Sponsors:

Dealing with wild hogs

Started by LeeB, April 07, 2017, 11:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Those hogs have to remember that as a bad night :D
Too many irons in the fire

caveman

I went out with some of my students several years ago one night with their dogs.  They used hounds to locate the hogs and then turned the catch dogs out-black nosed curs.  It is an adrenalin rush for certain chasing them through the swamp.  When the dogs grabbed the hogs by the ears, the boys would hold them down and they had some handcuffs with three rings that they clicked around the feet.  If it was to be a catch, castrate and release, the hog was put into the dog box in the bed of the truck and cut loose at the new location after a very sanitary and diligent surgery. 

Some of these hogs have a bad attitude and can wreck a good dog.  The wild hogs are much more athletic and resilient than the domesticated hogs.  I have seen them go over fences and through others. 

When I would trap them, occasionally I would invite one or two for supper.  They would viciously bang into the trap fence boards while snarling angrily.  I would draw and imaginary X between the ears and eyes and put a 22 caliber bullet on that spot, drops them like a ton of bricks (old saying).  Rather than getting in the trap/pen with the remaining ones that still had a pulse and providing them a source to relieve their pent up aggression, I would grab a leg with a rope and lift them out.  I have a hog snare now and that would have worked better.  In those days we still had a basketball goal in the driveway.  I would hoist them from the hoop and pressure wash the smelly beasts prior to skinning them. 

I wish all of our invasive species tasted as good as young pineywood rooters.  We could have Brazilian pepper sauce, tropical soda apple pie, Kudzu greens, python and rice, Bufo toad legs, fried parrot, and many more.
Caveman

petefrom bearswamp

Regarding invasive species.
Off the subject but in 2014 while at our house in Florida my wife had a Cuban tree frog land on her neck in the middle of the night
Needless to say the scream woke me out of a sound sleep and the three stooges couldn't have better done job of what transpired until I cornered it in the bathroom wrapped it in a towel and liberated  it outside.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Taking Sadie (my beagle) on a ride through the property late this evening.  There was a large drove of wild hogs in one of my food plots.  I counted 27 hogs.  Sadie got to bark at them. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Your tale reminded me of the morning my wife opened the screen door, hit the cat who was holding a fresh caught chipmunk in her jaws. Cat dropped the munk which ran up my wife's pant legs with much yelling and screaming going on until she accidentally stepped on it and it expired.

Okay, back on subject a young wild hog was scrounging scraps meant for the dog at my grandfather's house in Dixie County Fla Christmas morning 1960 when I was 7. The dog defended his meal chasing the dog under the house which was by chance the high water mark of the Suannee River. I went out to watch and when I squatted down to look under the house the hog charged and thanks to a faster younger brother pushing off me in his successful escape attempt leaving me in the path of the angry swine who cut me twice across the knee before I rolled away when the dog came to my rescue. Grandpa rounded the corner and the hog remembered he had left something on the other side of the county and hurried to get it but he did not outrun Grandpa's shot. I ended up bent over the hood of a car at the doctor's home interrupting his Christmas dinner and got a tetanus shot. The dog, for saving me, had a front leg cut to the bone but he got less treatment than me. As far as I know there is still a hog skeleton buried there in what used to be an old garden. Bottom line - be careful messing with wild hogs. Even the young ones can hurt you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on April 12, 2017, 08:20:53 PMThere was a large drove of wild hogs in one of my food plots.
You better stick to trees.  Actually is was a sounder of wild hogs.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

One man's drove is another man's sounder  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Savannahdan

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

A whack, a drove, a gaggle, a sounder. 

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

gspren

When talking to younger nieces, nephews, etc. I always try to use the wrong wording just for the reaction. Herd of Geese, flock of deer, school of chickens, etc.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

newoodguy78

I do the same thing with my kids and nieces an nephews. The look on their faces is priceless when it dawns on them what I just said.

bluthum

The AR Game & Fish Comm.wants rid of them bad. So do I, they are an all around plague. Official word is trapping is the only hope to control the numbers now days they even sell traps at the farm store. Anyway the AGFC is a great source of info on all this.

As for eating that is the only good part. I've smoked even large boars with great success. A  smoked ham or shoulder [skinned first] is excellent.

There is a lot of concern with disease, wearing blue or green[nitrile] surgical gloves while cleaning is a good idea and I would certainly keep the dogs away from any uncooked meat or offal.

coxy

gspren

Quote from: coxy on April 26, 2017, 09:16:43 PM
what diseases do they have

I remember hearing Trichinosis which is killed if cooked thoroughly or kept frozen for an unremembered period of time. I always just made sure it was well done.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

bluthum

What diseases they have?

PRV, pseudorabies, brucellosis, FADs, swine fever, hog cholera, foot and mouth and no doubt more I can't recall.

There are threats for humans, other live stock and dogs to name some.

Anyway this is a big topic and I'm in no way qualified to answer it halfway properly.

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

They can be OK if you pen them and feed them for a couple of months to clean them out.  Otherwise, the meat is tough, gamey, and nasty unless you get a pig.  A big sow or a boar are tough as leather and the boars can taste rank. 

florida

They eat good and there are lines of people who will pay for the privilege of hunting them. As far as trapping that works but nature hates a void. Get most of them off your land and the others will come from around you to fill the void. A regular drop door trap works just fine. You won't catch them all in one trap but the traps are quick and cheap to build. We caught 27 in 3 traps in one night several years back. We loaded them up, took them home, put them in hog pens and fattened them up on $10.00 a pickup load of day old bread then sold them. Only made about $300.00 but that paid for a lot of corn for our turkey feeders.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Thank You Sponsors!