iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new client and Quarry update

Started by teakwood, February 27, 2023, 07:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Remember this?

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=80957.msg1958438#msg1958438

We went to deliver the log and of course i wanted to go so i could see the construction and maybe make some more contacts. First flat bed truck let me hang out so i called a friend with a cattle truck, he said no problem, we just put that thing on top of the truck.  :D

when we get there we were wondering how to unload the log, foreman; no problem we have a tower crane there! that's a first for me here.

Look at the site where they build this project!! I ask the foreman, will this be a hotel? No, it's a private house, wow. the pools will be gigantic.

Job done, everything delivered with success. everyone was happy.
stumbled into the french guy, who turns out to be the constructor for this project and they only build for such clients, high end houses. Hey Ramon, how are you, nice log! We need 400m2 of deck for this pool area, 1600 boards, dry, without any sap wood, few knots and no defects, price: pretty high. need it in 2.5 month. Ok i said, i can make some samples. Long story short i told them that i wasn't able to produce such quality/ quantity in that time frame. No problem he said, i liked your approach and honesty, we will work together in the future. Nice i thought. 2 days later they sent the first request :D. not much serious provider of teakwood in CR. Even less in the quality they demand.

So the new request is a beam order, 8x6" 5.2m long, dry! in 3 month. about 15 beams.
Ok, i do a sample. You need some serious trees to produce such beams and they are hard work on a manual sawmill. log was about 500kg and the beam is 180kg green off the sawmill

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

nativewolf

Need to upgrade mill, manual mill is tough on old backs
Liking Walnut

Walnut Beast

Nice story and pictures 👍

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Oh and i landed a nice contract in the quarry. finally signed contract, the boarder will have a new construction, customs, migration and a big truck parking lot, think the whole project is 50 million $. 
the construction company is slowly starting to roll into the quarry, in 2 weeks the crushers should arrive

Resonator

You're doin' alright when the girl and the puppy are smiling! smiley_thumbsup running-doggy
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Resonator on February 28, 2023, 02:02:28 PM
You're doin' alright when the girl and the puppy are smiling! smiley_thumbsup running-doggy
Geez, I didn't even notice the pup. I should be flogged. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

teakwood

The beam order fell through :(, part of the business

hacknchop

That's business for sure but with your attitude towards work I'm sure that you will move on . Wishing nothing but the best for you and your family, as the saying goes just " Carry On".
Often wrong never indoubt

Peter Drouin

All you can do is give a price,  Sometimes take a 1/2 hr to do it. Then I get a call that they found beams for less $$
I love it when they call back because they don't like the lumber they got and want to reorder.  :D :D :D I say ok, but, it will be weeks out. ;D
They lose their place in line.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

teakwood

Quote from: hacknchop on March 02, 2023, 08:51:16 AM
That's business for sure but with your attitude towards work I'm sure that you will move on . Wishing nothing but the best for you and your family, as the saying goes just " Carry On".
that was just one order from this new client, they will be back, i'm pretty sure.  
i have about 10 estimates out right now, some of them will be confirmed as orders. at least now i have time to saw, stack, dry and fill the storage with lumber. that is very important too, last year i had so many orders i was always out of wood, not a good situation either 

teakwood

The quarry is getting some movement, they brought in some more toys, dang, this firm isn't playing around. 54to Dozer and 46to Wheel loader

doing testing on the material, had too much fines in it (plasticity) needed more pure stone. meanwhile waiting for the cone crusher to arrive

today we will clean this hill from his overburden, agreed to help them out with my excavator. will clean the ditch out and the dozer pushes the dirt away

teakwood

The cone is installed and the testing is complete, tomorrow full production starts.

The dust is unreal, our house is 150m away and it's bad, wife is not happy.

New Cat plant, 8hours, 500kw, C15 engine

almost done with the overburden, it would've taken me weeks to do this movement without the D9

Had some big stones near the house where i did the excavation for my kiln, the operator was so friendly to transport them down to the quarry, the 988 almost didn't fit.

Look at my skidder in the back, inside the lumber storage, looks like a toy

Doing another overburden clean out, i'm helping them with my excavator for free. but when they leave i will have the quarry organized and with all different layers of material exposed

GRANITEstateMP

are the trees on the hill your removing overburden from part of your teak plantation?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

hacknchop

Way to go! Hard work and perseverance prevail. Thank you for taking us along your journey.
Often wrong never indoubt

Resonator

Making progress! smiley_thumbsup

Best can say on dust control is have a water sprayer hooked up by the conveyor/stock pile (if the crusher crew is OK with it). 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Walnut Beast

teakwood

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on March 31, 2023, 08:17:58 AM
are the trees on the hill your removing overburden from part of your teak plantation?
yeah, all those trees without any leaves (dryseason) are my teak trees, 2005 plantation, 18years old now

teakwood

Quote from: Resonator on March 31, 2023, 08:53:06 AM
Making progress! smiley_thumbsup

Best can say on dust control is have a water sprayer hooked up by the conveyor/stock pile (if the crusher crew is OK with it).
I don't have any big water source near the quarry and the permits would kill this request. we need to live with the dust, rainseason will wash it away eventually  ::)

Firewoodjoe

That's great. Good job on the success. Dirt work was always a second best to my logging choice. Love the big cat! 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Ljohnsaw

I thought of you as I was flying in to Madrid on Saturday.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Firewoodjoe

Thank You Sponsors!