iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I beam strength

Started by Firewoodjoe, October 18, 2019, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Ok I'm getting some w10x22 I beam that are 23 foot. I'm going to add another beam to my garage for a over head hoist. I can not figure out the calculations for load it can handle supported at each end. It will be the full 23 foot. Can anyone give me a hand? I came up with 25,000 pounds. Seems high 🤯

Mike W

Check out engineering toolbox.com on the net, what I used for the I beam to use as a header for a 22' span opening only supported on each end.  Google will lead you right to the site, the calculator is free to use and shows the allowable deflections in both the "y" and "x" axis.

Firewoodjoe

Well I got 3-23' 8" w10x22 for $450. I found a chart that states 15,900 at 22 foot span. Should work great for my shop.

Firewoodjoe

Would you guys rather have a mobile rolling gantry type or a over head crane about 20x20 part of the shop? Or just a single beam in rafters and use the other two I beam elsewhere.

Ed_K

For me I would go for one down both sides and the 3rd attached to the trolley to reach anywhere in the shop.
Ed K

Don P

A couple of things to double check there. A W10x 22 is a common sized wide flange beam (The W in that designation), the 10 there means it is 10" tall, the 22 means it weighs 22 lbs per foot. The flange for that shape is 5-3/4" wide... there is no 8" in there. If your beams are something else post all your dimensions to get the true beam properties.

In A36 steel the allowable table load for that beam is around 15,000 lbs of UNIFORMLY distributed load, that is not the same as a point load at midspan, it'll be in the neighborhood of half that. If you go rolling on a gantry, which is what I dream of in my shop, reduce that more.

The other common steel possible is 50ksi which has higher working load, it should be marked on the web of the beam along its length.

Firewoodjoe

They are w10x22. They are 23 foot 8 inches long. Engineering tool box shows 16,900 at 22 feet. I'd be very happy with 10,000 and will most like never hit that.

Firewoodjoe

I see what u mean about uniform load. So 7000 would be safe.

Firewoodjoe

Looks like 4000. I guess that's still ok. Thanks.

Don P

I was reading more last night. Lateral support, or lack of lateral support, is a big concern on a long free span like that. It was dropping off the safe load tables I have before it got to that span. I'd talk to an engineer.

Firewoodjoe

I should be able to take care of lateral support I'm thinking of running two beams 23 feet parallel about eight or 10 feet apart then run a third under those.  The third beam would be for lighter loads to travel 8 x 23' area 

Den-Den

From 25000 lbs to 4000 lbs ??
I second Don's suggestion to consult an engineer.  Designing a beam involves more than a simple calculation and some welding.  With a long beam like this, it will definitely need more than just supports at each end, otherwise any side load or imperfect support would cause it to buckle and fail.  Also may need stiffening ribs above the supports to prevent the web from buckling.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Firewoodjoe

25000 is for a uniformed bridge beam. 4000 is a engineered mobile gantry crane kit u purchase and assemble. Both using the same w10x22 beam. I tend to over build and the more I think about it I will most likely never lift more than a large Diesel engine at 3-4,000 pounds. And the beam will be 23 foot but by the time it's on pillars and braces installed it will be closer to 20 foot clear span. Again thanks for the help. I will tread lightly:)

Gary_C

I will third Don's suggestion to consult an engineer. There are a lot of factors that go into the proper design of a beam beyond the size and type of beam and span. Things like type of supports, simple or fixed plus any bracing needed. 

To error is human but with a lifting beam, failure can be fatal.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Al_Smith

My shop which I built has two 20 foot tram rails made from recycled crane beams with a lateral movement of 38 feet also hoist rails .The rails are manufactured by using a hard portion on the bottom with a softer on the top and much stronger than just a standard structural I-beam .By using both tram rails and 4 chain falls the most I've lifted has been around 8000 lbs but that weight was at several points of lifting across the beams,not  centered in the middle for example .
Each end of the movable rails are secured to the lateral non moving beams by two trolleys each side rated at two tons each .The chainfall trolley spanners  are also rated at two tons each .Better safe than sorry .Failure is not an option .
I've lifted the entire assembly of a 60 foot Hi-Ranger bucket truck and transferred it to another chassis .--Believe me when I say that was a job .

Thank You Sponsors!