iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I cooked my Husky 359

Started by Sprucegum, August 31, 2005, 02:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

I suspect the biggest change (and I have similar experience with my 'old' '75 Stihl) is the influence of the 'greenies' and the EPA regs that make it tough to engineer the new saws. I don't expect my new MS361 to have near the stamina and performance that my old Stihl had (and still has). For many, they won't know the great performances of the old Huskies and Stihls, and probably what they don't know, won't bother them.  Just a thought of what is happening. I think each of the companies are trying to make the best saw on the market, or at least just a bit better than the competition.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jokers

Quote from: pantherlakecutter on September 30, 2005, 02:22:00 PM
What I can gather from this thread is that Huskies aren't what they used to be and Husky dealers are pretty much a bunch of shysters.
Interesting perspective given that Sprucegum admitted that he ran outboard oil, which is formulated for much lower temperatures, and old gas through his saw. I feel very badly for Sprucegum because he obviously didn`t realize the risk in what he was doing, but why should Husky or a dealer hold the bag on this breakdown?

Quote from: pantherlakecutter on September 30, 2005, 02:22:00 PMIf you have to baby these saws get something that can handle real use. My old Stihl will run great on year old mix....
Bet it doesn`t on modern gas left to get stale!

Now your just talking incredibly,
.......and has never had a serious problem in thousands of hours of hard use..including "chipped" parts and switches breaking.
 I doubt that any manufacturer has had more broken switches than Stihl with their Master Control Lever.

doesn't any company make a decent product and then back it up anymore?
Both Husky and Stihl still do, they just don`t want to pay for user abuse and mistakes. Why should they?

Russ

pallis

Solo has the best warranty in the business, and they are easy to deal with if you don't mind doing business over the phone and through the mail.  (Assuming you aren't near a Solo dealer).

sawguy21

Solo is virtually unknown here because dealers are almost non-existent. Which is why our pros will never use them. Service is king.
Warranty is meant to cover defects in workmanship and materials. It is not intended to make up for operator error or abuse. Maybe a larger dealer with better trained mechanics and a more customer oriented attitude could have covered it but who knows. FWIW, Husky does not insist their oil be used during the warranty period, unlike Stihl. They do, however, recommend it as they know it works and there are a lot of incompatible oils available.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

StihlDoc

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 02, 2005, 11:00:49 AM
FWIW, Husky does not insist their oil be used during the warranty period, unlike Stihl.

To clear up any misunderstanding, at least in the U.S., a manufacturer cannot insist on a specific brand of oil as a condition of warranty if there are suitable substitutes available in the market. If a manufacturer makes an oil brand mandatory in order to obtain warranty coverage, the manufacturer must supply the lubricant free of charge to the customer for as long as the warranty period is in force.

Sprucegum

My cloud has a silver lining:

When I couldn't get what I wanted from my dealer I took my saw home in parts. I found a guy who said he could clean the cylinder good-as-new and went shopping for a new piston, which I found at a new dealer across town.

This dealer wasn't new, he'd been around a long time and cared about his product - cared enough to stand me in the corner and yell at me til I understood the importance of using the right oil in fresh premium gas. ;D ;D

He didn't just look at the gas he sniffed it and told me how old it was. Tricks like that impress the heck out of me.

Long story short: my 359 is running again for $191.56

Just to be sure I also bought a saw at Sears for $192.36 ;) ;) :)

Kevin

Quoteand Husky dealers are pretty much a bunch of shysters

I don't think that makes any sense and it's probably  offensive to some of our Husqvarna dealers here.

D Martin

I think 50 to 1 for milling isn't enough. I melted a 3120 in a 30 in oak ,paid for the repair (cause I bought it used) got it back and smoked it in the same log a week later. The dealer ended up covering it on his repair waranty it but tried to blame me at first for dirty gas said there was sawdust in it and the gas filter clogged therefore leaning it out. Well' I know my gas was new, my filter was new and  I watched the tech drain the gas ,the sawdust came off the saw itself. I told him I dust the fill caps every time i open them with a paint brush . I dont use my chain mill much since I got a band but if I do its 40 to 1. The dealer said milling may void the waranty but the wording is not there to say that.

jokers

Quote from: D Martin on October 02, 2005, 08:56:41 PM
The dealer said milling may void the waranty but the wording is not there to say that.

