iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizers service

Started by BandsawBen, April 01, 2020, 09:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandsawBen

I am wondering who has any experience with woodmizers service. I got the mailer and was thinking about taking them up on it. I feel like my mill is running pretty well but, having bought it 2nd hand as an estate sale with no training or advice. It may be nice to go over with someone who knows about it. Ive run into a few minor problems and with the help of the search feature on ff ive been able to solve them super easy. Iam mechanically inclined, and super cheap so thats the only reason i wouldn't want to pay the 650 dollars plus parts. 

donbj

If you are mechanically inclined and have the manual there is no reason you can't look after this machine yourself. Sometimes a guy gets in a pinch and that's where a call to their service dept can help.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

moosehunter

Bsb, I was in exactly your position when I bought my saw. The $650 was a hard pill to swallow but I learned more in the 4 hours the tech was here than I had learned in the previous year. He probably won't show you how to saw but what he can show you about your saw is invaluable. The manual is great but I'll take hands on experience any day over a book. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

caveman

Yesterday, I took some of our blades to a guy who retired from WM.  He sharpens for us sometimes.  We visited on his porch (six feet away from each other) and caught up.  This man knows his stuff and I am looking forward to him coming to my place to go through our sawmill with us once it is safer to be in close proximity to folks.  Every time I talk to him I learn a lot.  I told him to make sure he plans his visit around lunch or supper time so that we can eat some ribs or something tasty.

He shared some of his WM stories with me like the time he bent the blade guide arm on an lt-70's log clamp while doing a demonstration in South America.  He declared a 45 minute break while he realigned everything.  Sometimes having someone who really knows what they are doing offer a few pointers can really improve production and quality as well as.  He also shared a few tips on sharpening - another descent down the slope that we will eventually slide. 
Caveman

BandsawBen

Thanks guys i have had the saw for almost two years now but, have been sawing since 2006. I have the sawing down pretty well but,giving the machine a overall check up would be nice with a tech that knows this rig. Plus iam not sure but, maybe have them look at my edger. I just cant get that thing to cut straight. 

WV Sawmiller

I am less than mechanically inclined although I did manage to reinstall the head and get everything back up and running on my mill after a traumatic incident last year. I have used the WM service team and they are super. Not sure how this virus lockdown is going to affect their service loop scheduling. They are friendly, thorough, knowledgeable, and informative and will show and can help you understand the entire process. They have a very well stocked service truck. Last time they came to see me I had a bad bearing issue 2 days before so he replaced both bearing in the idler wheel. Cost me $20 extra for the 2 bearings - I could not have driven to town and bought them for that let alone include the removal and re-installation. If you have them come be sure to give the mill a good washdown or power wash to remove any dirt and sawdust so they can see and work on everything and help spot any issues. I highly recommend you have them stop by if you get the chance. It is time and money well spent IMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I can perform any replacement or adjustment on my sawmill, but I still schedule a factory field service about every 4 years:  Wood-Mizer's Field Service in Sawmills and Milling
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!