iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feed rate control help

Started by Bruno of NH, December 22, 2022, 12:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I'll buy "emergency" repair parts from WM because they are expensive but will work and they ship fast.  I do the same with all my other equipment to get back up and running.  Then when the parts come in, I will cross reference it with the actual manufacturer part number (WM doesn't build them, they buy them and resell) and sometimes I can get the same exact part at a huge price discount.  I don't thanks it's a WM markup, I think it's whoever supples the parts to WM, some have a big markup, some don't.

Either way, if a part has failed once, it will fail again.  The price will go up the next time I need and order it, and if I already have a spare in my cabinet, then it's pretty quick shipping.  Sometimes, the part I think is bad isn't the problem at all, so I can immediately proceed with the troubleshooting process.

I hope you get up and running quickly.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GAB

I hate paying more in freight than for parts.  That is why I ordered two potentiometers when mine failed.
When one of the four little drum switch springs failed I ordered more than one.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Percy

Read the whole thread here. Can't say for sure what your problem is but if it is infact the speed control pot, the same pot exsists in the control panel of the WM drag sharpeners. Dont know if you have one but when mine died many moons ago and I was still running a drag sharpener, I had enuff blades to get me by so I robbed that one......
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bruno of NH

I'm just getting the inventory built up of extra parts 
This I didn't have
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

The mill needs an h bridge
I don't care for the WM electrical techs 
They are always rude to me.
My WM saved my life but I'm only taking x amount rude talk.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Since you were "dead in the water" with power feed travel, I was afraid from the beginning that you may have an H bridge issue but I was hoping not.  Potentiometer problems are normally intermittent and erratic.

I have never experienced any of the rudeness that you are describing??  They have always been above and beyond being helpful to me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

H bridge.  Not good.  Sorry to hear that.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Dan_Shade

Here is a link from @MartyParsons where he provided troubleshooting tips a few years ago.

Feed module troubleshooting

Hope this helps.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bruno of NH

The part going bad doesn't bother me as much as the rudeness. 
I don't treat my customers like that so it's hard for me to swallow. 
This was more than the first time it happened to me .

beenthere

For sure, we don't know what the conversations were like. But sometimes it is a two-way street. Wish you better luck from here forward. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bruno of NH

I'm always polite 
There is more to my story with a problem I had a year into my mill.
It's a long story but was left on my own to figure it out.
It could have cost me my mill to a electrical fire.

Bruno of NH

When I got switched to the electrical tech I let my good friend and hired man handle it . I never told him about them and he brought it right up to me when he came in the sharpening shop.
Sheila says I'm polite to a fault.

Southside

I find some of those types are blunt and to the point, not much of a bedside manner. It's the nature of their personalities, extremely detail focused, can sit there and read literally thousands of wiring diagrams while trying to explain to some folks how to turn on their multi-meter, while four more lines are flashing with customers on hold. 

They aren't trying to be rude, they just have a different job to do and maybe it dosen't come across as unicorns and rainbows. 

Put yourself in their shoes and try to diagnose electrical issues over the phone with someone on the other end who doesn't know a relay from a diode. 

When I was in Kansas we had an oil pressure problem with a walk in freezer in Virginia. Had to walk my guy through everything, even checking the engine oil level. At one point he said "Where is the dipstick?", and I really wanted to respond that "it's on the phone" by that point, but I knew he was trying and was doing something he had zero experience with. 

It's hard to be cheerful when you are working under those conditions. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hilltop366

Quote from: Southside on December 28, 2022, 07:12:12 PMAt one point he said "Where is the dipstick?", and I really wanted to respond that "it's on the phone"

My next question would have been "which end?" ;D

Hope you get the mill up and running soon.

Bruno of NH

When the h bridge was ordered they took all my mill information from my customer card given to me when the mill was delivered. 
Thanks to Kevin member Crossroads reaching out to me today about my problems.  I realized they were sending me the wrong h bridge one for accuset 2 , I have simple set.
Had to call Indy and get that straightened out.
Extreme growth of a company sales in a matter of 2 years puts  to much of a strain on operations .

Magicman

I am surprised that there would be a power feed difference depending upon the type of "setworks"??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on December 29, 2022, 05:12:11 PM
I am surprised that there would be a power feed difference depending upon the type of "setworks"??

Me too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crossroads

Glad to hear that you're getting the correct H bridge, did they have one in stock? 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bruno of NH

There is one h bridge for accuset 2 and one for simple set $700 delivered vs $270 
And it's in stock 

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Bruno of NH

Still waiting on a h bridge to show up

Crossroads

Any idea how long it will take for delivery? If it's going to be a while, I have one I can send you 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bruno of NH

Hoping on Monday it shows up.
Ordered a week ago Thursday it didn't get sent till this Thursday. 
It took 4 calls to Indy to get it shipped 
I'm a little disappointed 
I'm trying to change my attitude about things like this and be a better person. 

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 07, 2023, 04:41:40 PM
Hoping on Monday it shows up.
Ordered a week ago Thursday it didn't get sent till this Thursday.
It took 4 calls to Indy to get it shipped
I'm a little disappointed
I'm trying to change my attitude about things like this and be a better person.
4 calls seems excessive, was an explanation given for the delay?

Bruno of NH

Was told it would ship a week ago Thursday 
Called Tuesday morning was told they had Friday off and UPS had Monday off
Told it would Ship out Tuesday afternoon 
No shipping conformation Wed. Morning 
Told it would ship out that afternoon 
And again Thursday morning nothing 
Called again 
:(

Thank You Sponsors!