iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy with a hobby mill

Started by MAF143, March 13, 2018, 10:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAF143

Hi,
I'm just getting started with a sawmill.  My neighbor and I have gone together and got a Woodland Mills HM126 so we can make some stuff from our woods.  We opted for a low cost hobby type mill to get started.  We both have day jobs and are looking at this as a hobby, not a business.  Fence, some sheds, a table or cabinet, stuff like that. 

We both have been heating with wood for years and decided to do something more with the resource at hand. Between the two of us we have plenty of woods.

We are both looking forward to learning great ways to use the wood we have available.  I have been reading a lot on this site and the wealth of information here is AWESOME.  I hope you won't mind me asking some rookie questions from time to time, but I am here to learn and share what I know (if anyone is intersted).

The mill was delivered last Thursday and we finished setting it up (between hectic schedules of other fun stuff) on a trailer for now till we get enough Locust 6X6 posts cut and sunk for a solid foundation.  Then a shed will go up around it.

I've been reading a lot about site layout and access to the mill so we're hoping not to box ourselves in a corner...  

Thanks for having me.

Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Crossroads

Welcome aboard! Be careful, your new milling addiction could get in the way of your woodworking addiction 😊
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  The only dumb question is an unasked question.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Welcome!  Let the good times roll!

Southside

Welcome to the forum MAF143,

Be careful around that locust sawdust - it is a very dangerous gateway drug as inhaling just a little bit can be very addictive - and can build up in your blood resulting in a long term addiction which will grow to include other tree species and spread to owning other equipment such as edgers, kilns, and planers.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

This is true. I just cut my first pieces on sunday and can't wait to cut more.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.
You will like it here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Darrel

And as soon as you shut the mill down after a job you will start obsessing on your next sawmilling fix. 

Welcome to the addicted sawyer's club, aka Forestry Forum. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

Yea - before long you begin to attend group support sessions disguised by clever names such as the "Pig Roast" and "Sycamore Project" - terrible, slippery, slope....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its only just begun.  :D You'll love it know matter which way your mill takes you. 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Skipper11A

That's a good looking mill.  It will look even better when it's covered in sawdust!

goose63

Crusarius welcome to the F F I've had Woodland mill 126 5 years now it's a great little mill I would put it on a trailer like mine your back will thank you and clean up is so easy just move it there will be a lot of junk fall under it

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

york

Welcome,yes get your post in the ground,you will get sick of the trailer...
Albert

MAF143

Thanks everyone,
We are planning on getting the posts in the ground this weekend and getting it moved on the foundation.  We were sick of that big wide trailer after the first time stepping up on to it, but it was a quick stepping stone to getting it running and getting the foundation posts cut.

We are planning on it being elevated enough to be about the same height as the trailer bed.  I have seen many of you mention to keep it up off the ground to save your backs.  I'll post some pix when we get it moved to the foundation.  Hoping that locust will last many years.

8)

We're having a blast cutting and learning about using it...  Fantastic Hobby
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

MAF143

We got the foundation for the mill set and moved the mill onto it Sunday.

<
First row of posts in

>

Rails on posts and ready to put the mill on.  We snapped off a bunch of galvanived lag bolts and switche over to 1/4" x 4-1/2" Spax.  We will NEVER buy lag bolts again.  Not one Spax snapped off in the locust.  Even pre drilling for the lags we snapped off 3/8 and 1/4 galvanized lags bolts.

<br
Backed the trailer up to the rails, soaped up the rails and slid the mill off the trailer onto the rails.

Celebration started at that point.  8)  Beer o'clock...

We are pretty stoked about having the mill in place.  We'll spend a couple evenings adding the extension, leveling, and getting everything lined up nice and straight.

Then start on a roof overhead to keep the rain and snow away. 

Banjo picker

You are not gonna act like you didn't take a picture of it on the new foundation are you?   ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kbeitz

Lags are one of the cheapest bolts made today... Junk....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

50 Acre Jim

Hey, welcome to the forum MAF143 !  

I bought a Norwood Mill about 6 months ago and immediately started to plan out my sawmill shed.   Then all kinds of stuff started happening.  Had 2 houses to remodel (my rentals) which took some time.  Then winter brought snow, rain and ice which made it impossible to work on the shed.  Anyhow, here I am, months and months behind.  

