iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siatic nerve pain

Started by tree-farmer, April 26, 2018, 06:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 15, 2019, 03:32:09 PMI'm interested in the standing desk and how you like it. Been thinking of putting a couple of them in the office.
Been using the desk for a few days. So far so good. I got a tall chair with it so I can sit or stand without having to adjust the height of the desk. It's nice being able to change positions between sitting and standing.
This is the desk I got: Amazon.com: Stand Up Desk Store Two Tier Crank Adjustable Standing Desk ? Provides Enhanced Ergonomics and Additional Desktop Space (48", Black Frame/Black Top): Kitchen & Dining
I chose that one because there is space under the monitors where many of the others don't have that, making for much less desk surface. It's a good place to keep staplers, scissors, envelopes, whatever.
This is the chair I got: Amazon.com : Smugdesk High-Back Office Black Mesh Swivel Ergonomic Computer Desk Task Executive Chair : Office Products
It's ok but I'm not thrilled with it. Puts a little more pressure on the back of my thighs than I'd like. I also wish the back was farther forward. I like to sit more erect.
I also ordered a keyboard tray but it hasn't shown up yet: Amazon.com : VIVO Extra Sturdy Clamp-on Computer Keyboard and Mouse Under Desk Mount Slider Tray | 27" x 11" Pull Out Platform Drawer (MOUNT-KB05E) : Office Products
With the keyboard and mouse on the main desk it makes it difficult to write anything down on paper.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

I had my 6 week checkup with the doctor yesterday. They took x-rays and said everything looks good. I'll see him again at the end of June for another look and the way things are going at that point I'll be released from most of my restrictions and can start PT and more rigorous activity.

I continue to improve every day with less and less pain. I'm still taking it easy and doing lots of walking. That makes the dog very happy. It's so nice to feel better every day rather than worse.

The night before surgery, as we were getting ready for bed, I asked my girlfriend to take pictures of me so I could remember how it was. I was in a lot of pain as I tried to stand as straight as possible. And even if I wasn't trying to stand straight would have still be in a lot of pain. As well as being hunched over I was listing badly to the left.

Then she took these the night after I got home from the hospital. Hardly any pain at all (other than surgical pain). It was great to look and feel like a 40 year old again.

I'll try and get copies of my x-rays too for before and after comparisons.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Chuck White

Glad to hear things went well and you're feeling better Alan!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ed_K

That's a big difference, I'm glad your starting to recover. Keep walking that's what I did.
Ed K

thecfarm

WOW!! Those first 2 pictured bothered me.  :(  :o 
Glad things are better. 
Brenda had many operations done. It's always great to hear she is in less pain when she gets home.  :) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodpecker52

Hemp oil has really helped my back pain. 1,000 mg, New Age Naturals, bought off Amazon.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

alan gage

It's been a little over 2 months since surgery. Very happy with my progress and I continue to improve. Still some nerve pain if I move wrong or sneeze but not bad. Been doing lots of walking and small tasks around the yard like spraying weeds and watering some saplings. We've had a lot of wet weather this spring which has been kind of nice because I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. But now the weather has straightened out and this weekend about drove me crazy. Everywhere I look there's something I want to do but can't. Very frustrating.

Have to find someone else to carry a dehumidifier into the basement.
Can't help load the shaper and edge sander I just bought.
Can't lift the cab on my skid loader to find a leak.
Can't cut down those nearly dead trees in the yard of the house I just bought.
Can't de-sticker all the lumber that's now air dried.
Can't start leveling the pad for my soon-to-be new shop.
Can't carry construction garbage out of the basement.
Can't split firewood.

Can't wait until my next doctor appointment at the end of the month when I'll hopefully get some of my restrictions lifted.

Despite all the complaining I am thankful that I continue to feel better everyday. So nice to feel it getting better instead of worse. Now it's time to watch a couple of old Seinfeld episodes and cheer up.

Alan

Southside

I hit a lot of plateaus during recovery, seems like you make an improvement and just a little bit more is impossible for quite a while, then you step up again. Keep your spirits up and you will continue to get stronger. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

red

Swimming that's your answer. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

alan gage

Quote from: alan gage on June 09, 2019, 10:06:57 PMEverywhere I look there's something I want to do but can't. Very frustrating.

Have to find someone else to carry a dehumidifier into the basement.
Can't help load the shaper and edge sander I just bought.
Can't lift the cab on my skid loader to find a leak.
Can't cut down those nearly dead trees in the yard of the house I just bought.
Can't de-sticker all the lumber that's now air dried.
Can't start leveling the pad for my soon-to-be new shop.
Can't carry construction garbage out of the basement.
Can't split firewood.

