iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Yellowhammer Sees and Saws Stuff

Started by YellowHammer, May 19, 2022, 11:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Walnut rules were made by the "Walnut Baron's" years ago.  Application seems most relevant when the lumber is steamed and sold on the wholesale market to manufactures. 

In today's retail trade, I don't think any of the grading rules make sense to the average woodworker.  Most only see lumber as good or junk.

One trick some are doing is selling FAS1F.  To get those boards their robbing the 1C grade.  Customer is basically paying FAS prices for 1C lumber.

YH, your on to something with the HHA high grade stuff.  Good on you! 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

In the foreword of the NHLA rule book, it states "hardwood board is graded on its useable content.." so is meant for further cut-up (manufacturing) and not used as a whole board like softwood and the softwood grades (in general). Helps explain the sizes, the cutting sizes and percentages of cuttings of those certain sizes. 
Suspect it is also for the members of the NHLA to know what to expect from a grade when buying and selling. 
Don't know of any restriction that the buyer and seller can't agree on their own rules, i.e. clear both faces, no sapwood, etc. etc. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KenMac

I have seen hardwood lumber graded Select and Better. was told it's FAS 1 Face.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Don P

That is what I grew up with, Select is FAS1F, the inside of that box is lined.

And catching up, the similarities in pith and mature wood is chemical but not structural. It is built with the same stuff but quite differently.

Thank You Sponsors!