D.Martin, here are two excerpts from the standard Husky warranty stating that Husky may not cover the costs associated with a failure.

The first, from the warranty section "OWNER`S WARRANTY RESPONSIBILITES"

"As the small nonroad engine owner, you should however, be aware that Husqvarna Forest & Garden may deny you warranty coverage if your small nonroad engine or a part of it has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance, unapproved modifications or the use of parts not made by the original equipment manufacturer."

And the second, entitled "WHAT IS NOT COVERED".

"All failures caused by abuse, neglect, or improper maintenance are not covered."

subsection "ADD-ON or MODIFIED PARTS"

"The use of add-on or modified parts can be grounds for disallowing a warranty claim. Husqvarna Forest & Garden is not liable to cover failures of warranted parts caused by the use of add-on or modified parts."

Since Husqvarna doesn`t market a chainsaw mill, a chainsaw mill is an add-on part which exempts them from warranty coverage. Even Jonsered who markets a chainsaw mill would find exemption unless you were using their mill. Chainsaw milling could also be considered deliberate abuse because chainsaws aren`t made for milling, they are made for crosscutting.

Stihl`s warranty has similar disclaimers within. I`d suggest that anyone planning any chainsaw milling with a saw under warranty should cultivate a good relationship with their dealer.

Russ

sawguy21

Stihldoc, that is interesting. Here, the Stihl warranty policy states that if their oil is used in certain products for consumer use, they will offer a two year warranty. Otherwise, it is one year. They say nothing about supplying free oil. Do they offer different warranties outside the USA? I know it is a scam to market their oil and have taken some flack from customers over it but Stihl Canada is very strict about warranty claims. They also refuse claims if the product was not registered.at the time of sale which is questionable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

StihlDoc

I am not familiar with the warranty laws in Canada. The "extended" warranty if you purchase STIHL oil would not be a violation of warranty laws in the U.S. since there is warranty coverage without purchasing a specific oil, you just don't get the extended coverage.

woodmakr

Hi all, new guy here.  I've been reading and learning a lot for a year here so finally got registered.  I find these warranty issues especially interesting since I live in a small 1 dealer (Stihl) town and may make future purchases online.  The dealer used to have Husky and I think Redmax but didn't sell enough of them to keep them around he said.  I think it's just like a car dealership, if you've spent a lot of money there or the dealer just happens to like you, they can do more for you than they would otherwise.  This dealer has a sign that says "we service what we sell FIRST, others when we get around to it"  I'm not knocking the concept but it is now a Stihl or nothing to get top service.

It doesn't look like Husqvarna is opposed to milling in general or should use that as a reason to deny a warranty claim.  If they do it would look like a double standard since you can get a 3 year warranty on a 385 if purchased with the Logosol mill.  At $999 it's more than some places but I think that includes bar, chains, sharpener and some other add-ons for the mill. 

small links are best

jokers

Quote from: woodmakr on October 04, 2005, 11:34:29 AM
It doesn't look like Husqvarna is opposed to milling in general or should use that as a reason to deny a warranty claim.  If they do it would look like a double standard since you can get a 3 year warranty on a 385 if purchased with the Logosol mill.  At $999 it's more than some places but I think that includes bar, chains, sharpener and some other add-ons for the mill. 

Hi woodmakr,

Welcome to the forum.

In your quoted statement, who exactly offers the extended warranty? It`s not Husky, it`s Logosol, so I`d say that your conclusion that "it doesn't look like Husqvarna isn`t opposed to milling in general" isn`t well founded.

As I said before, cultivate a good realtionship with your local dealer and in all likelyhood he will side with you on warranty issues where he has any latitude.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!