iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Much needed help/info needed-230TJ

Started by riverlogger, February 10, 2014, 11:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

My 79 225 has the shutoff on the transfer but like you say it could have been ordered like that or it may be a older transfer
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

riverlogger

Thanks for the info guy's. I'm going to attempt some better pics today. Out of curiosity what is the wheel base length of a 230?

bushmechanic

Well just looking at that last pic of your machine and I would guess that you have a 240 with a 353 engine in it. That front looks awful long for it to be a 230. The line is supposed to be for your winch clutch and as Neilo said it was probally pouring oil out so they capped it. Your going to have to get that clutch cylinder rebuilt to get that winch pulling again. Nice machine you have there I'm jealous! I don't think your going to be able to run chains on the back, awful close those tires are to the butt plate.

riverlogger

Hey guys if you haven't noticed by now I am absolutely lost on this tj.  That being said I am at ground zero on this new found baby of mine.  There are no companies here in the south that I know of that services anything below a 240tj. I have been told by some of you on here that a company named "swintons" I think carried tj parts. I need to order a rebuild kit for the winch since im going to pull it anyway to inspect everything and its obvious it probably has some issues as you pointed out what with the hyd line being capped off. If you guys could please direct me to the best place to order the parts I will be needing ie: clutch packs, seals, shims and whatever else is a given when you take a winch apart. Thank you all for the help.

riverlogger

Hey bushmechanic I just posted again as you was leaving the reply. I was looking today and noticed that as compared to my friends 208 (which supposedly has the exact same frame) there is a whole lot of space between the front of my engine and the radiator. I honestly believe that I could squeeze a 6bt cummins in that frame.

Maine logger88

I get all my tj parts from Harrolds logging here in Maine they have about anything that you would ever need I can pm you there number if you like

riverlogger

Also it seems that even though shes a powershift there is less space in the leg area than the ones with the straight shift. Im a big guy and man im gonna have to do some manufacturing in the cabin. Im looking at rearranging the seat and sitting sideways in the cab like on the later model machines just to open up more leg area.

riverlogger

MaineLogger Yes please pm me with that info and thanks a million for the help.

bushmechanic

Hey riverlogger if it was me I would remove the winch and disassemble it first then see what you exactly need cause those parts can get pricey. Don't worry about being lost because there's a great bunch of guy's on here and are only too glad to help. I think that's a 240 myself.

riverlogger

Thanks bushmechanic. I will say that I have never seen a site like this where the members all pitch in and assist each other. I was a forest ranger/wildland firefighter with the Georgia Forestry Commission years ago and my friends and I would sit and discuss things at work just like you  guys do on here. Makes you feel good and proud to know that there are still good people in the world that enjoy helping each other.
p.s. you think it has anything to do with the forest connection ;)

David-L

parts are available in VT also, just about anything you want for the machine. The shop i am talking about does the 200 series exclusively. you can PM me and get the # if you wish. bushmechanic, is that bigger hyd tank 240 specific or did that show up on some of the 230 super E also.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

bushmechanic

I think your on to something about the woods connection....... Anyway I was looking over that pic of the mystery lever. that's a E model timberjack so I would say that that is the lever that operates the manual hand brake. Looks like the cable that operates it is missing. Check the operators cab and see if there is a handbrake lever in there. The Eaton transfer case that we had in the 230D forwarders had a double brake on them one on each end and on the lowest shaft of the case. The front one had the handbrake on it and it was lever operated. Not sure David-L about the tank.   

riverlogger

Thanks bushmechanic. It does have a handbrake in the cab. Its actually lying behind the seat mounted to some part of the transmission/battery cover I believe. Also the mico brake is missing from the dash in the control panel. (assuming this year model had the mico brake lock on it)

Maine logger88

If it has the hand break it shouldn't have a mico lock which is a good thing IMO.

riverlogger

Guy's I'm a Cummins fan. Give me the pros and cons of putting a 4bt from a bread truck in place of the 353.

Thank You Sponsors!