The good news is that I think I could do all of those things but I'm still under doctor's orders to keep from lifting anything over 10-20 pounds and to not bend or twist my lower back.
It was easier to not do anything just after surgery when I was still in a lot of pain.
Alan

Ron Scott

Know what you mean, but follow doctor's orders on lifting.
~Ron

samandothers

After 5 months Doc raised my lifting from 25 to 50 and said come back in 4 months!   :o  ::)
Was hoping for release.
Mine was on the other end of the spine.  Glad to be doing as well as I am. 

Glad you are improving!

alan gage

Recovery continues!

Just back from the doctor for my 3 month checkup. They did x-rays and said everything looks good. At this point there is little danger to damaging the fusion so he released me on my own recognizance. Said to start increasing activity as I can tolerate. Pay attention to how my body feels during and after activity and to try not to do anything stupid (paraphrasing).

It was music to my ears!

Alan

alan gage

I've got so many things I've been waiting to do that it was hard to decide last night! In the end I hauled walnut. Last fall a windstorm uprooted one just a few blocks from my mill. The large limbs had been cut off but the main trunk was still attached to the root ball. Felt great to fire up some chainsaws (which haven't run all year) and do some real work. Got 2 1/2 trailer loads of big limbs and that trunk (36"x10'). Didn't feel any pain but was careful how I worked. The skidloader did all the lifting but it sure was nice to be able to turn around and look behind me when driving it.

After I got done I had a stupid grin and my face and couldn't wipe it off the rest of the night. Felt so good. Woke up this morning feeling fine.

Alan

Ed_K

That is great news 8).
Ed K

samandothers

Glad you are back at it, great news!  Ease into it, don't over do.  

firefighter ontheside

Well, I have to join this discussion.  I have been having pain in my hip/butt that would occasionally radiate down my leg all the way to my heel.  It got really bad about 2 months ago and I went to the doctor.  He did an xray and said I probably had at least one compressed disc.  He gave me oral prednisone and it got better for about 2 weeks, which was just enough time for me to go on a vacation to Croatia and be pain free.  When I got home from vacation I started physical therapy.  It seemed to maybe be helping but then the pain came back almost as bad as before.  I contacted the doctor office and they ordered the MRI.  I just read the results from that and it seems I have 2 bad spots.  One is between L4 and L5 and the other is higher up.  Now I'm waiting for an appt to see the doctor and see where I go from here.  I told my mother about it and she apologized for passing on bad joints.  For sure I'm going to need to make some changes to the way I work.  No more lifting heavy things by myself.  I do that a lot.  I will have to start using the tractor more.  I also need to start walking every day I think.  I'm not overweight by any means, but I have put on 5 to 10 pounds in the last few years.  I guess my habits of youth will not serve me well as I age.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doctorb

Injections may be in your future.  Let's see what that doc says.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Southside

Speaking from experience doctorb is spot on.  Find a good sports medicine or pain med doc if you go that route.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raider Bill

First indication I get of siatic pain and I hit my inversion table. It works.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

firefighter ontheside

I told my wife that I was probably going to do some inversion, but I want to ask the doctor before I start hanging upside down.  I would be very happy if injection would quiet this down and then I can manage from there with exercise and stretching.  I was doing physical therapy once a week, but quit going when the pain was too much.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

inversion should not hurt and may relieve pressure, but there may be inflammation and a steroid shot would address that.  Look for a pain doc.  It is worth a try.  I am not a big chiro guy, but they feel there can be movement of the pelvis sacroiliac joint and they try a "drop table" to move stuff around to decrease pain.  If you find yourself near Hutch, I will get you in with Dr. Fan.   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Raider Bill

What works for me is to not to exceed around 130 degrees. 180 tenses me up, hurts the knees and ankles. 130 is my sweet spot.
Also I never hang longer than 12 minutes at a time.
Once a day if there is an issue till gone which is normally no more than a week, once a week for maintenance.
Biggest problem is the table is big even folded.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Old saw fixer

I had sciatica problems for years, both sides but thankfully at the same times.  I finally consulted a neurosurgeon who ordered an MRI.  MRI showed that Arthur was living between L4 and L5 right where the root of the sciatic nerve emerges from the spinal cord.  Doctor Richardson set me up for a spinal laminectomy which was successful. Leftover symptoms from pinching the nerve so many times is a drop foot and a weak right leg.  On the other hand, i qualify for a handicapped tag.  I don't use the privilege all the time  since there those much worse of than I, but it does come in handy at times.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

firefighter ontheside

I would probably be alright with laminectomy if that was recommended, but I'm not interested in fusion.
Is there any way to do traction instead of inversion?  Seems that would be more tolerable for long periods of time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!