The hardest part of owning a sawmill is not being able to use it.  Anyhow, looks like you guys are makeing great headway and having a blast at the same time.

See ya!  

Jim
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Jemclimber

Congratulations on your new addiction!!! 

Your locust posts in the picture appear to be honeylocust and not black locust? ? ?  Are you familiar with both?  
lt15

MAF143

Actually, we were so stoked and wanting to get the tools put away that we did forget to take pictures of the mill on there till after we had the tarps over it...  DUH!!!  I'll get some pictures when we get back to leveling and tweaking her in.

I am familiar with both black and honey locust.  I'm not well versed on the difference, but I was under the impression that the honey locust have more thorns on them than the black locust.  So I have been gathering the ones with barely any thorns.  I have found several back in the woods that were cut many years ago (at least 15 -20) and just left laying there.  The bark was gone and sapwood was punky, but the heartwood was hard and tough.  A lot of that got cut and split for firewood and it is a hot long lasting fire.

Please fill me in on which is best for long lasting building material and how to really tell the difference.  We are a little late on these posts, but I'm wanting to learn as much as possible.  Hoping to get 10 to 15 years out of this foundation although John is much younger than I am and I'm sure he's hoping for 40 years out of it.  Also getting a shed up around it may extend the life of the posts as well??

I'm wanting to put a deck on the back of my house using locust, I need to know more about getting the best wood for the job.  I have heard of others using black locust.  I understand it is not buggy and resists rot for many years.  I could also treat it with Tim-Bor if needed.  I have used that in the barns to keep out powder post beetles.  From what I've seen though, the locust shouldn't need that treatment.

We learned a lesson on lag bolts...

Life does get in the way of fun productive stuff sometimes.  I've had my share of setbacks over the years, and kinda feeling like I'm hitting my stride a little late in life.  Keep pluggin'.  Having two of us working together also makes it go faster and much easier.

Thanks all.

Magicman

Black Locust will virtually have no sapwood, usually about 1/8" and it will last "forever" in the ground.  Honey Locust can have an inch or so of sapwood and will not last as posts in the ground.  Whether or not it has thorns will not differentiate between the two.  Google the two different species for some pictures of the bark, etc. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MAF143

I spent some time on line looking up the differences between black locust and honey locust.  I took a quick ride back through our woods last evening and I was only able to locate a few black locust.  Almost everything on this side of the creek is honey locust.

:(   :P
Somewhat dissapointed, but after reading a lot about it, there were mixed reviews.  In general the Honey locust isn't as good at rot resistance as the Black, but is still a pretty tough wood.  I'm still probably going to use it for a deck on the back of the house, but sink concrete foundations instead of directly putting the posts in.  I'll use some type of sealer on the deck also.

Hoping that will give it 20 years and I don't think I'm gonna care too much after that...

redneckman

Quote from: Southside logger on March 13, 2018, 10:18:05 AM
Welcome to the forum MAF143,

Be careful around that locust sawdust - it is a very dangerous gateway drug as inhaling just a little bit can be very addictive - and can build up in your blood resulting in a long term addiction which will grow to include other tree species and spread to owning other equipment such as edgers, kilns, and planers.   :D
I was born an addict.   You will fine out soon that the forum is addictive as well.  A bunch of sawmillers telling big lies.  Who wouldn't like that? :D :D :D
Seriously, these guys are great and the experience is invaluable.  Welcome to the forum.

MAF143

We got the rails leveled, straightened out, and screwed down on the foundation today.  We took our time making sure everything was straight and true then made some test cuts.  Still a little vibration that bothers me, tomorrow we'll loosen the bolts in the cutting head frame and settle it in and re-torque everything since this is the first time on a leveled out set of rails. Shout out to goose63 for that tip.

Test cut on a small Ash log after the rails were all straight and level

Getting it all straightened and level

Looks good to me, time for some test cuts

My neighbor at the helm, this ash piece was just a teaser.

Then we cut some 2 by tens out of a locust log.  Time for first oil change and a fresh band in the morning.  

Thank You Sponsors!