iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gasoline Or Diesel

Started by 038magnum, January 28, 2012, 10:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

038magnum

I have been looking at Woodmizer mills and would like to know from all the ones that have the LT40's and up, which would be better gas or diesel powered? Can you tell a big difference? I know that diesels have more torque and maybe a little better fuel economy per horsepower. Is it worth it with diesel so much more expensive than gasoline. The engines are so much more expensive also.

red oaks lumber

welcome to the forum :) i always like to go with diesel whenever possible, the extra grunt(torque) is nice.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ohio_Bill

I have had both . IMO it depends on the amount of hours you will operate the mill.  The diesel uses about half as much fuel per bf, but the up front cost is substantial.  From a value  standpoint if you only use the mill part time I would go with gas  .  If you are going to operate  several 100 hrs per year  diesel  may be the way to go . The higher hp is nice .And by the way  Welcome to the Forum.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Brucer

I've got a gasoline powered mill and a diesel edger. Knowing what I do now about how bandmills work, I'd go for a diesel mill every time -- providing you're interested in production. For hobby work the gas engine will do the job and cost you a lot less.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

terrifictimbersllc

I feel safer handling diesel than gasoline too.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mad murdock

Welcome 038 magnum!  With diesel, you can make your own fuel as well. With gas you can make alcohol, but the BTU's per cc of fuel with diesel is greater=more work for the same amount of fuel.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ladylake

Diesel for sure if your going to use it a lot. I switched from a 27HP Kohler to a 29HP diesel which saws way faster and uses 1/2 gph where the Kohler used just over 1 gph, this is sawing with the blade in the wood a lot with a off bearer.  Saving 1/2 gph doesn't sound like much but by time I get 5000 hours on the diesel I'll have saved $8750 at $3.50 a gallon, plus cutting more lumber per hour.  Plus I only have to change oil every 200 hour vs every 50 hours.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

porcupine

Years ago I owned a 55 hp. gas Massey tractor, I thought it was the 'cat's meow'...a short time later I was able to try out a diesel with compatible hp. I sensed something different.

A few years later I rented a diesel truck to pick up a a car I purchased in Tennessee. My experience with pickup trucks have been limited to gas engines up to this time. It pulled that Jaguar through the mountains with out a hiccup. It was good.

Last year when my dormant sawdust infection became active again I was unable to physically inspect sawmills to purchase and I could only view them on internet videos. After seeing both gas and diesel mills in action for many hours, I was starting to "get it".

Several years ago I switched to Mac computers because they serve me better. Now I can say I've done the same with diesel engines too.

Can't find a diesel weed whacker though! :D

Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum 038magnum.  I have never run a gas operated sawmill, but I will say that I crank my engine twice a day.  Once at startup, and again after lunch and I use about 4 gallons per day.  If I had to replace it tomorrow, it would be with another Diesel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

and Welcome to the Forum 38MAG  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Im Diesel for sure ! And I know how you feel as Jesi and I are doing the same thing at the moment with the WoodMizers as I want to get a mill to cut the stuff we need for doing stuff around the house and afew other projects while a am home for the next 2 to 3months ;):) plus the fact I will just need my Fix  ;) :D :D We have been tossing up between two options

#1 get  lt15 18 or 25 GAS with an ext kit for about $7900 then upgrading to a Used Circular Mill or an LT70 & Edger diesels within the next 12 months then using the 15 for cutting long orders or portable work

#2 just stretching now getting an LT40hyd with the gas or diesel motor and using that for a while longer before upgrading down the track to a static mill and keeping it for portable work

Some off you will say just send your mills over that I have here  ;)  freights one issue but Dad will still use them for the Log & Timber Frame Building Business Here   ;) ;D plus the freight would be about what I could get a reasonable used Auto Circular or 2/3rds of an Lt40 sawmill for  ;) Uall  know I am a Lucas Man and Im dead set Ill get one there also as they are just a versitile handy mill  ;) ;D ;D 8)

What would you do ??

They are all good mills  :) :) but Im leaning towards the LT15 atm but just ask Jesi it changes from day to day I told her it will till I get home and have to get one lol  :) :) ;) :D :D

38MAG sorry for Hijacking your thread too Mate

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!