iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally starting my sawmill shed.

Started by ForestMan, December 22, 2010, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestMan

Have not done much with the sawmill since I bought it last February.  Have sawn some cedar and mesquite.  Great saw, no real problems at all, except occassionally I run out of gas :)

I have started a shed for the sawmill.  It is going to be massive.  Using telephone poles!  Amazingly, I can get them for $2 per linear foot.  A 15 foot pole costs $30.  Not bad for a very sturdy structure that should last a very long time.

We are notching the tops on both sides, then placing 10' 2x10s on either side.  I need to work on the notching, not low enough.  This should provide good support for the roof.  It will be a 30' span with engineered trusses.  This should allow me to bring in any length log that I would be interested in, straight on to the mill.

Have a ways to go yet, but so far we call this Stonehenge.

There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Magicman

One small step for man.  Looks like a nice start to me.  When I grow up, I want a saw shed too.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Are the poles not tampted in the ground?  Just curious as to why the bracing is necessary.  Sure looks like a substantial start though!

fishpharmer

Nice start, looking good! 8)  i'm curious about your pole length above and below ground?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

riverswamp sawyer

Yes Sir..... Looking good!!

You will be really proud of that roof this summer after you have sawed all the shade trees into lumber!

Chuck White

Those utility poles are a real good choice to build on.

That saw shed will be there for many years.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wannasaw

I told Santa I wanted one of those... Maybe next yr. Congratulations and nice job!
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

ForestMan

The shed will be 20 feet deep by 30 feet wide. 

I am using double 2x10s as a ridge to hold the roof.  Sorry, I'm not a builder.  I don't know the name for it.

We cut notches on either side of the poles so the roof will bear weight directly on the poles.  We also plan to use two half inch carriage bolts per pole to secure the 2x10s to the pole itself.  It should not go anywhere.

The poles are 13+ feet out of the ground, on one end, almost 14 feet high.  The other side that has not been done yet, as we have a slight slope in the land, will be between 12 and almost 13 feet high.  But that's the advantage of building a post and beam structure.  You can adjust for slope easily.

The poles are only about 3 feet in the ground, resting on a cement foundation.  We did tamp them in, but we are in sand.  As it rains, it will become more secure.

The bracing was only a temporary measure before we installed the 2x10s.  We really don't need them anymore.  We just have not taken them down yet.

I'll have to continue posting photos as we build.  It may take a while, but it should be very sturdy when it is complete.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Thank You Sponsors!