesterday morning about the same time when it was 6F.  I was standing at my command station mounted in the back of my fire department pick up truck and did not feel that cold until the fire was brought under control.  I guess adrenaline makes you not notice it.  I was smart enough to put on my bunker gear before I left the station.  We have a warm up coming and may have had our coldest for the winter yesterday.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

woodroe

22 below, been quite a few years since its been that cold here, a real
3 dog night. and 2 wood stoves burning some Oak. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

Still in the minus out there this morning, at -18, but does get up to above 10-14 above at high noon.  
Could be in the single digits all day.
That OWB is going through some wood at night.
That truck did some groining when it started.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Well, it's another below zero day, at 7:00 it was -14°, and we're forecast to get snow late tonight!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

As my Father use to say, gotta warm up to snow.
When it's cold, not many clouds in the sky.
I betcha them squirrels got their tails pushed upon their backs this morning!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

We are going to get something here, even though the guessers said no storms for several days. That's not what my eyes are seeing. Cloud bank in the south, smoke going to the ground from the NE, warming into the 20's in the next 24 hrs. All signs of snow coming soon.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Mount Katahdin this morning, you can actually see more of it than most days, extending to the north (right). Most days we only see the high point to the south (left). Snow helps reflect the light enough to see it all. It's no small mountain.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Look like the whole NA continent is below/near freezing  :)

except the bottom  half of florida, the arizona valley which phoenix sits in, and coast of california. 

Northern parts of florida almost freezing....miami in the 70s
A1

Gere Flewelling

My son texted me a picture of his old style mercury type thermometer this morning.  He is in Washburn Maine.  His was reading -38 on the outside wall of his house.  :o He lives near the Aroostook River and his area always seen to drop a little lower that areas just to the south a few miles.  This was the coldest temp. he has seen since he moved up there.  He said his dog didn't waste much time taking care of business this morning.  
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Gere Flewelling

SwampDonkey that is an awesome picture of Mt. Katahdin.  You must live on a high area to see that.  I got a glimpse of the same view back in November when I was driving south on Rt.95.  You see it for a few seconds at 70mph on the highway and then all of a sudden it disappears.  I have driven that route many times over the years and had never seen that view that I could remember.  I think it has always been in the clouds every other time.  Thanks for sharing! 
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Don P

A little further down the trail this morning. The sun is almost on the barn shop so time to go light the fire down there. It was 13F here this morn. It might be plowed but its all ice now. I cautioned someone in the last week or so about a broken back shed roof on a big barn. This is a little barn with a big pile of packed snow on that pitch change.

SwampDonkey

Don, Probably nice there in summer down in those hillside crotches, but a little difficult in winter. ;D

SwampDonkey

Gere, almost on the peek of a horse back hill here, my aunts place is a little bit more on top. I can see cell tower lights to the south and north and Oakfield, Maine windmills, where as down the road a 1/2 mile there's hills blocking everyone's view. Can't see a thing until you drive up by me, then you can see 55 miles westward. ;D

Jim_Rogers

Icy mess outside our home today. Not fun at all.
We're not going anywhere today.
I shoveled a bit, but it is froze solid.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

woodroe

Here is something that could affect our climate for awhile in the future, the Tonga-Hunga Volcano
in the S Pacific. Supposedly the largest volcanic eruption on Earth in a century, Talk is it could
have a cooling effect from the ash.
Pretty good rundown on it in the video and some sound effects at 4 mins. in from 65 km (40mi.)
when it blew. Shock wave went around the globe 3 ? times.

Aftermath of the Biggest Eruption Ever Seen from Space - Tonga - YouTube

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

That big one that blew up in Indonesia 100 years ago sure did. The whole darn Island was gone. I think between Java and Sumatra. Been growing back again ever since.

wisconsitom

Cold, small snowfalls.  Good winter working conditions.  Most comfortable days are highs around 10 F with sun and little wind.  Any warmer and your clothes start getting wet.

Easily the best season in the northern woods is winter!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

Nice pictures swampdonkey!!

SwampDonkey

And it reached 23F this afternoon, and them clouds are not right over us yet. I know it was warm walking, no wind, sunny, and heavy wool on. The wool coat was a bit too warm. Like I said before it has to be 'cold' to wear that wool coat. Low teens or colder. :D My bean boots are not really a hiking boot, but some toasty. There isn't really anything for cushion between the soles and felt lining, nor a shank. I stuck wool insoles in them, but not a boot you want to walk hard road or cement in all day.  :D Great for snow shoeing and walking in snow or going to the woodshed for a wheel barrow of wood for the night. ;D  I've got better hiking boots, but these are so convenient to slip on. I don't even tie the laces, I stuff them inside. ;D

Keep warm. fire_smiley

Don P

Krakatoa
This book is a good read;
Krakatoa — Simon Winchester's website

I've wondered how much clean air was contributing to the current problems, or rather, whether we could throw up a sunscreen that would allow adjustment of the thermostat.

goose63

Benn snowing all say with more to morrow and the DanG wint is blowing good thing mw snowblower has a cab with a good heaterin it :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

Another cold morning at -6. Should get up into the mid 20's today.

SwampDonkey

+6F here and SW wind with clouds. Soon be snow I suspects.

Chuck White

Well, it's a little different this morning, it's 22° up on the hot side of zero!

We did get another inch or so of snow, and still some fines in the air!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

10° this morning and don't need the minus sign!!!! 

Thank You Sponsors!